GreaseSpot Cafe

Environmental Catastrophe

markomalley

Have any of you seen or heard what is mixed in that water in the New Orleans cesspool?

- Petroleum

- Petro-chemicals

- Disease, untreated waste, etc

Can you imagine what will happen to the ecology of Lake Ponchetrain when they pump that stuff into there...or the ecology of the delta...or the ecology of that part of the gulf?

Shrimp, anybody?

Since the city is being evacuated and is a total loss, maybe they should think about how to clean that junk up before just pumping it out.

A serious point, I'm not trying to be flippant or sarcastic here.

I saw a question raised about the bodies and the answer was they pose No health risk as long as they are in the water.

oh lord. I do not know what to believe when my brother died and laid in his house for five days the state gave us 24 hours to put the body in the ground. maybe because he was not in the water, I do not know. When they start pumping that city out they had better have some 'plan" on what to do with them for sure. they have to figure out who they are many are naked and ripped apart. How the hell will they find out who they are? it will take weeks and they can not have all these dead bodies around they will have to freeze them up no electricity hello.

it is something.

BTW, the agency responsible is the US Army Corps of Engineers. Not the state. Not the city.

Now the state and the city can apply political pressure to accelerate the pumping. The news media (sorry Raf) can apply media pressure and stir up the public to accelerate the pumping. And poliitical action committees can put pressure on. But it is the federal government's responsibility to operate those pumps.

(I say this because with the relief effort, I was being very defensive when people attacked the federal government without corresponding attacks on the local and state governments)

The other thing:

Please help me watch the media. Are they going to start attacking if the pumps don't come online immediately? Or will they bring up the environmental issues?

No matter what they do, though, I have one prediction: it'll be Bush's fault.

And mstar, I agree...any shrimp I eat for the next several years better be imported shrimp icon_frown.gif:(-->

Once they get everyone safe, I hope that they take the time to do it absolutely right. The future is a long time and recurring and/or secondary problems that could evolve or can be foreseen should all be taken into account while rebuilding. Pump it and rebuild it right. I will be watching, especially if the governor or mayor start complaining-they have already proved themselves somewhat inept and not good decision makers.

on a sidenote

My apologies if I came on too strong earlier during the heat of the moment against the feds-- Im not exactly well versed in the legal power transfers from state/local/federal authorities, but I abhor watching any people suffer.. I was aware that the locals were also inept although I may have never stated that....

I will be watching...

Im not sure if there are any shrimp off my coast or not--but i'd sure like to bring some of those now out of work Chefs up here and start a Louisiana style restaurant----mmmmm

coolchef it has happened before not to this scale tho, the levy has broke and floods have happend and many have lost all to rebuild. they love the bathtub town.

of course they will rebuild but this time because of the Federal amount of money I bet they will have to be darn sure it will be as safe as possible. it will always risk flooding it is a bathtub.

If this was a private corporation, they would be elegible for Super Fund Cleanup with all that stuff in there. By now even the soil is contaminated with it.

Mark is correct. This could be an ecological disaster that could come back and bite us real hard if we don't think this through.

quote:
Have any of you seen or heard what is mixed in that water in the New Orleans cesspool?

- Petroleum

- Petro-chemicals

- Disease, untreated waste, etc

Can you imagine what will happen to the ecology of Lake Ponchetrain when they pump that stuff into there...or the ecology of the delta...or the ecology of that part of the gulf?

We did horrible stuff to the environment from the turn of the 20th century until the early '70s. Probably way worse that what's going on in New Orleans. It may take a couple of years to clean up, but it will.