GreaseSpot Cafe

Life On The Searcy County Frontier Vol 4

Ron G.

Today we got news that a busload of 75 to 100 evacuees was on its way from New Orleans to our little town of Leslie, population 485. It seems we have an old church campmeeting dormitory tucked back in the woods that most of the locals never knew existed. We all went out and cleaned it up, stocked it with food and put fresh sheets on all the beds. We brought some washers and dryers and just about anything we could think of to make it comfortable for these folks. We even got satellite TV hooked up, internet access, and are trying to get several tvs for the folks.

We want to welcome these folks like visiting royalty.

We were talking to one of our neighbors, Phellknap, whose grandpa told us all about some refugees that came from Oklahoma after a real bad tornado, many years ago, and he figured that's how they knew about the place.

Anyway, I'll take some pictures of our big adventure, email them to a moderator so they can get uploaded here, since I can't do FTP anymore.

Since I have a big 5 bedroom house, I've been asked to maybe house a family here. I said I would, so we'll see how all that goes.

We wiped out the contents of all the local church foodbanks and after looking it over, I think we might need to invest in some Beano.

If anyone's interested, I'll update.

I'm praying with you

We have been asked to take in an undetermided number of people. So far all the hotel space is gone and we are looking at other buildings to house them including a closed hospital. I am about 350 miles from the disaster and while folks are optomistic they are alos very concerned.

Our guests haven't gotten here yet, but will most likely get here tonight. We've been doing construction projects all day...building shelves, storage sheds, closets, putting up some clotheslines and doing some rewiring. We got two or three truckloads of groceries and are just about all set.

We installed central air and heat and a big generator since these folks might be here for the long haul. Our winters might be quite unpleasant for somebody accustomed to the Gulf Coast.

As I said, our little town has a population of about 500 while Marshall has 1200 or so. The total population of our entire county is about 7000 (cattle outnumber people 6 to 1). It'll be difficult to absorb that many people into such small towns, especially if any are seeking jobs. I found out today, our guests are not coming directly from NOLA, but from Ft. Chaffee. The evacuees could just as easily be from Biloxi or anywhere else on the Gulf Coast. We won't know until they arrive.

Some locals are anticipating trouble and have stocked up on ammunition. The prevailing attitude, however, like that of hillbilly and southern rural folks everywhere, is we'll give you whatever you want or need and treat you like family as long as you treat us with the dignity and respect with which we treat you.

I'm sure these folks have been screened for criminals at Ft Chaffee, but just to make sure, the Sheriff and a few deputies will be keeping a watchful eye as they get off the bus.

You have to remember, the Sheriff and his 4 deputies, along with Marshall's two traffic cops and our one highway patrolman are the only law enforcement for the entire county. We're kinda on our own here.

I'll be sending up some pics as soon as I get new batteries for my camera.

An intersting note here...

With the notable exception of yours truly...yes, ME...Ron G....There has NEVER been a Way presence in this county...no twigs, no Corps, no clergy, NADA...EVER.

Yet we've NEVER been hit with a hurricane. We have some world class ice storms, but we manage to get through them. We get an occasional tornado and have had some torrential rains and a few high winds, but we always survive.

Evidently, God looks out for others besides Wayfers...isn't that ironic?

ron god bless you and your town!

i wish i were in a position to help

i don't think any of them victems can get to maine but if they could we will help

my club has over a million members strong have declared the 9th of this month as our day to kick in and help $wise

we want each member to put 2 bucks in a jar and the next day it will go to one of our clubs in texas earmarked for the local red cross so we are sure it is going where we want it to

quote:
Originally posted by Shellon Fockler-North:

quote:
I've been asked to maybe house a family here. I said I would, so we'll see how all that goes.

icon_eek.gif

My prayers Ron

For whom?

Just kidding. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Let us know if you need a hand with supplies, Ron.