GreaseSpot Cafe

God is good!

BikerBabe

Back in March I got the news from my birth sister (I'm a reunited adoptee) that our Mom had cancer and it had metastasized. I had only been with Mom in person 2 times in my life and wanted to fly back home to see her and say proper goodbyes. That turned into a big mess, due to the fact you can't fly without ID and all of mine was lost in the last move we did. The state refused to give me even a photo ID unless I could come up with 3 forms of 'other ID' they have on their little list. I only had 2.

I just got done talking to my sis in IM and she told me that the last surgery Mom had revealed she didn't have cancer as the tests showed, but a bad infection. The surgeon got it all and she is now recovering nicely. She is going to live!

When I realized I probably wasn't going to get back there to see Mom, I did the only thing I knew to do. I prayed, as my sis was also doing. God honored our prayers and we aren't going to lose our Mom to cancer. icon_smile.gif:)--> My tears of sadness are now tears of joy.

I'm very humbled and in awe of His power. Thank you God for loving us and taking care of Mom in the way only you can.

I am glad that your Mom is okay.

I find it interesting of recent how so many government offices want more and more forms of ID. In the process of a recent move, I needed a PO box. I have had PO boxes previously and it never took any more than filing out a form and handing them money. But this time, they wanted prove of residency. I had a land deed on me but that would not do. They asked for a recent utility bill, or local Driver's license. But both of those things first require a mailing address.

Getting a Driver's license was easy (after I had the PO box), but then opening a local bank account, they wanted three forms of picture ID for both myself and my wife. Fortunately I carry my passport, Military ID, and licenses from California, Washington, Connecticut and now Maine; but my wife only had her military ID and one license. It took six weeks, going into the bank once a week trying to get it all straightened. They could not accept signature cards without them being notarized, but they had no notary. The cards were rejected when handed in seperately. We had to re-do them both, and hand them in together along with all needed forms of photo-IDs. By then the bank had such a 'hold' put on the account, that they did not know how to remove the 'hold' so we had to withdraw the money, after this bank had it for six weeks. All I wanted was to open a local checking account.

It's been hell trying to get ID again. I have a divorce decree and a true birth certificate (not a copy), but they won't give me a state photo ID unless I can come up with one more form. They suggested a social security card, but I need photo ID to get that replaced. They suggested paperwork from the state when I was on their medical help before I was married years ago, but they require ID before allowing access to the files.

They now say they will take a copy of my marriage license, but in order to get that I need to get downtown and we don't have a car. I'm back in my wheelchair again for awhile since this Crohn's Disease flare is nailing me pretty hard, so getting around isn't easy and of course they won't mail you a copy. When a friend is in town in a month, I am hoping he will have time to run me around town so I can get the marriage license copy and then try for the 3rd time to get a photo ID.

While I understand identity theft is bad and agree precautions need to be taken, they have let this get way out of hand. I'm really getting tired of being a 'non person'.

Good news BikerB!

That's ridiculous. I think you can get a passport easier than a driver's license. My hubby just did, and all he sent was his birth certificate.

I went to the DMV to get my new name on my driver's license, and a marriage certificate wouldn't work. I had to show a social security card with the new name on it. I went to social security got the card and then went to DMV. Yeah, it's a dang runaround.

I got my name changed on my passport and had to only send the marriage license.