GreaseSpot Cafe

Adult Attention Deficit Disorder

oenophile

Do you know how frustrating it is when you are trying to watch tv and someone else has the remote and is flipping through the channels?

That's how I feel when reading a book or newspaper. I find myself having to read and re-read the same paragraph before I extract it's meaning from it. It seems that my mind stealthly drifts off into other streams of consciousness. Perhaps a word or phrase I read will remind me of something else and I find myself reading words and thinking about what I have been reminded of.

Sometimes I find myself in a meeting and missing piece of information. That is so frustrating.

I am taking strattera which has helped. Can anyone else relate? Would someone else like to share similar experiences.

It's not a stretch to guess that a few among us may be in the early stages of Mrs. Wierwille's affliction. Scary, when you think about it. It's thought that certain nutrients can halt the loss (a component of curry, for example). Be tested.

You might experiment with cutting out certain elements of your diet, to discover a possible allergy to the food, or drink, or an additive in it. Maybe there's a deficiency (vitamin, mineral, protein...) somewhere too. A nutritionist who counsels clients might offer some additional insight.

Fatigue can also deprive the mind of focus. Current research shows insufficient sleep can be harmful.

Just a few thoughts. I wish you well.

Sounds like Adult ADD. You may want to talk to your doctor and see if he will consider letting you try Adderall. Have considered it myself, I get so sick of my mind multitasking me to death some days. If I'm not doing 3 or more things at once I get utterly bored to death. I will drift off like you are talking about too when reading or watching TV.

Have you tried listening to the radio, watching TV and reading a book at the same time? Can you keep up with it all? Most with ADD can. Been doing that all my life and thought it was normal till I got older and realized it's not.

God first and last

Beloved Oenophile and others

God bless you all

I have been doing it for years but the more I talk to Christ the less I do it with meditateion

I have even talk about three subjects to my friends at the same time

I try to use it for a while Speaking in tongues in my head and out loud at the same time

But just try meditating on a word, subject, or verse while asking God about it in your head

This help me learn to focus better on what I wanted to do

But it like anything it takes try and try again as you build trust that you can it

Now I still think, talk, and write about three things at the same time but not as must

I hope this helps

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

It isn't fun when you skip from thing to thing and can't stay with something.

Do you eat much sugar?

Do you deal with on going depression?

I want you to ask yourself those questions and I don't expect a response on this public forum about the answers.

I have trouble sticking to stuff at times and sugar and depression add to the issue.

I also do not stay on the same subject when talking to my friends and loved ones. I talk in a circle about things. I start with one thing, change, change, and go back to the first thing. I do try to let people know when I'm going to switch and will make more of an effort not to do that if people say it's bugging them.

I am pretty sure I have that disorder. I'm very fortunate that my husband decided early on that he wasn't going to be disturbed by my talking about several things in a conversation, switching subjects alot. I do try to say "Switching subjects now, okay?" or some other heads up.

Try some stress reduction techniques and see if that doesn't help.

Suggestions:

Chanting

Listening to new age music that you like (sometimes known as anti-frantic music)

Walking

Deep breathing

Less TV

Good luck!

quote:
I want you to ask yourself those questions and I don't expect a response on this public forum about the answers.

Do you eat much sugar?

Do you deal with on going depression?

It's ok, I really don't mind coming out of the closet on this issue. When I consider the cost / benefit ratio, I really don't care about what people think who would stymitize me and look down their nose at me. They have a worse problem than ADD. It's not an shame issue with me. On the other hand, I think there are people out there who like Biker Babe, Year 2027 and Reiki Lady (congratualations btw) who struggle with ADD and perhaps others who have loved ones who are ADD and need to understand the nature of ADD.

In answer the questions that you pose Reiki, I do struggle with depression, I do not consume too much sugar other than two cans of ginger ale a day.

Perhaps I change subjects a lot during a conversation. On the listening side, I follow along with what the speaker is saying then it's almost like static snow on tv and then I return to the conversation but missing a piece of the puzzle. My former wife used to call this phenomenon "dreaming of pregnant butterflies."

The Strattera helps. I find myself tuning in better now to conversations and read without having to go back and re-read sections as much.

On online IQ tests that I have taken (which I understand are not exactly valid measures according to what a psychologist told me), I score significantly higer (gifted) on untimed tests than on timed tests (above average). I have read and know from my own experience that a feature of ADD is a delay in the initial processing of information which is a handicap when performing tasks under the pressure of the clock.

Edited by oenophile

"I have read and know from my own experience that a feature of ADD is a delay in the initial processing of information which is a handicap when performing tasks under the pressure of the clock."

That is interesting. I experience that as well, and so does Aaron. But in my case, I never thought of it as being a part of ADD so much as a pressure issie. I.E. I get so caught up in feeling the pressure of the clock that my "brain freezes" and I can't remember the answers to the questions. OR (and this occurs with untimed tests) I reread the question 5 times to be sure I understand what is being asked. Sometimes a duck is really a duck and sometimes I think the duck is metaphorically referring to something else and it causes me to second guess myself over and over again.

Oeno:

I think I told you the process I went through when my son was diagnosed with ADHD (distinct from ADD). We started him on Concerta with some good results, but had some side effects we did not like. When Lilly came out with Strattera, I was working there with some of the team that developed the drug, so information on ADD, ADHD, Adult ADD/ADHD and Strattera was plentiful. (A number of the Lilly employees and their children volunteered on the tests for the drug.)

As I went through the information for Joseph, I was surprised to see that I scored high on the adult ADHD tests and my adult son on the ADD tests. Both of us have found lots of helpful information in identifying our situations, learning struggles we've had in both high school and college, and coping mechanisms we've developed for our unique life situations. It's interesting that I've settled in an occupation very suited for ADHD-type processing - - marketing - - where you are constantly juggling multiple balls in the air and require an ability to change gears quickly (yeah, no problem for an ADHD person!), but as I've become more knowledgeable, I've found how many coping mechanisms for the disorder I've learned to employ daily.

I would recommend the Lilly Strattera site ( Strattera ) for some good information on adult ADHD and, of course, on their non-narcotic drug Strattera.

Good information can also be found at Adult ADHD Organization.

One last excellent resource that has been most helpful for me is Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.

J.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of ex-twi people were either ADD or ADHD. Think about it...we were taught to act with the first thought. Perfect for add and adhd ers, wouldn't you say?

I also have adult adhd. I was tested about a year ago and am on concerta. It has worked wonders for me and I'm able to concentrate at work and able to have normal conversations with people without changing the subject all the time. I'm also able to remember things.

I was getting worried I was in the process of alzheimers since my grandmother has it and I worked for a number of years with alzheimers patients. Boy, was I relieved to find out it was adhd!!! angelkit.gif

Wow, a delay in processing the information is a symptom and doing things under pressure of time are symptoms of this condition...

That fits me a little too well!!!

Glad the Stattera is helping. I read an entire book last weekend and have another one started I hope to finish. Reading a whole book and not getting bored or distracted was good for me. Reading helps me concentrate when I have other stuff to do after I read.

quote:
I would recommend the Lilly Strattera site ( Strattera ) for some good information on adult ADHD and, of course, on their non-narcotic drug Strattera.

Good information can also be found at Adult ADHD Organization.

One last excellent resource that has been most helpful for me is Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.

Thanks. I'm already taking Strattera as I said earlier. I will check out the resources that you were kind enough to link.

Add Omega 3 fatty acids to your diet. You can get them in Flax seeds, ground flax meal sprinkled on oatmeal, or by eating salmon or taking fish oil capsules daily. Our brains need omega 3 fats and our american style of eating is tons of Omega 6 fatty acids found in regular vegetable oil. Plus, Omega 3 fats help to dissolve bad cholesterol buildup.

Also, eliminate anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils; they clog our veins and arteries. They are in most processed foods for long shelf life---like breads, cereals, snacks.

People only think of heart attacks, but veins and arteries are throughout our body, including the brain.

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing to consider...

Do you have other symptoms in the mix, such as fatigue, or word-finding problems, pains in the joints, muscles, or nerves? Were you healthy before, then suddenly just seem to be falling apart?

You may want to consider chronic Lyme disease.

Regards,

Shaz

I probably have some form of ADD or another, I used to be all over the place but things have gotten much better since a diet change and pulling in the reins on a lifestyle that had been a little crazy for many years.

The diet change is nothing drastic--I very rarely drink caffeine or alcohol anymore and drink lots of good old water, I also try to make sure i have plenty of greens everyday, I also dont run after first thought or whatever pops in the head quite so much anymore but try to actually weigh it before being so impulsive-It has taken awhile since we were basically trained that way

wouldn't be surprised if most of ex-twi people were either ADD or ADHD. Think about it...we were taught to act with the first thought. Perfect for add and adhd ers, wouldn't you say?

Not only that but they could frikkin read in the way either, it was impossible to read more than one or two verses without flipping to another book to read another verse ---then to another book to read yet something else etc.etc...ad infinitum.... I don't think I ever heard anyone simply read even a short section of the bible in the way without their mind flipping all over creation. If you weren't ADD before you went in we were trained to have it by the way we were taught to think.

Anyway, I still have sporadic moments of mentally multitasking but as I get older and I watch myself closer I am finding that things slowly get better.

Edited by mstar1