GreaseSpot Cafe

Question about Sanders

Cowgirl

I've started up a home business making and selling animal papier mache sculptures. Towards the end of each job, just before painting and adding the finishing touches, I have to sand each one by hand (which takes quite a while to get it nice and smooth) so I've moved on to a small electric sander which measures 4 x 4 1/2 and it works great!

My question is do they make any smaller sanders than that, that can handle even more detailed work, or better yet what is the smallest electric sander that you can purchase?

Cowgirl

Dremels are wonderful for small work. I use them to do lapidary. I'd suggest a corded one for what you are doing, I found out the hard way why a rechargable battery one isn't good. They only let you work for a half hour, then you have to wait 2-3 hours for the battery to recharge again.

You can pick up a good multispeed corded Dremel with attachments for around 75 bucks either locally at a hardware store or online from Amazon or Ebay.

quote:
Originally posted by Cowgirl:

so I've moved on to a small electric sander which measures 4 x 4 1/2 and it works great!

My question is do they make any smaller sanders than that, that can handle even more detailed work, or better yet what is the smallest electric sander that you can purchase?

Cowgirl

The tiny dremel things are the smallest for tiny stuff, but for your work seems a little small. Maybe a disk on a drill would be intermediate. My little dremel knock off has little discs about 1/2" across at the largest. I'd guess you'd want different sizes for different parts of your work. Can you post a picture or two of what you make, just for fun?

I just wanted to say thanks to you all who gave me some good ideas on the sanders! I've been checking them out on the net. And yes I would need different sizes for different parts of my work.

As far as pictures go I had some on my computer but when my hard drive crashed I lost all the pictures however I did take some photographs of them when they were in a gallery. So as soon as I get the film developed I'll post them up here.

Cowgirl

Here I thought this was gonna be a thread about Col. Sanders and I know ALL about fried chicken.

Yeah, a Dremel tool is the way to go...I couldn't live without mine. Sears makes one, too and I see Chinese knockoffs on eBay for $10.

They even come with tiny little grinding stones and disks and cutting disks. They even make a little table so you can use it like a router or a drum sander.

If you have kids, be careful, cuz they LOVE to use it, then leave it out with it's box open, then the dog comes along and knocks it over scattering your dremel tool and all it's little accessories and bits everywhere. Some of the little accessories will fall through the cracks between the floorboards of your workshop and then, since you know snakes go under there from time to time, you don't wanna send the kid down to get it, you just give the kid a stern lecture and go get them yourself. Since there's only about two feet of crawlspace under there, you have to crawl on your belly and you get all dirty and you get cobwebs in your hair.

It's not pretty, so be careful.