GreaseSpot Cafe

Hurricanes and Pets

outofdafog

my wife watches a television program about the ASPCA in I believe Houston. These folks are death on animal cruelty. I believe that they are one of the driving forces behind 'let pets be evacuated as well.'

An arguement that I have in support of saving pets is this: If I were caught unawares by a housefire, besides us humans, the fire department would also rescue my pets. Why then, if I'm given time to evacuate, can I not bring my cherished pets as well?

I wouldn't evacuate without Vixen. icon_smile.gif:)--> But, then again, I have more means to evacuate than those with no car and/or no family to run to and no money to get there. I'm so glad that Texas is being so accommodating for those with pets. They really do become part of the family regardless of TWIt teachings to the contrary.

quote:
An arguement that I have in support of saving pets is this: If I were caught unawares by a housefire, besides us humans, the fire department would also rescue my pets. Why then, if I'm given time to evacuate, can I not bring my cherished pets as well?

If you can provide for them yourself, of course there is no reason. Texas is doing its best to help people to evacuate with their pets. But when it comes right down to it, human life comes first.

I read a story that was being put forth as a wonderful human survival story. A family stayed in New Orleans because they didn't want to leave their pets. They were trapped in an attic for several days, the grandmother died up there, and the mother was close to committing suicide via an overdose of strong pain medication and was encouraging her daughters to do the same, because she didn't want to die of heat and dehydration in the attic. Her teenaged daughter talked her out of it, and they were eventually rescued. I think it was two of six pets survived. As I read the story, I felt more anger than pleasure about their rescue. The woman who survived sacrificed her mother and her daughters' grandmother for two of six pets. I bet that will haunt them all for the rest of their lives. I'm not advocating abandoning pets at all, but no pet is worth the death of a beloved human being.

I agree with what you are saying Long Gone - again it has to be common sense that prevails. I would never want to leave my BooBoo Kitty behind as I have had him since he was a kitten and he is like a little kid to me sometimes (except when he gets annoying hahaha - I can lock him in the bathroom - can't do that with the kids).

But if it came down to my kids or my cats or my life for that matter, guess the kitty would be on his own. Alot of this is pre-planning also and taking what the officials are telling you seriously.

It is good though that the pets are being evacuated also, in the sense they do give comfort to those who have and probably will lose most of everything they have materially. Especially for the children and elderly. Those bonds can be quite strong.

On Tuesday HUA received a call from a vet in New Orleans. A week earlier HUA volunteers had taken a badly ill Cocker Spaniel to this vet. The Cocker had been rescued from his home where he had been left when his family evacuated. He had been without food or water for over two weeks. Since he was an older dog, he suffered serious internal damage. We wonder what he thought about as the storm ravaged his home - alone, afraid. Then the water came. Somehow he managed to survive. We wonder what he thought as he slowly starved. Did he think his people were coming for him? He probably did. The whole time he probably thought they were coming for him. Now he won't eat, and the vet recommends letting him go. We have tried and tried to reach his family but can't locate them. He would probably give them kisses if they came to him now. That's a dog for you.