GreaseSpot Cafe

Indiana Campus Tours

bliss

FYI : I was talking to a local in the Rome City area..

Seems people just show up and want "tours" of the place (all Wayfers, new and old).

hahah

The man that owns it can't figure it out, and he doesn't want to do it.

Poor guy, he did buy it dirt cheap but he's tried to do weddings, parties, you name it.........no takers.

He says the upkeep is just too much.

Then when he does have people over, his insurance goes through the roof.

He's not selling it though, guess he uses it as a write off.

Nostalgia- for me anyway, had a lot of good and "bad" times there.

He should charge them to show them around. It's his time right? That would separate those who REALLY want to see it from those who just want to see it.

I know a lot of people have great memories (and bad ones too) of that place. I spent an advanced class there in 1995.

Then I spent a week there in 1997 working my arse off doing grounds work and housekeeping there while they were trying to sell it. That place has a heck of a lot of grass to mow....I think my arms are still sore from it. I walked around by myself. It was kind of spooky seeing all of the empty rooms with beds and other furniture. I really HATED going down to the basement to get cleaning supplies. That is a freaky dark place. :blink:

I thought the guy who owned it was using it as a soccer/sports camp and that business was picking up.

http://www.bluechipusa.net/index2.html

But I understand about wayfers -- current and ex -- showing up and wanting tours. I showed up about four years ago, and just drove up and parked and started walking around. Apparently it was before the guy had done anything to the place because he just asked me what I was doing, and I told him I was just taking some pictures for old times sake because I had lived there once, and he let me. Of course, I didn't ask to go inside (much as I really wanted to) so maybe that was why he was nice to me.

It was quite sad, really... the special parking spot signs were still there. The beautiful stained glass near the back cafateria door was still there. The dove gates were still there.

It was just so very clear twi didn't give a rip about the place when they left it. Stuff they took so much time and effort to remove from Emporia was just left to sit at Rome City. And of course, most of us are aware of the fact that they just left all the books in the library. Wasn't it CFS that picked those up for a song?

Anyway... it was my favorite campus, for a lot of reasons.

Bliss, you should seriously suggest to your Rome City local to tell the guy to set up organized tours. Not just for waylets, but for the general public... the place has quite a long and interesting history.

Highway,

News to me about the sports complex. Sounds like a great idea though.

All I know is the owner was complaining to my freind about the "uninvited" guests, and that whenever he does have people on the grounds, it costs him a lot of money in liability. But, my friend may not have talked to him lately, he travels.

I do know someone who "trespassed" and checked out the ol "house of His healing presence" and borrowed a "souvenier". (like a rock) :lol:

Yeah, it is a sports retreat/ complex or something now. I stopped by one time on our way to Chicago to show my wife some of my wacky past. I stopped a guy in one of those green cushmans's (I guess they sold everything with it) and acted as though I didn't know what the place was. He told me about the sports gig and how the women's olympic soccer team was scheduled to come and practice there. He also gave me a breif history witch included the bible college, convent, and natural spring thing.

I have to say, it did look a little run down. He doesn't have all those families to slave away on the grounds. It even still had the parking spot reserved for the corps coordinator. I got my picture in from of that. Other than that one guy the place looked like a ghost town. I can see why he wouldn'twant to give tours. He has his hands full.

If you google map it as a satelite image you can see the baseball fields and other sports fields. I think someone did tha there not long ago.

Edited by lindyhopper

That would have been a couple of years ago. It may have gotten better, but it isn't like the place was in shambles. It just wasn't the pristine turd it was while the ministry had it. Although, for a place that is that big and that is shooting to be as big as he wants it to be I would think that he would want it at that level. As I said though, he has a lot of work to do (I don't know how many people work there) and I can imagine them doing tours for old wayfers.