GreaseSpot Cafe

Let Go and Let God by Albert Cliffe

Plotinus

Would you say it was a favorite book of his?

Would you say it was a source used in his own teaching (for what)?

I have a nice hardbound copy.

I would like to sell it on ebay

and would like to use the powerful search term "Wierwille"

but only if it has a justifiable relationship to Victor.

I bought it in Summer, 1972 according to the inscription -

(I was 16)

That was the summer I first took the "Advanced Class."

This tells me (and my vague memory confirms) that Victor

affirmed the value of this book... and what he liked, he used, right?

Pax,

Plots

Here is what we KNOW about the book.

A) vpw name-dropped Albert Cliffe in "the Way:Living in Love".

B) One chapter in "Let Go and Let God"

(which, in itself, was a twi SLOGAN)

was called "there is Magic in Believing".

The early editions of the Blue Book included a chapter called "the Magic of Believing".

C) One chapter in "Let Go and Let God"

was called "the Law of Cause and Effect".

vpw presented believing as if it REQUIRED the object believed for-

thus being as simple as "cause" (believing) and "effect" (the object believed for).

D) Albert Cliffe was nominally Christian but taught a lot of extrabiblical stuff-

in short, was VERY unconventional.

Usually, this was a sign vpw would copy his stuff if he found it.

(That Cliffe was a spiritualist is a different subject for a different discussion.)

E) The copyrights on Cliffe's books are early 1950s-

which means they were available for purchase years before their material appeared

in the Blue Book and in Session I.

=======

That's what I KNOW on the subject.

I can CONCLUDE this is pretty conclusive evidence he DID use Cliffe's book

without giving him (or anyone else) credit in the Blue Book.

Albert Cliffe was one of the speakers invited by the club, the name escapes me, that VPW had going in Van Wert. VP was very impressed with him and invited him to speak on more than one occasion.

Don't ask me how I remember this. :unsure:

Albert Cliffe was just one of many authors who were part of the "New Thought" movement. Heck yeah, VP was a product of that philisophical train of thought. He tried to synthesize the essence of "New Thought" with Christianity. He wasn't the first to do so, of course, but just followed the herd.

Many of the "greats" of the movement are name with wchich any ex-Way corps person is familiar... Glenn Clarke, Ella Wheeler Wilcox, Emmet Fox, Ralph Waldo Emerson (sorta) etc.

VP followed the movement, and was very interested in the "Christianization" of it. This fact is very obvious after a minimal google on the topic. My first year in the corps, a bunch of us visited the Unity HQ in KC. What was that all about?

A learned man brought to this century a fresh teaching-that Jesus came that believers would have a more abundant life. The teacher taught steps to victorious living, which yield happiness, sufficiency, success and health-all of which are God's will for mankind. Positive faith, he said, brings about happiness and victory, while negative faith results in nervousness, failure and sickness. These effects must result, for this is a law of life. A person can achieve any good thing if he believes strong enough in it. If he prays believing he is now receiving, results are assured. A human being must overcome his tendency to limit God by keeping God's power latent within. The teacher summed up his steps to victory-"let go and let God!"

The "Doctor" explains the source of his teachings:

"Many of the subjects I have given in my Bible class have been dictated to me by my loved ones long since passed on... (that is, dictated via "my psychic work." )

About Albert Cliffe from THIS SITE.

Lots of familiar phrases in there, eh?