GreaseSpot Cafe

Candle Making as a Hobby or Small Business

act2

Act2 ......... business for yourself can be fun especially in the craft business. I am a retired florist, sold my shop a few years back. I sold Yankee candles .... very popular, but not homemade.

I used to buy smokeless driplesss candles for floral arrangments so I obtained a small bit of information about the candle industry.

I also purchased large pillar candles and decorated the bases, sold them on the gift stands in my shop. Great deco tip is to take flower petals and greens and ModgePodge them right onto the candle. You can pick petals and press them from your own garden i.e. pansies are great for this. ModgePodge is an adhesive you can purchase in Walmart or any craft store. They were great decorator pieces and sold like mad for gifts and home deco pieces. Even custom made them in colors to match dining tables for holidays etc.. Triple your money easy.

WACKY my dear ole friend ...... I have seen your website and showed it to my husband. Truly amazed. I crouchet but you my friend have a heavenly touch. I would love to talk to you about a full length shawl with hood or maybe a cloak for up here in the winters. Something real soft. I will email you after I have thoroughly disected all the fine material on your website.

Digi

Sorry that happened to you, Wacky! annoying isn't it? (As is that durn bird, who I didn't hear cuz I was sticking my fingers in my ears and saying "LALALALALAAAA!")

Digi-- your centerpiece candles sound gorgeous! I'm gonna copy that idea for a fall theme center peice I was wanting to do for Thanksgiving Day (gonna be 28 people-- biggest crowd I've ever cooked for!!!) I had a buncha fall stuff- small gourds, some silk fall color leaves, a metal wreath ring, and realized the center needed something more-- figured a candle, but the mod-podge leaves on the candle will make it perfect!

Wacky-- nice website—the pictures of the shawls are beautiful, That cranberry dyed wool is gorgeous--I think I'm gonna try that with some curtains I am altering for my kitchen, and the penguins are adorable!!

The soaps i did were a glycerin kit from the craft store--fun, but they didn't turn out very pretty. I wanna try my hand at some bath salts--my skin is very sensitive, so I want to get scents that aren't harsh--but that'll be just for me-- not to sell.

For one of our homeschool art classes a few years ago, my older son and I did some weaving--and carded cotton balls (storebought) with the dog and cat brushes! :o heehee! We were doing a unit on how early Americans did things. (making their own clothes-- most of the time from the cloth they had weaved, etc, made butter, soap and candles--most of these were from kits at the craft store) This year, I have planned to make a solar oven and we are gonna make a meal in it.

I had/have a secondary reason for doing this--besides art education for my children. Mainly that most people wouldn't know how to survive if life as we know it suddenly changed. (Natural disaster, war, etc) Most of what I know is distant memory--my grandparents had minimal electricity, running water was only possible if you ran with the bucket after you filled it at the pump well, and an outhouse. We took baths by heating water on her stove and pouring into the big galvanized tub-- several of us used the same bathwater!!! :o I don't know nearly enough, cuz I was so little and it was all a fun adventure to me-- my older sisters have less fond memories! LOL! I never learned to knit, crochet or tat because they all did, and we didn't need anymore scarves, hats, mittens, slippers or doilies! LOL! But I did learn to sew--on a treadle machine, and made a lot of my own clothes.

But even if we never needed these skills or know-how, for the most part any hand-made product is a good-selling item, but since the "hand-maker" won't be making much money at it, they better just be doing it cuz they love it! :)

I did look up a local spinners guild on the internet, Wacky-- found there's a lady not too far from me--now I've just got to get up the nerve to call her! LOL!!! I read a "How to" brochure on the internet, and I think I understand, but I will need someone to SHOW me. Written instructions-- even with drawings, on anything I do for the first time-- don't work for me-- I ALWAYS have to be shown how, to understand.

I went to one farm show where a lady took pet hair/fur and made small rugs (if I remember right--that and/or a yarn) from them. She demonstrated combing, spinning and weaving. One of her unique offers: You could save the combed shedding and/or haircuts from your beloved cat/dog, etc, give it to her and she would make you a small rug for a fee. I always thought that was too cool. I've lost track of her business card-- that was maybe 12 yrs ago.

The "nimble hands" thing has me worried, though--I love doing crafts, but a lot of the stuff I do takes on a whimsy look because I don't have a steady hand. (My Mom and sisters make beautiful angels, I make cutesie slightly lopsdied critters. People love them, but I long to make something PRETTY like my older sisters and Mom! LOL!)

Act2, I dunno if that was a derail or not!! My apologies!

:redface: Psalmie looks around and discovers everyone has fallen asleeep cuzza the lengthy post. . .

I SPIN DOG HAIR!!!!! People love it!!! I only charge $10/hr, which is far more than plumbers, doctors, housecleaners get...so, I think it's fair. I have a box of it coming by mail to me this week from god knows where...someone found me...so, spin dog I go!!! Hey, the pet market is HUGE...I may as well cash in on it...

Psalmie- wish you lived near me...we could hang and spin. I go all day. Have you heard of drop spindling? You can buy a nice hand made wood one pretty inexpensively and do a little spinning at home. If not, you can make a drop spindle from an old CD, a dowel, a cup hook and off you go!!!! It perfect for kids.

Did you know famous artists in the 1600's and on had their own personal spinner and weaver? Flax was spun into linen, then the weaver would weave the painter's canvas...de Vinci had them...they all had them!!!!! Just think about it. Before the industrial revolution, there was no electricity or factories to make any fabrics!!! The king of England had each household spin and weave 32 pounds of wool a year or they were fined!!!!

Digi...I could make you a rowana (sp) with a hood...it would take me a while-perhaps a month- and more expensive if you wanted me to spin the wool too. Or perhaps you would like cashgora? or kid mohair locks...I figure, if you're gonna spend the money, get the best. I have some absolutely gorgeous kid locks from 6 month old goats....it's softer than goose down and cashmere doesn't even compare to it. It's costly to spin tho, as I stretch it by boucleing it (spun 3 times-one over thread the second with metallics...)...or a poncho with a hood would be cool too. You could buy your own yarns and send them to me, or I can spin up anything you wanted.

There is nothing like homespun. By the time the factories have mutilated the wool via carding it to death to make it "perfect" for consumption (you know how us buyers are!!!) and dyeing it, it's really no longer true wool. Anyways...

I don't put my yarns on the website...just examples of them. Most of those have been sold. The cashmere shawl/ with the silk boucle- see that one? I brought that to Martha Stewart's house last Easter as a gift- I still haven't heard from her...but, don't be surprised if you see my on her tv show one day. I taught one of her staff to spin last summer when she was up here visiting her relatives. I've also written "where in the world is Matt Lauer" offering to spin silk in China, Alpaca in Peru, Wool in Scotland, goats in Switzerland...yada yada yada...I hope they pick me to travel around the world!!!!

yada yada yada...it's morning and I'm sipping on my caffeine, so a little talkative at the moment...LOLOLOL

Psalmie...have you tried weaving little squares? I have a small hand loom, and I spin up about 10 yards at a time and weave little squares...it's kinda fun...one day I'll make a scarf with different handspuns. I was thinking of making little 10 yard kits for people of various handspuns.

There's so much to do.

ArkieRon- HEY YOU!!!! Did you ever plant those gourds for me? ;)

I bought about 20 of them when visiting Asheville, SC a few years back...I've finally gotten into carving, burning, drilling, dyeing them...I sold 2 birdhouses the other day....I love doing that. Need alot of space tho...Ron...I'll buy your gourds and your kid curls from you!!!! :)

Anyways...one must really have a passion for this stuff, because, truly, it just doesn't pay...but is fulfilling and adds to the overall quality of life. It really fills me!!!!

Edited by Wacky Funster

Hey You All!!! I have been busy with a yard sale and then went to my Mom's and stayed all afternoon and evening. Some of my family was there also.

Anyway, I love how this thread has evolved. Thanks to all of you who have contributed.

Wacky, I may try the drop spindling. Sounds like fun. Thanks for the history lesson too!!!

Our area was hit by a tornado yesterday morning and at least 22 are dead. Evansville, Newburgh, IN, area. Ellis Park is about a mile from my home (as the crow flies). Anyway, Scott that I mentioned in an earlier thread lives in Evansville and his business is in Newburgh, but I think he may be ok. I will definitely try to call him tomorrow.

Also a few miles away in Crittenden County and another county in KY was damaged by the tornado.

Sure thankful to be alive and safe and sound.

Say a special prayer for all those that have been affected, please.

Keep posting, you all, ok???!!! I love all the ideas, etc.

Sorry it took me so long to get back here.

Wacky, I loved the history lesson, too! I decided in contacting the lady from the spinners guild, I'd like to make it a homeschool field trip--bet my kids could learn a lot, too. (That is, if the lady would be comfortable with that)

I have drop spindling pulled up on google right now, and will be reading up on that in a few minutes.

Wacky, when you spin pet hair, could it be spun with anything else? Reason I ask, is I always loved the softness of my cat's fur--the one I had back when I met the lady that did the pet hair spinning. This cat was particulary soft, and he was medium hair length--I definately got a good bit off him each time I combed him, but it still woulda taken forever to save up enough to be able to do anything with it.

I have done the weaving little squares--got a small loom for Christmas last year. I've woven several "things". My boys love em, cuz I used camo dyed yarn from the craft store. The weaving went well, but in tying them off, um, er, lets just say they won't unravel, and pretty is overrated! LOL! (To tie several together, you have to crochet them--and i don't know how!!! AKKKK!) I had all these plans for what I was going to make, but all I can do is doilies cuz i don't know how to connect the squares! WAHHHH!

<_<

Your 10 yard kits sound like a good idea, Wacky--I think a lot of people who want to be crafty, but feel they don't have the time will buy kits. Act2, that's another avenue you could go, also. I saw a pattern for fake fur head warmers that a lady sold at a ski resort. These headbands sell for up to $150 in Vail (Where this particular lady was)--faux fur, not real fur. She sold finished ones and had classes where ladies could buy their own kit for something like $35, I think I read. I don't remember what she cahrged for her finished ones, but her pre-made kits sold so fast, and she made such a huge profit that she decided to go with that as her business. Poor thing has to go to upscale ski resorts for her business! LOL!! :biglaugh: I'll see if I can find the pattern if you want, Act2.

I have been enjoying this thread, too!

Wacky that would be cool if you got to be on Martha Stewarts show! We don't have cable anymore, but when I did watch, it was craft how to and cook shows!

M.Stewart is on NBC now.

I won a drop spindle this weekend at my fiber retreat....!!!

Psalmy...you're gonna love it!!!

Yes...it's ok to blend wool with cat/dog hair.

It's OK to do just about anything you want to!!! You can give everything a try...there are no wrongs and no rights!!! It's all fair game. That's the beauty of spinning...and there's no end to it!!!

:)

Wacky, congrats on the win. Isnt it fun to win something???

I tried calling Scott but he hasnt returned my call. I do hope that he is ok after the tornado ransacked Evansville and Newburgh.

Anyway, keep posting ideas and thoughts. I love it.

I dunno Linda...I'll read up on it and let you know...

Last weekend I was up in Vermont learning to do felted landscapes...

I had such a blast...and was blown away at the beautiful creations (yes creations ;) ) I made...I not only learned wet felting, but needle felting over it for texture.

Today I drove a friend up to Boston to the hospital. I figured while I was waiting, I'd do some needle felting. I bought a little book on felting gnomes....and some woman was watching me the whole time.

Just as we were leaving she asked the cost of them (I hadn't even gotten that far!!!) and ordered 6 from me...at $20 a pop....

I couldn't believe it....

I think people really appreciate handmade things that are earthy looking.

I think people are tired of all the crap "made in China"...at least that's the feedback I'm getting.

Better to pay a little more for quality, and supporting our local artists and farms, than buy crap from China.

How are the candles coming?

Where did everyone go?

Edited by Wacky Funster

I've really enjoyed this discussion. I've often thought I'd like to do something similar with some of my stitching (enhanced embroidery and Hardanger) but some pieces take so long that I hesitate to part with some of them for money. Gifts yes - money - not so sure.

I can make some wicked candle wraps though! I've never done it, but I know I can...I've done all the basics individually.

krys, wicked candle wraps?? Never heard of those, I dont think. Tell me more. krys, I know what you mean about your handiwork. It is almost hard to sell things that take SO LONG to make!!! I have sold a few items, but mostly, I give them as gifts. How are you ????

heehee.... Garth, that is actually gross!!!

Wacky, we are still here. I still have not heard from Scott. I am having company this weekend and next weekend, so I have been rather busy preparing for all the out-of-town guests. Plus my hubby's birthday is Monday.

I do plan on calling Scott first of the week, if he still hasnt made contact.

Wacky, I keep thinking of that fine yarn that you weave. Maybe someday I will buy some from you. :D

In fact, I need to get off the internet and start that key lime cheesecake with homemade graham cracker crust for this weekend's celebration!!!

Edited by act2

The best thing to do for real time consuming things is make kits.

Candle kits, knitting kits, beading kits...

People buy them. So, krys...if you make something unique, stock up on the ingredients, have an example, and sell a kit wrapped in pretty ribbon...

Amazing how those things go.

Edited by Wacky Funster

I agree with Wacky about the kits. A lot of people don't think they have time to make things, but will buy a kit beacuse a lot of the preliminary stuff is done.

Wacky-- too cool about the felting!

I'm gonna try to contact the local "spinning lady" heehee! :biglaugh: , within the next few days-- I am going to be laid up for about 6 weeks right after Thanksgiving, and I'm gonna need something to do. (Getting an ankle operation)

I forgot about spinning wheels having the pedals, Wacky-- Mebbe I'll do some drop spindling! There's a pattern to make them on this one site I found. The operation is next Tuesday, so I won't be meeting the lady for at least three to six weeks, but the more I've read, the more confident I am that I can try this on my own without needing to be shown--Looks like the main thing is to get the hang of (Drafting?) the wool--not too much or too little. and if it doesn't look good, can't I just spin the spindle the other way and unwind and start again? or is there more to it than that?