GreaseSpot Cafe

Old Boy Scout Book

Ron G.

I got this awesome old book called "Buckskin Book for Buckskin Men and Boys" written in the 1920's by Dan Beard, one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America.

One section of the book discusses the proper technique for throwing a hatchet. He says:

"In my training school, I use this exercise as a psychological test of the boys and, incidently, of the men too. If they are inclined to be effeminate, they will unconsciously jerk back on the handle and spin the tomahawk instead of slamming it right square at the target. That is, they make what the boys call the "la-de-da" motion in throwing the ax. This is an unmistakable sign of femininity, by which I do not wish to be understood to say that the thrower, with this trait, is an absolute sissy, but I maintain that he has that peculiarity in his mental make-up which is to be found in all sissies and lady-like fellows."

The original founders were hard-core patriots and rugged outdoorsmen. Keep in mind, this book was written to TWELVE-YEAR-OLD's of the time, but it's mainly about how to properly skin animals, tan your own hides and make stuff from buckskin and rawhide. (moccasins, snow shoes, chaps, knife sheaths...) There's also chapters on making your own traps/deadfalls/snares, hunting-grade bow and arrows and simulated Indian scalp to hang on the wall.

We've got some great Boy Scouts here in Reno (Reno United Way recognizes Boy Scouts and we can donate to them with our United Way donation).

Maybe I wouldn't appreciate the Boy Scouts so if I hadn't seen them stand up to the rigors of defending their beliefs.

Glad they are still going strong,

Times indeed have changed, haven't they? That kind of political incorrectness would not get published these days.

With that vacuous judgement about "If they are inclined to be effeminate, they will unconsciously jerk back on the handle and spin the tomahawk instead of slamming it right square at the target.", well yeah, crap like that wouldn't be tolerated. Has anyone here ever thought about why that statement should be true? Hasn't it ever occured to anyone to challenge the validity of that line of thinking? Or is that 'effeminate' too?

And what has hard-core patriotism have to do with how one throws an axe? Just as long as the axe hits its target?

Puzzling, very puzzling indeed.

Kit,

I don't think that the banning gays and atheists Boy Scouts from participating is exactly 'standing up to the rigors of defending their beliefs', do you?

So I'm the intolerant one for being against their intolerance? :huh: Hhmmm.

I still see no connection between how one throws an axe and their (supposed) 'effeminacy' or of their patriotism.

Must be because of my 'intolerence'. <_<

Yeah, and I can't get into the NAACP (wrong color), the local country club (not enough money) or enter the Miss Hispanic America beauty pageant (wrong country of origin) either, but you don't hear people whining about that. ;)

I suspect that the observation was made by many and after much experience. Frequently those older books where being PC is not an issue were bang-on in their deductions.

Ron, have the techniques for skinning, tanning and all that other stuff changed much since the book was published? I'd think there may be more "chemicals" to make the process easier, but that the original techniques taught in that book are still the best today.

Belle asks...

Ron, have the techniques for skinning, tanning and all that other stuff changed much since the book was published? I'd think there may be more "chemicals" to make the process easier, but that the original techniques taught in that book are still the best today.

The methods have pretty much remained the same over the years. Some things can't be improved upon. When I do a hide, I prefer the brain tanning method. It's one of the oldest and gives the best results. Andrew and I have done a few rabbit furs and I've done some buckskins. Our Scout troop is going to do a buckskin and mount it on a wood frame to sew award patches on for display.

Our troop will also start making all our own rope and other needs.

Edited by Ron G.

Shellon, ...................... your right ......... there might be just one or two out there without the brains to tan their own hides ............. LOL.

Ron ......... Dude you are awesome. I would love to get a copy of this book for other reasons than just how to learn to throw a tomahawk.............. I would love to see how I could or if I can interlink it with some of my research of past civilizations and there ways of life.

I have found that even the boyscout book I have of early 70s era is still utilizing very ancient techniques in the wilderness that have been found to be tried and true.

Tanning hides is true ............. each animal does have the necessary brain material to tan its hide and if you feel that you need more material you can get it strait from the gut of the beast. Tried and true this is. White leather can be naturally made by soaking it in stale urine after the hide has been dehaired and tanned ....... by the way that would be stale urine from a man not a woman. White leather would have been considered a very valuable piece of artwork, worn only for the best of occassions in mans ancient history, because it actually took more work than just utilizing the urine, also chalky tallow mixture is used. Red ochre was often used to make hides red and red was considered a spiritual color but white held an essence of awe in its own right expecially for the maker of such a garment.

I don't know what to say about the throwing of the tomahawk except that I put no spin when aiming for my mark.

Digi