GreaseSpot Cafe

Recoil video

Ron G.

Read this before viewing the movie.

The gun was basically a "show and tell" custom built on a Thompson Encore frame (fancy version of the Thompson Contender).

The caliber was .600 Nitro Express. That's right...an elephant gun round in a handgun.

The story goes that the guy that built it is some kind of custom gun maker, and built this as an exhibition piece.

He takes it to the range to show it off, and the big guy that shot it (in the video) had been bugging the builder to let him shoot it.

Now think about this...

Only until fairly recently (early-mid '80's) the .600 Nitro Express was hands down the biggest, nastiest, hardest hitting, and heaviest recoiling weapon you could buy. It was designed for one simple purpose...to knock an elephant flat on his a$$.

This cartridge is known for breaking collarbones, arms, shoulders...of the shoote when fired from a rifle!

Think about this...in the gun world they use what is termed as a "recoil index" to give prospective buyers an idea of what a gun kicks like.

A .30-06 gets a rating of a 1.0, which for many people is about the limit of what they can shoot multiple rounds comfortably.

A .243 is rated at like a .4, a 270 was like a .8, etc.

The .600 Nitro Express is rated at a 9.4...9.4 times more punishing than a 30-06.

http://besmiley.com/Video/recoil.wmv

No Garth, this isn't me.

Thats my kind of gun, NOT.

I'm a gun guy but I don't like recoil. I bought a 44 magnum years ago and didn't like the pain. Bought new grips, it still hurt. Once I put the scope on it the recoil came down to where its fun. The heavier the gun the less the recoil.

That clip just shows why some people need to stay away from guns.

Muzzle breaks and airated barrels are the only way to go with a weapon like that. Stop some of that recoil. That is some piece of hardware. ....... Wow

Definately nothing I would use ....... I am looking into Remingtons 700 Ultra Mag and would have the barrel airated (Sp?) for the exta hundred bucks or so.

I would not be able to shoot the elephant gun. Break your shoulder, collar bone, knock out an eye absolutely. I wouldn't shoot it unless I had too.

Digi