GreaseSpot Cafe

The conscientious telemarketer

I Love Bagpipes

This is a true story. It happened to a friend of mine.

The phone rings and she answers. It is a telemarketer. She is feeling pretty goofy that evening, so she screams and says OMG!! and hangs up the phone.

About 15 minutes later bluelights are flashing in her driveway. Two law officers ring the doorbell. The family is eating supper and thinks something bad must have happened down the street or something.

Hubby answers the door.

Police: "Good evening sir'

Hubby: Good evening.

P: We had a phone call that someone hear may be in distress.

H: What?

P: A salesperson said they phoned this home and a woman screamed in distress and hung up.

H: (Starts laughing) Oh my gosh. That was my wife. We had no idea that the person would call the police.

Everything is fine here.

P: Glad of that sir. But we still need to talk to your wife. (to make sure hubby was telling the truth)

That was one conscientious marketer!

Well, my friend no longer responds that way to telemarketers. :wink2:

I have an answering machine. I (if I am in the vicinity of my phone), listen to who is calling.

If they choose not to leave a message, I don't call back (cause there is no message).

Simple as that!!

Most of the calls I get (these days) are from telemarketers,

and I have no message on my machine. :unsure:

So I just hit *delete*, and get on with life. :)

Great story Bagpipes.

I have all my phones listed on the Colorado and the National "Do Not Call" databeses. It works real well, at least fot the last two or three years. I get only one or two calls a year now for sales.

You can register your numbers here:

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

At some point, I imagine that the companies will find a work-around of it, such as claiming they have some sort of business relationship with me due to me having inquired on the internet about them or someting, but so far that has not arisen. I am starting to get a few more calls for "surveys" now, which are exempt from the donotcall registry.

Of course charities and political parties are also exempt.

I have never bought or donated anything as the result of telephone solicitation, I do not ever plan to, and I will never sell my services that way.

Pax,

HAP

We are on the do not call list as well. We do get the survey questions...and some charitable solicitation calls. Somehow we get the recorded calls sometimes. That really seems like a waste of time and money. I don't have anything against sales people. My mom, dad, brother, sister, and myself have all been in sales at one time or another. What I don't like are PUSHY salespeople, or someone trying to convince me that I NEED something.

I just thought this was one of the funniest telemarketer stories I had ever heard. Shocked the hell out of my friend! She really wasn't trying to be "nasty", just felt goofy that night. What a hoot!!! :spy:

10-4 Hap...Wasn't quite sure..so thought I'd clarify.

BTW, I really don't have anything against telemarketers. Try not to harbor much against anyone. It ain't good for my health. Still separating the "harboring" regarding TWI though. Separating healthy clarity/anger/realization from bitterness/resentment/etc. Sometimes that gets fuzzy.. (confused icon): (which this old 95 computer just won't put on the screen. ;) We have an xp, but son is using it. I've gotten spoiled with that new xp. :) ) Unlike many folks, I had very good times in TWI. Those I miss but hold fondly in my soul.

When my spouse's dad died someone sent a sympathy card with some good advice. "Laugh hard. Cry hard. And remember the good times." Hmmmmm, haven't thought about it until now...in regards to the fuzz I am working through with TWI. Yet I don't want to forget the abuse that has gone on...don't want pesonal history to repeat itself...

(well looky there....some icons!!)

I keep getting these calls, when I answer I am on hold, listening to their phone ringing.

If a telemarketer can not invest the time to dial me in person, then they don't get the privilege of hearing me hang-up my phone on them, I set the receiver off the hook and let them hang-up on me. LOL