GreaseSpot Cafe

DirectTV vs. Dish Network

GarthP2000

Hiya all, got a question.

I'm going to get a satellite dish network set up for my TV, and I wanted to know people's opinions as regards DirectTV and Dish Network. Which one gives better service, reception, customer satisfaction, and all?

What do you folks think?

I live in a very rural area and can't get cable or normal broadcast teevee, so I have to rely on satellite. A couple of years ago, I got Dish Network. I changed over to DirecTV last spring and it's all pretty much the same except I got a much better price on the DirecTV. They seem to have better prices and better customer service.

DirecTV also has XM channels so you can listen to digital quality satellite radio through your stereo at no extra charge, which Dish Network didn't have back when I had it.

Shop around a bit because different dealers will have different deals available. You should be able to find a local dealer who'll supply your equipment with intallation for free or just a few dollars. I paid $19.95 for the dish and installation and boxes, remotes and hookups for 4 rooms.

DirecTV also has Tivo and high speed internet and a lot of other stuff if you want to pay for it, which I don't.

If you choose DirecTV and tell them I referred you, I'll get a free month, so email me or PM me and I'll give you the necessary info :wave:

I've always had DISH with no real problems. I'd have to check pricing agian, but they seemed less expensive than direct. I just get the basic plan and if you pay for a year you get a month free. Also I could get local programming for $5/month or so. Last I knew they will set up a new customer for free, equipment free, and even run the lines into your house.

• 1 month later...

We had DirectTV and changed to Dish recently because we got a deal with our phone, DSL, and Satellite. So definitely Dish is less expensive for us. We had major problems with DirectTV sending us TV guides and then charging us for them. We never ordered them. I talked to customer service several times and ended up frustrated that me, the customer, wasn't right. I sent an email and got a month of our HBO. It almost takes an act of God to get someone live when you want to disconnect service with them. Buyer beware I say.

I've never had any troubles at all with DirectTV. I've had it now for about four years. But I don't know that one is any better than the other. I think if you live in a metropolitan area you could find very good deals on either, I know around here they offer great startup deals.

Sometimes the signal goes out during a big storm because of the thick clouds. If you're in a snow area, you've got to keep the dish clear of snow. Personally, I think it's a far better service than cable, but if either of those things bother you, you might prefer cable.

Like Wayfernot said, AT&T has a big package deal if you want it and they're pushing it pretty hard since the un-breakup makeup that's putting all of the baby bells back together...

DirectTV is owned by Rupert Murdoch so it isn't going anywhere either. They have all of the sports "tickets" if you like sports.

I've never experienced any customer service issues. A couple of years ago it was harder to get through but it seemed quicker when I had to call them about a month ago. (that might be a point, I've only had to call them twice in four years). Both times I got what I felt was excellent treatment and good support/advice. My problem wasn't solved by the first person I talked to so I asked to speak to someone else. They solved the problem.

Anyway, I've been very happy with DirectTV and it has the lion's share of the market around here (DFW).

• 1 month later...