GreaseSpot Cafe

Tom's recipe at Gunnison for baked lamb

waterbuffalo

Hey everyone,

Does anyone remember Tom blank's Sunday dinner lamb meals? Boy they were good!

That was probably the best baked or roasted lamb I've had to date.

Was anyone ever able to get his recipe?

I'd surely love to have it if you did and would like to share it.

Sorry, but I can't remember his last name. His wife's name was Gail.

Yum! (mine always tastes bitter and I'm not a big mint jelly person and he didn't use that either).

wb

WB :wave:

I don't have that recipe anymore but you are right, it was totally yummy. I remember talking to him about cooking lamb one time, my lamb stews never tasted like I wanted them too. He said the number one key to having lamb dishes taste EXCELLENT was to by the freshest, best cut of lamb you can get.....even for lamb stew.

Let me keep looking.

ror

Never had the lamb at Gunnison, but I make a mean leg-of-lamb on occasion.

The main thing I've learned to make lamb taste great is to trim every tiny bit of fat off of it before cooking. Every bit (leg of lamb has a goodly amount of fat inside the leg that must be excised as well). Then use a dry marinade and cook to medium rare (I use a small rottiserie). Yum!

Mint jelly is a must for me, though...

Actually, guys, thanks and :wave: back at ya Radar!

Geo, you sound like quite a cook! Thanks for the trimming tip. I'll try it! My husband uses that dry marinade, too, and it's good--not as good as Tom Perkins's, though (just remembered his name--yeh!).

What else...oh, where I was going with the "actually" was this: Tom actually GAVE me the recipe while at Gunnison. Yep, he did. Now, to remember it.....oh my. Pray for me, ok? Then, I'll share it with everyone!

Ha!

wb

The last time I ate mutton I was in Ireland many many years ago but I have been wondering what it might taste like under current health regulations and procedures.

I do fondly recall taking the cream to the dairy in Mitchelstown riding on the back of a donkey drawn cart but then I also remember carcases hanging in the window of the butchers shop so I'm guessing times have changed since then ;)

Seriously tho I would like someone to explain to me the meat aging process. My local piggly wiggly likes to sell aged beef but I've heard their standards aren't quite up to snuff.

What is the big thing about aged beef and or fresh lamb? What is going on in there and why do I have to cook some cuts slowly and others quickly? I suspect alot of it has to do with fat content and muscle condition but I could be wrong.

BTW I have just started working up a spaghetti recipe that includes ginger pinapple and hot sausage it kicks arse!

As a full blooded Italian I want to agree with david - but sadly it still is spaghetti even if it does have pineapple - but he might like it better if yuou just called it a pasta dish/

My garandmother used to make a great leg of lamb.

She trimmed all the fat, drilled holes with a paring knife and inserted both garlic and mint, then made a paste out of bread crumbs, olive oil, garlic and mint and enveloped the leg in this. Bake. it's delicious! the crust keeps the juices of the meat in and gets a little crusty. We never had mint jelly.

Oh and the first course was homemade ravioli!

Excuse me - I have to go count my weight watchers points now...