GreaseSpot Cafe

Enron - The Smartest Guys in the Room

outandabout

This is an incredible documentary.

Regarding TWI, as I kept watching it, it struck me that Enron propounded the same group-think that TWI did.

This guy, Skilling, reminded me a lot of Martindale.

The guys at the top had all the "little people" believing that everything was hunky dory and their stock would go up and up indefinitely, as we in TWI believed we were God's only true ministry.

Different scam, same dynamics.

I really recommend this documentary.

This is a watershed case no doubt.

Everyone who is anyone is crossing the t's and dotting the I's , for now anyways.

This will force change, regardless of the outcome of the trial.

very interesting indeed.

In an interview I heard a guy who lost to the tune of over 138 thousand say he doesnt believe that he "didnt know" the financial situation because "Every hog knows all the piglets in the farmyard".. haha , I agree.

What boils my blood is that these guys have already spent 38 million on their defense: when their employees lost their jobs, pensions, everything to these *****'s.

To them, it's just a game. IMO

That is terrible that people lost so much at the higher-ups doings. It sucks that there probably will not be any justice served. I hope a miracle happens.

To look at Enron as an anomaly or an unusual situation is to miss the real lesson entirely. They couldn't do what they did without help. You need to look into how all sorts of other companies were involved (especially financial institutions), how the states and federal government was involved. Enron did not develop into what it was on it's own, it was a huge scam.

Also, Enron still exists, both in the bankrupt company as well as all the various divisions being moved to other companies with other names. I work for them, and while the company I work for isn't doing electricity trading like Enron used to, we are involved with various aspects of the oil industry. Fortunately, the Sarbanes Oxley act has been able to keep some fraud from being committed. However, the same "screw everyone for my selfish benefit" attitude that Enron pushed is still out there. There's also a disturbing idolization in some of the former leaders of Enron. I know lots of people that idolize Jeff Skilling, Andy Fastow, and even more Lou Pai, who got away with everything, divorced his wife to marry a hot stripper, and is free and in no trouble whatsoever.

If you are bored, feel free to search for some of the various emails sent in Enron here. I've already looked up my boss, his boss, and various coworkers and didn't find anything too damaging. However, if you do a search for a name like Tom Delay (arguably the most corrupt politician in the U.S.) it looks bad. It is definitely an incomplete list of emails though. My boss and I were looking through it earlier today and he seems to think that it's mostly limited to people who sent and recieved emails externally, as well as people in higher positions of management.