GreaseSpot Cafe

What operating system do you use

igotout

If you use 2 different operating systems just include the one you use most.

(Sorry Linux, Apple or other non-Microsoft OS users. Not enough room.)I didn't include Windows 95 either because of its obsolescence.

Does anyone know what the statistics say? What operating system are most Americans using these days. I am guessing the majority are still on Windows 98.

RB I use Windows2k and XP Pro every day. I am torn as to which is the really the best.

But my conclusion is that Win2k is a bit more stable, more of a workhorse and a bit faster. But XP has lots of toys, bells and whistles that 2000 does not have. Such as support for digital cameras, integrated CD Burning, fast user switching, and a more user friendly interface. But along with that are some bugs that have yet to work themselves out.

Both are miles ahead of 98. And unlike 98, both play well together on a network.

I am looking forward to the next version of Windows 2000. It is about due for a major overhaul.

After the 3rd Service Pack and a bunch of drivers downloaded, I have Win2K running nice and smooth.

It is VERY stable. I had Win98 before this and it would lock up/crash at least once a week. I have been using this system a little over a year now with no crashes.

I think that XP might have better support for games, but that will even out in time.

RB

Well, lets be real. Windows 98 and Window Millenium Edition are basically the same thing. No real improvement. It was just a holdover until XP came out. You might as well add those two together.

This gives you about 38% Windows 98 users.

Say good bye to Windows 98. It is fading as fast as yesterday's biblical research and teaching center.

In my recent search of computer knowledge, I was told by a Dell Rep. that W2K integrates better with other programs than XP does. Now that I think about it, everyone I know at the shelter who has gotten a new computer in the last year has had XP installed. Not one computer was problem free.

Jesse

Suit yourself. Win2k isn't as user-friendly as WinXP is until you've used it a while. Of course, those who disagree usually know enough about computers to know how to duplicate the functionality, which is not quite an unbiased opinion.

Win2k is really just WinNT 5 with DirectX bolted on for good measure. Not that that's bad, it's just NT is more business-oriented than casual-user oriented, under the hood.

I am going to build a server for our small business. I think I am going to use Win2kServer.

I have heard good things about Linux but I am too chicken (or lazy or both) to switch to learning about it.

But speaking of Win2k...what's next? Anybody know? My luck, the minute I install Windows 2000 server they will come out with Windows 2003 or something like that. Any Beta's coming up soon?

• 4 months later...

**HELP****HELP****HELP****HELP****HELP****HELP****HELP****HELP**

I can't seem to start a new thread on this forum so please forgive Chazzy for posting this here...

Hubby's computer is not well. When we go to boot it up, we get the HP splash screen and then the black screen, which usually preceeds the Windows 98 splash screen - EXCEPT - the screen stops with the black screen and gives an error message: Operating System not found

We've tried booting it up several times , hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete, tried to C:Windows, etc. - it's not a DOS mode, tho...

Anyway - what can we do to get Windows up and running?

BTW - this has happened in the past and just shutting it off and turning it back on usually worked. No such luck today!

Thanks for your help!!!!

Oh, wow.

You are in deep ummm, stuff.

You need your recovery disk.

Oh, you say you don't have one? Whoops!

Then you need the recovery CD that came with your computer.

Come on, even HP can't be THAT incompetent as to not send a recovery CD! You should have gotten some CD's and stuff when you bought your computer. One of them will say "Recovery" on it.

Good luck, C!

That sounds awful. icon_frown.gif:(--> Definately looks like you may have lost the OS on the computer. That indeed will cost him all his data on the computer. Argg, I hate to see that. It has happened to me before as well. Very disasterous.

By the way, I use Win2K on both of my computers here at home. Actually the Compaq I put away. I built a computer from scratch, that has a 2.2Ghz P4 a 40GB and a 20GB hard drive. I have every port and slot filled on this machine, and have been running it constantly for a year. Not one crash, not even a dent! Win2K is really not as hard as some of you think it is. I will probably wait several more years before even thinking of switching to another OS. I started with 95, then the 98 upgrade, which was ok, then went to ME. Damned if I didn't have constant problems with that one. ME cannot handle resources at all. If you get too many programs running at once, it doesn't matter how much RAM you have, it is going to slow to a crawl, and die on you very quickly. Only a complete reinstall will solve the problem temporarily. Not worth it at all. I decided to trust Win2K at the time since my work computers handled it, and there was no resources to contend with. We always had several programs running hard, and the OS ran like a champ.

XP by the way, is kind of a home user version of Win2K. Which is why they are so compatible. Another thing I hate about XP is their piracy protection. If I wanted to install it in both of my computers, I would have to have 2 licenses. That really sucks.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"..........but hey, I love to see a good Clothesline once in a while

I want to use an Apple. I don't know why though. Steve Jobs is an idiot, Apples are too expensive, and their mice suck. Their OS doesn't have much software, and their UI is probably more flashy than it needs to be.

But at the same time, something just seems to be cool about it. Bah...I've been spending too much time with the wrong crowd I guess.

P-Mosh: Oh, the Mac isn't that bad. Depends on what you want to use it for. Apple's Final Cut Pro is a kick-*** video editor that isn't available on the PC.

I use WinXP, both Pro and Home versions, and Win98SE on my old laptop. No problems.

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the Word of God..."

I have Macs. Final Cut Pro is definitely great.

One thing that makes the mac worth its price is the fact that it does not get about 98% of the viruses and spywares, since most of them are written for windows.

It is very cool, too. Granted it has its limitations on availability of software, but it is solid, reliable and the software that it does have is written for the hardware on the machine. A good marriage of hardware and software.