GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI's Appeal

Belle

I started this here to avoid derailing GT's thread.

From TWI's website under the "who we are" section:

Why are we so interested in providing Biblical research, teaching, and fellowship to others? Because the Word of God is that food required by man so that he may renew his mind and thereby manifest the more abundant life. Lack of spiritual strength caused by neglect of the Word of God may today be attributed to the fact that the Bible is not understood when read. People have not been taught how to understand things like figures of speech, Eastern customs, what revelation truly is, and the accuracy of the Word. Our ministry provides this service and direction.

emphasis is mine - This paragraph alone shows how 'out of touch' TWI is with what goes on in churches these days. All the churches I have visited now offer all kinds of classes, study groups and provide information for their members who ARE interested in these things. They are by no means mandatory, required or even promoted other than to let the congregation know that they offer such studies.

A newcomer to TWI's site reads that paragraph and laughs because they HAVE been taught the things that TWI says people haven't been taught. (I know, I've asked a few non-TWIt friends of mine for their opinions on the site).

Just reading the entire section on who they are I'm struck by how "odd" the language sounds now that I don't talk and think in TWI-speak....

"that food required....so that he may renew his mine...thereby manifest..."

"hungering and thirsting"

"practical application of the Bible"

"set forth.....workman of the Word...rightly dividing....blessed"

"fully persuaded"

"Biblical students....discipline themselves"

"words of edification and comfort"

"ever seeking....appropriate the promises...more abundant life"

"manifest power from on high"

"freely avails"

Since 1942, our ministry has provided Biblical research that is being used throughout the world today.

They really should qualify that statement to let people know that it's only used by TWI throughout the world where they have fellowships.

I had thought about those things this week-end after attending a local church that I have visited on a number of occasions and really enjoy.

They have a mission statement and it is the enthusiastic refrain at the end of service every Sunday:

To know the love of Jesus Christ and pass it on!

They have a vision statement:

To impact Maitland, Central Florida and the World with the message of Jesus Christ by meeting the needs of children and youth

They actually follow through on these things by participating in the Coalition for the Homeless and so many other ways to give and serve that someone can find something they might be interested in, but if someone doesn't want to participate in anything, they don't feel bad for not doing so.

Next Sunday starts "Lakeside Vespers" on the lake where the church is. They are going to have musical concerts each Sunday starting with a "Pure Jazz" theme. There will be a show tunes theme, a Broadway Musical theme, etc. This is one way they provide entertainment and a way for the members to enjoy themselves and, hopefully, bring someone.

It just has SOOOOOOOO much more to offer than TWI could ever imagine and with churches doing things like this, there really isn't the need and appeal for TWI-like organizations as perhaps there was in the past.

TWI could easily be defined as still in the "dark ages" as to what is really available now for church-going Christians. An ex-twier who doesn't frequent GS has taken some doctrinal classes that cover go from the beginning of Christianity all the way to current times. She has told me that what twi taught in 50-70's is what Christianity as a whole started to learn more of. The difference is that the churches kept building on that and adding more knowledge/practical things to it and twi stayed put. I have noticed a lot of churches do all types of things-including prayer ministry and counselling to help people heal up on the inside. I had no idea so many things were available!

I assumed by the subject of the topic that it refered to a lawsuit being appealed.

Funny how the other meaning of appeal being associated with TWI never crossed my mind.

I agree, Belle, about how awkward the wording sounds. Funny thing is, I DID originally get into TWI out of an interest in understanding apparent Bible contradictions, but that paragraph from TWI's website just leaves me cold. I never would have gotten involved based on reading that.

And yeah, the Christian church was doing the charismatic renewal thing while TWI was in its heyday. Most churches have lots of programs where people can get as involved as they want -- Bible studies, prayer groups, service to the church or to the community. But with TWI, you aren't spiritual enough unless you take on the whole megillah.

Regards,

Shaz

Belle,

You sure are right...again! :)

Right before Mrs. Patriot and I declared our independence, I still

remember the look on one woman's face (we both know her) when she said

the oh-too-familiar line "there is just nothing outside of the ministry." I do dearly

love her and her hubby, but honestly it just seemed so "Stepford Wife" ish. Soon

after me and another young man started talking about the great stuff we heard on

a Joyce Myers teaching. She smiled, but was stunned that anything could be learned

from outside twi. I do so love many of those people dearly, but I just feel so

sorry for them. :(

People have not been taught how to understand things like figures of speech, Eastern customs, what revelation truly is, and the accuracy of the Word. Our ministry provides this service and direction.

The implication being, no one else except us knows about this and can teach you about this.

None of the Way's research on any of this is original, so of course others know about this and offer information concerning these subjects. Today, one only needs an internet search engine to do their own "research" into these subjects.

"Our ministry provides this...direction."

We'll tell ya what ya needs to know, keeds. Because it's what, class?

The Way, The Way, and nothing BUT the Way! That's riiiiiiight!

:mooner:

I started this here to avoid derailing GT's thread.

A newcomer to TWI's site reads that paragraph and laughs because they HAVE been taught the things that TWI says people haven't been taught. (I know, I've asked a few non-TWIt friends of mine for their opinions on the site).

It seems like TWI is trying sucker people that people never been taught this or that. Since their best researchers are gone, they have to re-invent the wheel and market it as a better product that you never had (when in reality, you already and still have it).

Just reading the entire section on who they are I'm struck by how "odd" the language sounds now that I don't talk and think in TWI-speak....

"that food required....so that he may renew his mine...thereby manifest..."

"hungering and thirsting"

"practical application of the Bible"

"set forth.....workman of the Word...rightly dividing....blessed"

"fully persuaded"

"Biblical students....discipline themselves"

"words of edification and comfort"

"ever seeking....appropriate the promises...more abundant life"

"manifest power from on high"

"freely avails"

They really should qualify that statement to let people know that it's only used by TWI throughout the world where they have fellowships.

It's like they try to express themselves in such a grand way. TWI is also showing their own lingo just as many Cults have their own lingo as well.

I had thought about those things this week-end after attending a local church that I have visited on a number of occasions and really enjoy.

They have a mission statement and it is the enthusiastic refrain at the end of service every Sunday:

To know the love of Jesus Christ and pass it on!

They have a vision statement:

To impact Maitland, Central Florida and the World with the message of Jesus Christ by meeting the needs of children and youth

They actually follow through on these things by participating in the Coalition for the Homeless and so many other ways to give and serve that someone can find something they might be interested in, but if someone doesn't want to participate in anything, they don't feel bad for not doing so.

Next Sunday starts "Lakeside Vespers" on the lake where the church is. They are going to have musical concerts each Sunday starting with a "Pure Jazz" theme. There will be a show tunes theme, a Broadway Musical theme, etc. This is one way they provide entertainment and a way for the members to enjoy themselves and, hopefully, bring someone.

It just has SOOOOOOOO much more to offer than TWI could ever imagine and with churches doing things like this, there really isn't the need and appeal for TWI-like organizations as perhaps there was in the past.

It's funny how TWI condemn and criticizes other churches when it is actually the ones doing the things that they condemn (making things like classes, fellowship attendances mandatory).

Keep things posted. Your posts are very interesting.

Best Regards.

Awww, shucks....thanks, FFC. :)

you said:

It's like they try to express themselves in such a grand way.

I was never as good at throwing around adjectives, flowery language and bombastic speech as I was while involved with TWI. That's one thing I reckon I can say about my involvement - it sure did increase my vocabulary and my ability to say nothing in two hundred words or more. :D

Awww, shucks....thanks, FFC. :)

you said:

I was never as good at throwing around adjectives, flowery language and bombastic speech as I was while involved with TWI. That's one thing I RECKON I can say about my involvement

What are you saying? I think that "Reckon" really shows your flowery language. :D