GreaseSpot Cafe

Freedom of Expression

Oakspear

Oldies:

Since you're using Wiccans & Pagans to make your point, most of those groups do not have a set of doctrines that everybody must follow (some do, but most don't) - and, other than you, nobody is bringing up taking over a pulpit and teaching, or agressively pushing contrary views.

That's your strawman.

You get some agreement on the point that isn't being debated and declare victory.

the issue in TWI was that you couldn't go to coffee with another wayfer and express a non-approved opinion on a subject that TWI had taken a position on without the Inquisition showing up at your door.

Edited by Oakspear

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and leap out from under God's protection

Or to put it another way --if it was this bad under "God's protection" how much worse must it be "out there"???

For those of you who left--more power to you

But please stop telling the rest of us--whose shoes you've never seen much less put on, much less walked in-- that this was a decision somehow on par with deciding if you wanted to change jobs. It was much much more with much higher stakes

Edited by templelady

Quote from Temple Lady:

'But please stop telling the rest of us--whose shoes you've never seen much less put on, much less walked in-- that this was a decision somehow on par with deciding if you wanted to change jobs. It was much much more with much higher stakes.'

Yup--our LC was real concerned about our kids. It is pretty chilling to hear your children might be in danger.

Sorry temple it's a biblical decision is it or is it not what the scriptures say. If you were standing for the truth as most in the way would have said they were, at least at the time. The choice was simple do what the Bible says . All other things that come into play although they might be unpleasant should not have detoured you from doing what you were claiming that is doing the word you just walk forth and believe that the power of God is greater than any threat that has no biblical truth. If ya didn't you didn't ,but that was your choice! Paul upheld the truth he knew despite being beaten. You don't see oh but they threatened me as an excuse to not uphold the truth.

Quote, White dove:

'Sorry temple it's a biblical decision is it or is it not what the scriptures say. If you were standing for the truth as most in the way would have said they were, at least at the time. The choice was simple do what the Bible says . All other things that come into play although they might be unpleasant should not have detoured you from doing what you were claiming that is doing the word you just walk forth and believe that the power of God is greater than any threat that has no biblical truth. If ya didn't you didn't ,but that was your choice! Paul upheld the truth he knew despite being beaten. You don't see oh but they threatened me as an excuse to not uphold the truth.'

Hmm, yet they taught Bible verses all about obeying--and disobedience and bad consequnces. So some of us were not so smart as you to be able to tell the True Bible verses from the Untrue Bible verses.

It would have been so much simpler if we'd all been you.

It would have been so much simpler if we'd all been you.

Actually that is not the case! It would have been simpler if each one had learned to seperate truth from eror as they should have learned, instead of thinking they were there for a career advancement, or to learn how to make money, or some other such ideas. As in most things in life you get out what you put into things. One could always use the excuse that it would be simpler if we were just like Jesus or Paul or Peter if that makes you feel better. The truth is we are who we are and we own our life whatever our choices.

Edited by WhiteDove

Exactly TL if I had a dime for every whine I heard about how my career in so and so suffered. Hello..... not what the program was for. If you wanted a career go to college not the Way Corps.

Lots of people who went in TWI had to put their talents and career interests on hold to fulfill the expectations of TWI
Remember those dreams you had of a professional career?...or of starting your own business, buying a home and raising a family? Remember how you wanted to plant roots in one place and build a life for yourself? How you wanted to get that college degree and establish yourself in the community?...

Forget it

It took me time to recover from 13 years of believing the wrong stuff...my career suffered, my finances

The truth is we are who we are and we own our life whatever our choices.

Edited by WhiteDove

Career advancement? Huh? What are you talking about White Dove?

I'm confused. I already had a career. I was a stay at home mom.

Hubby and I would have been quite happy to remain small (okay, tiny) town twig coordinators, running PFAL classes now and then, and hanging out with the other small town believers.

But, alas, we had a mortgage, we had big medical bills. We were dumb enough to believe we really should take leadership's counsel, sell and move to the Big City.

It was all down hill from there.

How was it so easy to see the 'Truth'?

13 years of believing the wrong stuff

Thirteen years of believing the wrong stuff and you look down on the rest of us

Where is your compassion??

where is your understanding??

You remind me of a passage from the book "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"

{its been a long time since I read it (say 40+ years) so I'm paraphrasing here}

The young girl in the story, who lives in a Brooklyn slum, goes to the free clinic where the doctor comments on how dirty she was--the nurse, who grew up in the same slums--instead of saying something to make the child feel better looks the other way. The young girl makes a comment to the reader along the lines of ---

that there are two kinds of people in the world-- Those who never forget where they came from and those who want everybody else to forget where they came from.

I took that lesson to heart and have tried never to forget it in my dealings with others.

It is a sad thing not to have empathy and compassion about a situation you know nothing about--but to lack the same for a situation that you are all too familiar with having lived it yourself--is disgraceful IMO

Wrong again TL you missed the point. Which is it is misplaced attachment. blaming something that had nothing to do with your choice If one chooses to spend their life in a religious program that is setup to serve others you can not expect to be furthering your career in the secular world. Most people doing mission work know and understand this they don't come back from the field with a law degree. It's simple if you want a career go to college if you want to serve in the way you involved yourself there. Whatever was your choice was YOUR choice own it and don't expect it to be different years later because you did not like the path you took. Choices, Choices, Choices.

Edited by WhiteDove

Whatever was your choice was YOUR choice own it and don't expect it to be different years later because you did not like the path you took. Choices, Choices, Choices.

Except we aren't talking about degrees or careers here

there are a myriad of reasons for wanting to leave a religious organization, school and career have to be at the bottom of the list.

Please do not try to nullify the true issues being discussed her by trying to imply that career and school was the primary reason people wanted out.

We are talking about abuse

People wanted out because they were being oppressed, because they were being abused, because their wives, sister, daughters were being abused because their children were being threatened.

In my case abusive hubby got the TC and branch/Limb coordinator to go with him to OCS and say that I had abuse issues and the children needed to be protected from Me--So for two years there was an court order in in place that said I couldn't take the kids anywhere or be alone with them unless SD --the real abuser- was present . Did I mention that the TC in question was Rich Urquhart??? I mean when your "minister" and your "bishop" are behind your husband--what court is going to take the word of a suspect wife over "men of the cloth"

WD what is clear is that you have absolutely no concept of the reality of TWI for thousands of people