GreaseSpot Cafe

Going to a new church: KC Revolution

CoolWaters

kcrevolution.jpg

A couple of weeks ago we started going to a new church. We did this after listening to several audio sermons/sharings. We were wowed!

Anyway, I'm not trying to convert/convince anybody about anything spiritual/religious. I'm kinda bragging, kinda plugging their homepage, blogs, audio and video collection and stuff...because I think that it's worth sharing with those who are interested. Those who aren't interested...well...too bad! LOL Just kidding. Y'all don't have to look/read this post. Tee hee.

Click the banner up there and it will take you to their homepage.

Edited by CoolWaters

Belle! I was just going to post a link to the site in your thread about how a church should act! LOL

I have church-hopped quite a bit in the last several years, but I always keep coming back to the UMC. I was baptized in the UMC a few years ago...which is amazing because I had NEVER BEFORE felt the urge to be baptized, but after several years of working with them in our community, and after a couple of years of learning the ins and outs of the UMC, and after watching preachers come and go while the congregation stayed the course, I was impressed and decided that if ever there was a time and a place to be baptized, that was it.

Listening to some of the sermons/sharings on the site was so refreshing! And so NOT twi...OR same old same old religiousity.

And the way these folks serve one another and the community! They're just a small handful of people but they do so much!

Anyway, if you were here I'd grab ya up and haul ya in with me! LOL

Ron, you really yanked that one out of context.

CW, on their Web site, under "Our Vision," what it says is:

"At Revolution we believe that we were created by a relational God to be relational people, therefore "self-sufficiency," which leads to a world of isolation from meaningful relationships, is a farce and should be avoided."

They're clearly not talking about self-sufficiency in terms of self-reliance but in terms of "no man is an island."

Tsk tsk, Ron.

I'll admit I'm wary, but I don't see the point of misquotihng these folks.

Thanks Linda!

Ron! You being bad boy! That 'quote' was taken so out of context (literally...you actually left out the context) that I couldn't find where you may have gotten it from.

Part of this church's outreach ministries is Neighbor 2 Neighbor whose outreach mission statement is, "Our Outreach Mission: Neighbor to Neighbor is devoted to empowering homeless and near homeless persons toward recovery through initiatives that offer basic support and promote human dignity."

Human dignity clearly does not imply parasitic living off of others.

"self sufficiency" ...is a farce and should be avoided.

This is the subject of a daily devotional I received in email a couple of days ago, the point of which was that we really are all members of the body of Christ and are here on this earth to help each other.

"Am I my brother's keeper?" is a question from the first murderer. We are our brother's keeper, to include taking care of the natural resources for our progeny to reaching out to help one another all we have.

The concept of helping one another (going beyond preaching at people) is why I have grown into the Catholic church. They are really into helping others - from the local charities to missions abroad which build sanitation and fresh water facilities, schools and orphanages and hospitals as needed to help folks (of course some monasteries make fine wine and fudge to support their endeavors as well).

This concept also goes along with the parable of the spoons topic that is going on alongside this one.

{{{{{Ron}}}}} I love bad boys! :D

Open discussion is the best thing there is...especially when it comes to things one might be blind to. Ya know?

My very first reaction to these folks was 'sounds like a new cult to me'. I even emailed the pastor and said as much!

My reaction was based mainly upon knowing that most of what their website said about them came right from the United Methodist Church...and I was suspicious of rhetoric that encouraged people to break away from the 'norm' of church. Isn't that exactly what was so attractive about twi? Well, it was for me.

It was several weeks before I even considered giving this church another look. Then I listened to some of the sermons and sharings...and started an email relationship with pastor. Once I attended the church and learned even more of their heart, well, I was excited.

So you're right...

When something jumps out at you like that, bring it up and talk about it! It's the only way to check out the reality of the situation. IMO.

Thanks!

And PS: If you feel the need to do so again, please do! I have a tendency to allow myself to be blind if I'm excited about something. :)