GreaseSpot Cafe

I Cor 13:1-13

CK appears to subscribe to the assumption that a many of us at one time held - that the Bible by itself speaks for itself.

I recall during my WOW year (82-83) making posters for each session of the "foundational" class we were running. For the session on "The Bible Interprets Itself", I copiled an illustration presenting an open Bible with a cartoon balloon arising from a verse, which read "No prophecy of scripture is of private interpretation...". Corny, but it was quite reflective of what I believed at the time.

But I also had enough common sense at the time to NOT insert the mediatorship of a tiny floating Wierwille head in-between the open Bible and the cartoon balloon magnifying the passage.

I took seriously the "ideal" that the purpose of the PFAL class was to teach one how to study the Bible for themselves, despite its many errors and shortcomings. Apparently this concept became lost somewhere.

But the notion of enabling and empowering each individual to research the scriptures for themselves in order to develop, prove (or disprove) concepts on their own without requiring another human intermediary still has much going for it, IMHO.

I think it is true to a considerable degree what Wierwille said - that one cannot go beyond what one is taught. But I would add - including Wierwille's teachings, if one confines themselves to such.

There are vast treasures in libraries throughout the country waiting to be mined. What a shame that those who already have "all the answers" in one brief, 35-hour class deprive themselves for no good reason.

Interestingly, today was my last day on an old job, before beginning a new job this coming Moday with a fortune 500 company which will pay me so much more than I've been making at the old job (s).

My old employers tried to hang onto me, by offering a couple more dollars an hour, with the argument

"Why change jobs? You already know how to do in this one, yet you'll have to go through all the trouble of learning the other one, and driving a little further"

"But I don't mind learning new things and besides, the new job pays more."

Danny

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic