GreaseSpot Cafe

Todd Rundgren fans here?... Seen the 'New Cars' band?

SafariVista

Any Todd Rundgren fans reading here?

In my younger days I'd go to every Utopia concert I could get to :) The music was good and the words had meaning... the crowd was different... some people brought their kids. Personally, I thought Kasam was cute, and recently viewed a video of the 1980 concert in Royal Oak... I never noticed that their teeth were so crooked?... wild to take a look back into time like that... caught some drum sticks in that concert!

The New Cars looks like fun...

Might be a good concert for the family...?

Anyone else?

can read about them here: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1002158139

I haven't heard the new incarnation of The Cars... but I've generally liked most of what TR has done (although he did get a little spacy for me for a while)... I'll have to check it out...

For some reason I've always had a lot of respect/admiration for those guys that jumped in when they were real young- Rundgren, Winwood, Neil Young...

Saw him in '99 at a small art festival in FL. He was pretty good. But his last tour through FL was awful, so this one could be a real hit or miss. I am spoiled because in FL we really get to pick and choose which groups we see. I just saw the Stones and the were incredible.

The New Cars were on The Tonight Show not too long ago. I missed the band though... I could barely stay awake... Leno just seemed to drag on and on... and then I fell asleep! grrrrr

That performance and others available to view online :)

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/ne...s/road_rage.htm

Looks like a group of middle age guys having fun~ :eusa_clap:

The Road Rage Tour will be with Blondie...

Utopia? ...how 'bout "Nazz"?

Nazz wasn't that good I'm afraid to say. I don't think TR would be opposed to that characterization. They did have

3 records and made some headway though this was like 67-69 and there were LOTS of bands doing interesting

things other than straight pop tunes. I think Nazz was just a mere warm-up group for Todd and nothing else. Thats just my opinion.

I must say that TR is far more accomplished than former Car's frontman Ric Ocasek who in my mind is quite

limited in range and material. I am a bit surprised that TR would take this gig because he clearly can stand on his

own and has written superior material and accomplished some excellent productions.

From watching the footage it is clear that the Cars tunes are trivial for Todd to cover whereas Ocasek could barely keep

his voice going and couldn't write much outside of a "new wave" style. In concert, OCasek wouldn't even move - he would

just stand there and pose out behind his sunglasses and play muted chords on the guitar while Elliot Easton handled

all the guitar work. When I think about it, the best Car's songs weren't even sung by Ocasek . It was the bass player Ben Orr. I know that OCasek wrote all the songs but after the second Cars record it was too much like bubblegum. One of their tunes was almost like a children's song you might hear on Sesame street. I will say this - Elliot Easton is a great guitarist and a prime example of someone who didn't need to hog the spot light with showy guitar solos - but could rock..

Edited by diazbro

diazbro, I agree w/ your comments on Nazz & TR.

The Cars gig seems like a bit of fun...

For me Utopia during the early 80's was a big ball of fun, but I lost touch with reality in 82. That was my year to learn all about PFAL and all the things I had to change to become the Woman God wanted me to be~

My children would like to go to a concert... I'm feeling a bit safer w/ the New Cars/Blondie than one of the popular rapper groups :)

I've always been a TR fan. I, too, am surprised he's teaming up with the Cars, but hey, that's show business.

I recently bought his greatest hits CD. I made huge mistake and bought a "remix". NOT the same, but I didn't know any better. Now I know.

If performing, where does one perform in Royal Oak? I know RO, MI well, but can't think of where one would give a concert there.

I saw Rundgren in '74 between Nazz and Utopia and in '76 with Utopia. He struck me as being REALLY egotistical. The guy who killed John Lennon is into Todd pretty heavy. I like "Open my eyes" and "Communion with the Sun" and "Love in action". I guess I'd be willing to give the New Cars a listen.

AmazingGrace :)

Utopia preformed live at the Royal Oak Theatre (Michigan) in 1981

Royal Oak Music Theatre

318 W. Fourth Street

Royal Oak, MI 48067 248.399.2980

During this concert his wife was with him with their baby... Egotistical... perhaps... but that Kasam sure was cute ;)

My favorites at the time were:

"Couldn't I Just Tell You."

"The Very Last Time"

"Love in Action"

Was just 20 at the time... ahhhh, what nice memories :love3:

Utopia preformed live at the Royal Oak Theatre (Michigan) in 1981

Ahhh, yes.... the Royal Oak Theatre... how quickly one forgets.

1981.... my life was wrapped up in twigs then.... most of them, ironically, in RO.

Didn't know much about anything else then.

1981... a fog year for sure for me. I was 23 and naivee.