GreaseSpot Cafe

Lawsuits Initiated by The Way?

Nottawayfer

Do you laugh about it now, Belle? Sometimes when I read/hear that stuff, I think it's funny. I mean, for the life of me I can't imagine being part of a group -- any group -- that forbade me to read anything critical of it.

Back in earlier times, when any sort of publicity came out about The Way (and, especially with Jim Jones, the wave of deprogrammings, and general hostility toward cults, it was ALL negative) we would gather around to read it. When a new book on cults would be published, I'd immediately check it out to see if we were listed. Funny, but the effect it had on me was to keep me safe in the group. Sort of proved how hostile and unwelcoming "the world" would be. You'd think they would be sending all their followers to GS to gawk and say, "But for the grace of God, there go I" or something thereabouts. There were more than a few meetings where we would have to walk through a line of protesters to get in, and they would be shouting at us that we were brainwashed, or whatever, holding placards, the whole thing. A different time, for sure.

Anyway, it's hard to comprehend the changes.

Back in earlier times, when any sort of publicity came out about The Way (and, especially with Jim Jones, the wave of deprogrammings, and general hostility toward cults, it was ALL negative) we would gather around to read it. When a new book on cults would be published, I'd immediately check it out to see if we were listed. Funny, but the effect it had on me was to keep me safe in the group. Sort of proved how hostile and unwelcoming "the world" would be.

yeah laleo... wasn't that crazy? ...it was sort of a "badge of courage" to be listed in them ...but then, we knew we were right!

Yeah, Laleo, I do laugh about it. It's just so surreal!! And they think they're "normal" with that behavior....and I was so scared of them. :blink: BUT, I'm glad they're that neurotic because that was one of the straws on the camel's back so to speak. The fact that I had to go to such great lengths to protect my identity from them was a clear sign that something was definitely rotten in Denmark. I mean - GEEZE OH PETE - trying to hack into my log on????? :confused: pretty pathetic for a "Christian" organization.

I had no idea bout the protesters and such! WOW! Have we ever discussed that on here? Where was I to have missed it? I, too, thought it was cool that people were soooooo mad at TWI and that appealed to my rebellious side - which is probably part of why I stayed around even when I was getting bored with them while I was younger. Once I got married it was a different story.

Back in earlier times, when any sort of publicity came out about The Way (and, especially with Jim Jones, the wave of deprogrammings, and general hostility toward cults, it was ALL negative) we would gather around to read it..... There were more than a few meetings where we would have to walk through a line of protesters to get in, and they would be shouting at us that we were brainwashed, or whatever, holding placards, the whole thing. A different time, for sure.

Please do tell me more!!