GreaseSpot Cafe

My GIS Presentation

herbiejuan

I've been learning Geographic Information Systems in school. The class needed a few prerequisites as most of us were floundering from the very start, but I did learn alot about Excel and PowerPoint and Arc Map. Fact is I've forgotten more about GIS than most of you know ;)

I'm particularly proud of my topic as it plays directly into another trend, building a sustainable agriculture infrastructure in Georgia and the Southeast. I hope the files transfered ok.

Obviously I need to fiqure out how to remove my scrawlings, fotunately I can turn that feature off before I begin my presentation.

Building_Capacity3.ppt

Edited by herbiejuan

Herbie,

I work in the County Assessor's Office which includes Cartography (Mapping) as part of our office. We are in the process of taking all of the mapping from physically-drawn maps to a complete GIS system available on our website. There is a small part of it done. However, we have a chinese-owned Canadian company doing the parcel layers for us. They are failing miserably right now. I am really excited to see it all done. We have done orthorphotography for one of the layers available in GIS. It's really interesting when you get to areas like the Hoover Dam or even closing in on my own house.

Your PowerPoint presentation has some blue writing on some pages. Did you mean for that to happen?

Nice job - I also saw the same scrawling on slides 4 and 19. If you get the US Census Tiger Files you can get the lat/lon of the centroids of zip codes.

A lot of work like yours has alread been done in some S.A. countries who export primarily to the U.S. They did it to establish credibility as produce and fruit suppliers. The stat calculations are not identical - i.e. you are correlating sustainable Ag in US for US customers - the the principles will overlap somewhat

Anyway - congrats

I went back through the pages and removed my scribblings, the blue the red and the yellow. I think I left most of the origional text alone. I saved it to my 1 Gig Flash Drive. I'll give a talk with it in the morning.

I figured a study like this had already been done. It looked lile too simple a concept to be left easily ignored.

I've a few more layers to add to the final map. I'm hoping for funding for a growers school.

From what I've seen there are more factirs to add then there is memory

Edited by herbiejuan

The presentation went well and I had fun giving it. I fielded some lightweight questions and sat back down.

Tom I left the background on the maps but I got rid of the overwriting I did n slide show. I finally figured out how to leave notes for myself in the composition layer so I won't contend with errant scratchings at the wrong time and place.

I also made alist of relevant data I want to download and add to the map. I found many other feature classes that would be helpful in developing this marketplace.

A friend that owned and operated an good sized organic cattle operation in Calif sold it and is moving to this area.

From the map you can see the relevant production data.

I started this project because I wanted to turn bowls n grow garlic. I found no market for my garlic. I figured out why and in the process inherited a 2 yr backlog of emails and phone messages.

I decided to adress the key issues and I became a board member and began work on defining a response to said problem.

So far we have completed two demographic profiles, several hours of on filmed farmed interview (edited by three Emmy winners). There is a sustainable agrculture curriculum almost finished to teach this stuff in high school and GO has provided an advisor to UGA to develope a sustainable agriculture program there. I am developing a Master Farmers program which will be a down n nasty short course in growing sustainably.

Our Montessori school is moving and the new site will not only look like a farm but each childs family will spend time in the community garden providing 100% of the schools food needs. They chose the site mostly to accomplish these goals with price as a secondary goal. A Bowdon Veterenarian and his wife own the franchise and worked with the board to develop this stratagy. The school recieved an award from the Rodale Institute for its efforts in teaching sustainable agriculture to its students.

Edited by herbiejuan

I hope it's not too late, but...

Slide 5 - bullets should end with question marks

Slide 11 - can you shade your Excel cells in white so it shows up on the slide? Or could you place a white box under the Excel grid - the black text on the blue background is a little hard to see...

Slide 24 - move the connecting line that is attached now to the bottom of the last text box ("I then removed the state zip code") and attach the end of that connecting line to the TOP of that text box.

Slide 25 - there's some blue handwritten script in there - can't read it - you might want to remove it.

Looks good - nice and clean - easy to read - and not a bunch of flippy animation! :)