GreaseSpot Cafe

Voices of Reason

Oakspear

"I know when I do I am mostly ignored,Gs has its own little click,so be it.I came here with alot of questions"

I feel the same way alot of times frank. There is definately a "click" here. It is almost like they go out of their way to post to each other and talk around anybody else who has input into a thread. But I am not hear to join a club anyway, so I just still post and hope maybe something I say or post can help someone make an informed decision. I no longer need validation from some group of people.

Also I think alot of the posters here know each other outside of the forums and talk to each other alot so it is a little more personal for them when they post.

I dunno - I tend to think that the majority of the time, people are relatively respectful of each other. Yes, there are times when emotions run high and things become more heated and personal. However, I don't think that is the case the majority of the time. What perhaps is the case, the majority of the time, is that those threads where things are heated are the more "popular" threads - the ones that get read the most. Human nature being what it is - the fights add "excitement".

I also think that lately there has been a few relatively new posters, whose intent appears to be only to stir up s**t. I'm not talking about those who hold the minority view regarding VPW, such as Oldies, Mike, or JohnIam. I think they are usually respectful in communicating their opinions - at least until emotions begin to run high. I'm talking about people like Allen and CK - who rarely appear to add anything to a conversation beyond insults or statements that are clearly meant to harrass, cause pain, or instigate a fight.

I would not have the nerve to talk to people here face to face the way I post. I am extremely vain. Remember that cliche where someone asks, "Do you think I just like to hear myself talk?" Yes, I actually like to hear myself talk. And the next best thing is to post something, and read it over again. Socks alluded to it (the "sound" of my written voice).

quote: I'm not talking about more for the moderators to do, but "allies" in different arguments keeping each other calm. For example, if I am getting nasty on an agnostic or atheist thread, George Aar or Sudo might be the one to help point out that I am getting out of line, since I know that we have similar opinions.

I agree. Allies are a good thing. Iron sharpeneth iron.

When I post bluntly, things I wouldn't say to someone face to face, it's not because I enjoy hurting people or enjoy being a jerk, it's because there are many situations in adult life where you have to bite your tongue for one reason or another. TWI weren't the only ones that made us do that. So having a forum where I don't have to bite my tongue as much is a temptation/opportunity.

I think I've learned more about myself on GSC than anything else.

Edited by johniam

Thank ee Rumrunner.

Oh my!....."more than decently"....hmmm....I probably need to change that!!!!!!!!!

I really am a FAR cry from more than decent. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

You my dear friend, held my hand and heart on many an occassion.....I am forever grateful. :knuddel:

Reunions.................after decades............who would have thunk????? Great rejoicing to my soul. :wub: :dance:

***damn damn damn - posted by ABIGAIL*******

"I think I've learned more about myself on GSC than anything else."

Johniam - you and I are often on opposite sides of debate. In addition, you often say things that really *%^#* me off. But I have to admit - you also say things that show your "human side" (only for lack of a better term) and that leaves me stuck thinking you are at least a little bit a-okay. :D

Edited by Sushi