GreaseSpot Cafe

Hi, all gardeners

kimberly

Well, all I have is clay, clay, clay and more clay. That is why I amend, amend and have amended the soil over the years. Yet, with the glories of lime much has been grown in clay in our region. Amazing how nature becomes acclimated.

Leafy, we most assuredly are brethren. We are chicken lovers!!! I grew up wringing chickens necks. I have become such a softie I don't know if I could do it now. My grandparents raised chickens, pigs, corn and tobacco. Every Saturday afternoon I accompanied Grandpa to the chicken yard. Let me tell you this wasn't just a pen. It was nearly a quarter of an acre. And I might add the outhouse was in the back left corner. I visited the old place a couple of years ago. It was still as big as I imagined it.

And let me tell you folks, if you have never eaten fresh chicken and bacon or sausage.....you can't imagine. My grandparents raised it all on the feed they grew.....no additives except sage, salt and peppers. Folks back in that time knew how to grow, preserve, and live off the land. I am thankful I learned from them. Holy moly, the garden they grew that sustained them through the winter......the canning....I remember.

One of these days I am gonna have to write about the smoke house. Spooky place. Large carcasses hanging from the rafters.....We were forbidden to open the door. But being children we would sneak a peek and run away screaming.

Gosh, those were truly the good days. Did I mention the cellar under the tobacco house where the canning goods were stored?

Oh My mY... I come from farming stock though until recent years I have lived always in the city... regarding the chickens the nicest ones friendliest are the rhode Island reds.. and the astrolorphe.. teh buff orphingtons make the best mamma hens.. and do not get sex links they are by nature mean, they lay lots of eggs and are hardy but they are not friendly.

I also love the sweet gentle black bared(the striped chicken)

Once we had a leghorn but she was just so skitish I would never have another unless it was by accident.

Depending on which type of Aracana you get they can be friendly or shy... they lay green eggs. and are ferocious bug hunters. THis is a big plus.. Mine are free range throughout the yard and they keep my snail population to a real minimum. A big plus in California where as Rumrunner pointed out the snails have inherited the earth. LOL.

Also Rumrunner I have another snail disposal secret. it is gorilla hair. snails are gone over night when you put it down HAng on let me get a link...

Gorilla Hair Mulch

This stuff is awesome and non toxic.

I have seen snails completely disappear overnight.

No poison involved.

do note you have to wear gloves when working with it as it is shredded red wood bark and you get splinters from it.

Okay since we are talking garden product... canned goods

My grandma used to make this amazing home made currant jelly. it was so psectacularly delicious. Living out west I am unable to even begin to experiment.. This is tempered by the fact that because of where I live, I have Santa rosa Plums... THe BEST jamming plum ever. Not to mention Apricots.... a special small sweet variety (Blenheim) that is grown specifically for drying and jamming in my area. MMMMM the golden fragrant fruit is just a few short months away.

Edited by leafytwiglet

Home canning is neither difficult nor expensive however it is time consuming and tedious. The reward is worth the effort. Two extremely important items: sanitization and following the instructions for your particular items to be canned down to the "T's". Non-acidic plants such as beans or asparagus usually will call for some acid to be added, be it vinegar, lemon juice etc. You have to be very careful with beans which can be subject to botulism. Naturally acidic plants such as tomatoes are easy.

Ball is of course the corporation that made home canning an industry and they are still the benchmark in safety and quality. The web site below carries all of there canning line - however most of it you can get in your grocery store. I highly recommend that you start with the Ball Blue Book on canning.

http://www.goodmans.net/get_dept_597.htm

Enjoy

Leafy, I doubt I could have free range chickens right now. I have two labs that live in the back yard. We had Rhode Island Reds and some sort of chickens that were rather large and had all white feathers.

rumrunner, in these here parts it is the all holy Mason jar; good for canning and being used for the likes of sipping sweet iced tea and storing moonshine....so the southern lore goes about moonshine.

About the only thing I don't can is corn and red and green bell peppers. I blanch and freeze it. Red and green bell peppers just slice, toss together in a little salt and put in freezer. Near the end of the mater season when there is not enough to can just core, peel, toss a little salt in with them and freeze. I have a chest deep freezer. All items to be frozen are put in freezer containers and then wrapped in freezer paper or butcher paper. For those who only have a refrigerator freezer if you wrap your frozen foods like this they will last a lot longer. It helps tremendously to prevent freezer burn. Most of the time freezer burn results from the defrost cycle of the fridge. Notice during that cycle how the interior of the freezer is a little warmer and seems to thaw a little or become more "liquid" as I call it. The same thing is happening to the exterior of the food.

I use a pressure canner for beans, peas and squash.

Leafy, I doubt I could have free range chickens right now. I have two labs that live in the back yard. We had Rhode Island Reds and some sort of chickens that were rather large and had all white feathers.

rumrunner, in these here parts it is the all holy Mason jar; good for canning and being used for the likes of sipping sweet iced tea and storing moonshine....so the southern lore goes about moonshine.

About the only thing I don't can is corn and red and green bell peppers. I blanch and freeze it. Red and green bell peppers just slice, toss together in a little salt and put in freezer. Near the end of the mater season when there is not enough to can just core, peel, toss a little salt in with them and freeze. I have a chest deep freezer. All items to be frozen are put in freezer containers and then wrapped in freezer paper or butcher paper. For those who only have a refrigerator freezer if you wrap your frozen foods like this they will last a lot longer. It helps tremendously to prevent freezer burn. Most of the time freezer burn results from the defrost cycle of the fridge. Notice during that cycle how the interior of the freezer is a little warmer and seems to thaw a little or become more "liquid" as I call it. The same thing is happening to the exterior of the food.

I use a pressure canner for beans, peas and squash.

I use the pressure canner too. it is great for stuff that you would normally have to worry about. I always follow the instructions to a T including sanitization instructions. I make soups and salsas and applesauce too.

I use both Ball and Mason supplies

and Peppers are great because you can just throw them in bags in the freezer and pull out as you need them. For beans I use the blanch method Waysider mentioned.

I have found that those vacum packaging machines work really well at keeping freezer burn to a minimum.

So I do both but send lots of canned stuffs home with both daughters and friends.

BTW yeah dogs and chickens do not mix. and bird dogs especially would have difficulty. Also any Dog with Dingo blood is out they have a one track hunt and kill mode and can bring down a bird in mid flight Chickens are easy prey for them.

Edited by leafytwiglet

I was wondering if those vacuum pack amchines are a good idea. We can and freeze what we can.

We can't have chickens in the city limits, but one of my neighbors has a pygmy goat smaller than many dogs. I'm not sure if its allowed or that no one has bothered to call the city! It sure is cute.

Kim dear - the holy Mason Jar contains - ummm never mind - but it ain't iced tea - sun tea is done in gallon jugs

Edited by RumRunner

I hate to sound amorphous to you gc but with garlic it really depends on the average climate where you live as well as soil type and drainage. Garlic tends to like a fairly wide range of soils, however too sandy or too much clay or hard packed earth is not going to give good results. They prefer moderate watering on a daily basis but in soil with good drainage - too little drainage and the bulbs will rot under ground...this applies to pretty much all edible plants whose "fruit" grows underground. In CA where I live there is a type of snail or slug that like hanging onto the cloves...oddly enough they don't eat the garlic - but kids get the yukkies if they see them hanging off a freshly pulled garlic plant. Garlics, essentially being bulbs, can be planted at your last frost. I usually sprout them in the kitchen until the first bit of leaf growth shows and then plant them - takes about 2-3 weeks in the kitchen.

Hope that helps.

Rum, Thanks for the info. I think my soil/drainage is good. I've got them in a couple of places and both spots have clay soil mixed with top soil, bark and a multi purpose. I think the watering is fine since I'm in rainy England. "Gardener's World", one of the gardening experts here, said to plant the garlic toes in December, which I did. Southern Devon, where I live, is much milder than much of the UK since we are on the south west coast. I think I'll go ahead and plant out those six garlic plants I had in the house.

Thanks again.

Kimberly, the large all white chickens were probably leghorns. They had a boatload of them at Rome City. Dumbest animals God ever allowed on earth. Dirty too. They poo on their eggs in their own nests.

It's finally spring here, sort of, and we have all kinds of flowers in bloom, and lovely little flats that Mr. Garden is starting lettuce and such in. He has them out of the front porch and hopefully the wind, which is almost as bad as Kansas, will leave them alone. We also have spinach started - Yum!

WG

The large all white chickens could be Rock X's too They were bread for the roasting oven rather than laying.. but I agree about the leghorns... they are not the prefered chicken for me.. I didn't have the poop issue as much as the silly thing would just freak at any little thing and run willy nilly all over the place.

The Rock X was a rooster he was quite calm but by four months old was getting quite large and by six months was just about too big to get a round. I gave him to a neighbor who had a large family so they could butcher and eat him and then they kept him.. he finaly died from a heart attack, I think... poor guy.. he was actually a nice rooster as far as that goes.

Foghorn Leghorn, my favorite!!! I say, I say...then after he had little Leghorn...That's my boy!

Holy smackeral, it has rained non-stop since the 26th. And I don't mean a sprinkling. From last Thursday until Monday it has been steady RAIN. It let up a little Tuesday. It has been non-stop since late Tuesday. I can not believe how much the lettuces have grown in a week. I need to clip them but the ground is too wet to walk in the garden. Today, I looked out of my kitchen window and they seemed to be doing a hula dance. The windy rain was swaying them back and forth. Yummy, good eats when lettuce has had plenty of rain.

The cabbage is growing nicely. Gonna try my hand at an old fashioned sauerkraut recipe...more yummies.....The snow peas...we shall see. They seemed to have stopped growing.

Thanks! :) I've always loved stone walls and they are all over the place in England. So, I tiered the top part of my husband's slopped back yard and built the stone wall. I'm very proud of it! I am going to tier part of his front garden next and build my second wall soon :)

Kimberly, I have no idea what that shrub is. A couple of years ago I helped someone clear out some raised beds, my payment was that I could take any of the plants I wanted. This shrub was part of the payment. It has branches of beautiful white flowers with yellow centers every spring.

gc

Leafy, not only keeping the raft close at hand but dodging tornadoes here in the southeast. Just last Friday night trees down, power poles snapped in - two across four lanes of traffic. Many folks shaken but safe, thank God. But I do have to say the lake is back up. Last year it was down 22 feet. Now it is only down 8 feet. And honey, everything is green, green, green.

Had some bare spots in the front yard so I planted grass seed a couple of weeks back. We have baby grass!!! Yeehaw!!

No chance, just yet, getting out in the vegetable garden. Too wet. The Romaine is looking kind of yellow. I know I put enough nitrogen in the soil. The hosta and ferns are thriving in the shade garden. It looks like they have grown a foot in the last week.

gc, my family is from Ireland. I have always been fascinated with the stone walls. It is so real and natural.

We live in the Rockies where the growing season is short. We plant our garlic in the fall and mulch it heavily. During early spring(which is pretty much winter weather here) we will water it during thaws, when the temps are in the forties. We get a really nice crop in late summer.

Moving here from the midwest, we heard all kinds of dire warnings about the difficulty of gardening here, but we have found it best it ignore most of that. We do have to start plants early in a home made greenhouse( mostly peppers, tomatoes and broccoli), and we mulch alot due to high winds and dry air, but we've been able to grow most things we love. We finally have asparagus established, and this year we are trying a big bed of quinoa. I'm also doing a three sisters hill, just for fun (corn, pole beans and squash planted in the same hill.)

We also have lots of tarps for those awful hail storms!

We've decided to take all the lawn out of our back yard and replace it with raised beds, fruit bushes(elderberry, chokecherry, gooseberry) and wild flowers. The lawn requires alot of water here, and all we do is mow it and look at it, the kids really don't play in the back yard now they can drive.The quinoa is supposed to look much like a wild flower patch so I'm excited about that.

Bramble, What is the deal with the three sisters hill? I've never heard of that before, and it sounds fun and interesting. How's it doing and do you have a picture of it? I'd like to grow corn here, but the wind is horrible. I thought of staking the stalks, not sure if that would work. I've done a similar thing with my back garden; replace the grass with raised beds. One of mine is a perinnial bed, it has fruit bushes and the hope of asparagus for next year. I've only done this to one side, the other has lawn and a border. My dog likes the grass, my husband's cat likes the clutter :) It would be nice to see how your back garden looks with the raised beds, fruit bushes and wild flowers, or is it still a work in progress?

gc

Bramble, What is the deal with the three sisters hill? I've never heard of that before, and it sounds fun and interesting. How's it doing and do you have a picture of it? I'd like to grow corn here, but the wind is horrible. I thought of staking the stalks, not sure if that would work. I've done a similar thing with my back garden; replace the grass with raised beds. One of mine is a perinnial bed, it has fruit bushes and the hope of asparagus for next year. I've only done this to one side, the other has lawn and a border. My dog likes the grass, my husband's cat likes the clutter :) It would be nice to see how your back garden looks with the raised beds, fruit bushes and wild flowers, or is it still a work in progress?

gc

Okay I started to write out instructions but decided to see what was already out there.

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

These are excellent instructions if you have a square garden.. Adjust accordingly.

Regarding the Wind we live in a very high wind area.. so what i do to ensure my Corn is polinated is plant them in a rectangle with the narrow side facing the wind and the plants stretching out behind.. I make at least 3 rows... with at least 4 plants to a row.

I hope that makes sense. The biggest issue with the wind is pollination Now sometimes in the first corn stalks at the front of the row I get 1/2 pollinated ears but all the rest are fully pollinated.

I did do the beans and corn together one year and they both did very well.

I do a bit of companion planting as everything is happier with a friend.

Some interesting combination's I have found.. Apple trees and zucchini LOVE each other.

This is also true of Bush beans and cucumbers. and another happy pair is basil and sweet peppers.

some plants that hate each other are black berries and raspberries.. If they are too close together they both fail to thrive.

Tomatoes and apricots also hate each other... Be sure your tomatoes are completely away from your apricots...

any fruit will be happier with mint near by

and I have heard that Loveage is a plant cheerleader... all your plants in your garden will be happier with a Lovage bush around.

I have been trying to get some for a while but have been unsuccessful so far.

My house is a wind break from the west wind so i think the corn will do all right, but I might have to stake it.

I thought about planting some Lovage. I hear it tastes like celery. I thought I might research more tea herbs since we all like herbal teas in the winter.

My house is a wind break from the west wind so i think the corn will do all right, but I might have to stake it.

I thought about planting some Lovage. I hear it tastes like celery. I thought I might research more tea herbs since we all like herbal teas in the winter.

I have never had to stake the corn.. i think because it grows up with the wind blowing it so it's roots and stalk compensate for the wind. Now tomato plants those I have to stake and use guide wires to keep them upright in the wind especiially when they are full of fruit.