GreaseSpot Cafe

Hi, all gardeners

kimberly

Watered Garden, we call those yellow and black spiders writing spiders. They make humongous kind of feathery webs. If they write your name in their web you will be dead the next day!!! That is the folk lore. Funny. I think that is the kind of spider Charlotte was.

I have been bitten by a wolf spider. My hand swelled, was quite painful and I was nauseous for several hours. They are quite the little boogers.

No, Leafy, I meant the big stripey one that looks suspiciously like a ... tiger !!!

Anyway, back to gardens...

Just to show you what a great gardener I am, how timely, how absolutely ready...

... I've only just planted my daffodils and a few tulips. They should have been in the ground in October, latest November. But the weather was wet, cold and generally abysmal. That's my excuse, anyway. Right now, everyone else's daffs are showing 2-4" of leaf.

On going to my shed to find the bulbs, what do you know but they have given up on waiting for me and started without me! There are nice little shoots appearing. So I've shoved them in - and some may produce flowers, a little late. They'll do better in the ground than they would in the shed, anyways. And they've certainly had their cold/chill period - well, actually, they're still having it but outdoors now; my fish pond has frozen over again this afternoon and the forecast is for very cold be very cold all this week.

No, Leafy, I meant the big stripey one that looks suspiciously like a ... tiger !!!

Anyway, back to gardens...

Just to show you what a great gardener I am, how timely, how absolutely ready...

... I've only just planted my daffodils and a few tulips. They should have been in the ground in October, latest November. But the weather was wet, cold and generally abysmal. That's my excuse, anyway. Right now, everyone else's daffs are showing 2-4" of leaf.

On going to my shed to find the bulbs, what do you know but they have given up on waiting for me and started without me! There are nice little shoots appearing. So I've shoved them in - and some may produce flowers, a little late. They'll do better in the ground than they would in the shed, anyways. And they've certainly had their cold/chill period - well, actually, they're still having it but outdoors now; my fish pond has frozen over again this afternoon and the forecast is for very cold be very cold all this week.

LOL Oh you mean the tigers at the San Francisco ZOO... They are beautiful aren't they.

One of my daffodils has a actual flower on it.

The rest are still days away from bursting into bloom.

Okay and not to make you all jealous or anything

But I planted my first vegetable bed yesterday afternoon.

of course with all cool weather crops but still. I am excited

I put in radishes, carrots, spinach, cabbage, lima beans, and a few onions.

I am going to try to do another box today(I have raised beds each 4 x 8 feet) 6 of them.

I want to get in some beets and turnips possibly the brussel sprouts. And some peas which are going in a bit late...They should have been in a couple of weeks ago but then timing has not always been my strong suit

I am going to mark time to harvest on the calendar this year and see if it helps keep me on track for picking... and I am also going to try to do more spaced out plantings to see if I can get a more consistent harvest instead of everything all at once.

I am also going to try to grow my own tomatoes this year instead of buying the plants so some time end of next week I will be starting both my pepper and tomato plants.

This way if they fail I can still buy the kind at the store if need be.

Where is it you live, Leafy? Must be warm; those are summer things, not very early spring things.

What do you plant in the summer?

Where is it you live, Leafy? Must be warm; those are summer things, not very early spring things.

What do you plant in the summer?

California

and if I plant those in the summer they go to seed right away.

although the lima beans may be a bit on the early side.

Those are all plants I usually plant in early spring

summer is tomatoes, peppers, squash, egg plant (Japanese), corn,pumpkins, bush beans(we get too much fog to plant pole beans they get diseased if I plant them but the bush beans are champs in my area)

I still need to get in beets, and lettuce too.

I will probably not put in corn this year as we never ever get it eaten and picked in time

well actually I am good with it but hubby is too picky about it and no matter how fresh it is complains so he can have crappy store corn as far as I am concerned.

I am on line looking over the vegetables right now trying to see if I want to try any new stuff.

I just put in some left over seeds from last year

so if I order today I will have the new seeds for the next planting.

For the record I am three weeks early planting but the winter has been extremely mild so I am pretty sure it is safe to plant. Usually it is still frosting heavily at this date but this year will be a n extremely long growing season. Starting now and going thru October and maybe into November.

Due to my switch to vegetarian I could use the early crops too.

(looks on enviously, as she puts on another sweater and looks at the snow gently settling on the ice on the fish pond)

Fans California Heat twinky's way..

But you get lots of pretty bulbs in the spring.. I get daffodils. and Narcissus and that is it.. Okay I could get gladiolas if the gophers didn't eat them.

But no Tulips no Hyacinths

and no real lilacs(yes I know these are a bush and not a bulb). I miss these.

The daffs are blooming here, also. The temps have mostly been in the 50's and 60's. Then wouldn't you know it...boom...29 degrees tonight. It is suppose to be back in the 60's by Saturday.

But, hallelujah, we have been getting much needed rain. I won't complain about not getting the early peas in the ground as it has been is too wet to work. It is almost coming up on the time to plant spring cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprouts. If the ground is too wet to plant, so be it. We will take the rain. Rain on us.

Leafy, when you mention gophers I think of Bill Murray in the movie Caddyshack. Have you tried any of his methods?!?!

Happy gardening!!

It was 65 degrees today. I got out in the yard and started digging the trench for the wiring to the fountain I intend to put in. For this project I am intend to learn as much as I can about concrete forms and pouring concrete. Making the fountain myself. I know what I want but refuse to pay the price for a store bought one. I can do this. How hard can this be? That is what I keep telling myself, anyway. That is what I keep telling myself...telling myself.... I am going to mix color in the concrete and place decorative glass pieces in it. I made stepping stones (formed in pizza boxes) and bricks (formed from cut down shoe boxes) so I figure I can do this. Instead of buying rebar I think I could use wire coat hangers for the fountain. The local dry cleaners has the heavy duty hangers and they will sell them to me for 3 cents apiece. Will take them some veggies from the garden this summer for their kindness.

Got the soil ready for the early peas. I want it to rain one more time on the fertilizer and compost before I plant the peas. If it doesn't rain in a few days I will plant the peas and water myself.

I have decided to buy large barrels and place under my roof over hang to capture rain water.

Happy gardening, everyone xoxoxo

A couple of weeks back my first flower bloomed. Its a purple anemone. I wanted to post a picture because its sooooo pretty, but for some reason I can't get the attachment feature to work. Anyway, yesterday my husband and I put one section of my raised beds together, I'm going to have three, all for vegetables! I can't wait until they are all done. :dance: I've begun sowing seeds; so far I've got yellow onions, leeks, Brussels sprouts, sweet peas; annual and perennial, gazania, trailing lobelia and alpine strawberries. I have a few more Feb. seeds to sow yet.

Leafy, I've got daffodils blooming too, one pot of them. You see, there was this one small pot of them sitting on a table outside. The temp dropped here, the wind picked up and then it snowed. The wind made a couple of the leaves droop, I felt so bad for it that I brought it inside. I planned on putting it back out once the snow stopped, how little I know! the next morning I had two blooms! Now there are 7 beautiful daffodils smiling up at me!

When I lived in New Orleans I grew sweet white corn in my back yard! People would stop to ask me about it. Its tougher and different to garden here, but I'm learning. It's kind of exciting too. I do miss my creole tomatoes though.

Kimberly, will you post some pictures of your fountain when your done? It sound wonderful! AND I've finally transplanted the fuschia! Once I got it into the back garden, I hate not having a side yard, I made three plants. One standard, one very large bush and one that I put into the back hedge since it has no root system. I've taken hard wood cuttings from a fuschia before with good results, but this thing is BIG! I'll post a picture of the two when I figure out why I can't get the attachment feature to work.

Twiggy, any snow where you are?

gc

Snip

results, but this thing is BIG! I'll post a picture of the two when I figure out why I can't get the attachment feature to work.

gc

TO post pictures they need to be online

DO you have a photobucket account(They are free)

http://photobucket.com/

THen you upload the picture and there is a link at the bottom of the picture you select (Use the image one)

and copy it and then insert it here using the photo insert function

like this

118_1805.jpg

Edited by leafytwiglet

Leafy, Usually I upload from my computer, but I've got a picasa site, I might try that. thanks.

waysider, your picture of the anemones will put mine to shame.

gc

Really ... That is a first for me all the other sites I go to you have to have the picture on line to link it in a thread.

Hmmm I may need to go play in test just to see what can and can not be done.

Leafy, There are two ways to insert a picture into your post. There is the "insert image" button on the tool bar for inserting pictures from the web and then to use photos from your computer, look below the typing screen on the right hand side where it says "browse" and next to it "upload". Just like you would use for attaching anything from your computer in an e-mail, or uploading to picasa or photobucket. That's what I can't get to work. The other pictures I've uploaded on this thread were straight from my computer. If you get it to work, let me know.

gc

As of yet, I do not own a digital camera. Yes, I am behind the times. I have my first cell phone for all of 2 months now. I do intend to purchase a digital camera in the next couple of weeks. My baby sister told me what and what not to purchase. I will most definitely need someone to come over and teach me how to post pictures. I am so pathetic when it comes to computers and technology. But I am determined.

I will post the pics....the corn may be come and gone...but I will post them.

Still can't get anything in the ground...too wet. Not complaining, though, heck no.

As of yet, I do not own a digital camera. Yes, I am behind the times. I have my first cell phone for all of 2 months now. I do intend to purchase a digital camera in the next couple of weeks. My baby sister told me what and what not to purchase. I will most definitely need someone to come over and teach me how to post pictures. I am so pathetic when it comes to computers and technology. But I am determined.

I will post the pics....the corn may be come and gone...but I will post them.

Still can't get anything in the ground...too wet. Not complaining, though, heck no.

Ahewrm aherm Cell phone Pictures

Also any picture you take on your camera when you take your film to get developed you can request a photo disk.

You will love the digital camera thou

they are awesome and at every target and other places maybe Wally mart they have a station to get prints or make post cards and generally have fun with your pictures not to mention the possibilities of the computer.