GreaseSpot Cafe

Improper labor practices (Sound familiar?)

waysider

"Students told investigators earlier this year that their classes were a sham, they lived in substandard conditions and Miller forced them to work at the college or his home for little pay, according to court documents. If they refused to work, the students said, Miller threatened to deport them."

"A criminal complaint filed earlier this year states Miller forced students to work at the college and his home sometimes for more than 40 hours a week and for as little as $25 per week."

Read more HERE.

"Miller’s climb through the preaching ranks started in 1970..."

Hmmm......1970.

Now, why does that "climb the preaching ranks" sound SO FAMILIAR???

Around 1970.....preaching, exploitation, servitude, working at a substandard "college."

Yep.....this Miller...er, wierwille was one of a kind. NOT.

Gawd, these guys are popping up all over the place.

Susan Miller said in the affidavit that her "world began slowly crumbling" when the wives of two Bible college students accused Wayne Miller of making sexual advances toward their husbands. Then, in the late 1980s, a Florence television station broadcast a five-part news report in which students with blurred faces and disguised voices recounted inappropriate advances they said Miller made toward them, the affidavit states.

Switch the words "wives" and "husbands" around and you have the usual too-familiar situation. So this particular leader has a slightly different taste (yeuk).

A criminal complaint filed earlier this year states Miller forced students to work at the college and his home sometimes for more than 40 hours a week and for as little as $25 per week.

So much! Wow, I got $30 per month!

...substandard accommodation...

Not zackly substandard, just overcrowded. Founders Hall was a nice newish building, But four people in a room that was really built for two at the most. And the in-rez Corps didn't need to be pushed together so much, it wasn't like there was a vast number of victims at the time I was there.

Prosecutors say Miller included false statements on documents – known as F-1 forms – that are submitted to the federal government and include information about a foreign student's eligibility to study here. Miller stated that the students would not work more than 20 hours a week when he knew their work hours would exceed that maximum and he stated that students would receive educational instruction when, in fact, they did not.

Miller also pleaded guilty to a pair of misdemeanor charges of willful failure to pay minimum wage, which carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison for each charge.

Now this is interesting to me - as an international "student" I had, obviously, to complete some application or other for a visa, and so did TWI, and ultimately I got ... was it an H visa? that permitted study (only) but no work, as far as I can recall. That's a joke, ennit, since that's mostly what we did - work. But TWI would call that "training" while we worked dishroom, mowed the grass, chopped wood, and did all the zillion other routine tasks that were required ... not to mention all the set-up/take-down for RoA and other Big Events. Fraud, yeah...on internationals - but on US citizens as well.

Sorry for the internationals in the article Waysider linked. I'm glad the hypocritical bully is getting his come-uppance.