GreaseSpot Cafe

18 Years Ago Today

Pirate1974

I was in the hospital - watching my first child being born.

Actually, I was supposed to be "assisting" but my assistance amounted to little more than having my hand crushed to a pulp and accepting all the blame for the situation. My wife did all the hard work, of course. They don't call it labor for nothing. 20 hours worth.

Now that little baby I held for the first time that morning is driving and going to the prom on Saturday and trying to decide where he wants to go to college.

It doesn't seem possible that was 18 years ago.

Time does fly, doesn't it?

I remember my Daddy said he knew he had arrived when he found out that I had actually taken his advice on a situation I had called him about. :who_me:

I imagine it must be pretty dang exciting for a parent to see their child reach yet another rite of passage into adulthood.

Now that little baby I held for the first time that morning is driving and going to the prom on Saturday and trying to decide where he wants to go to college.

It doesn't seem possible that was 18 years ago.

Someone asked me how long I've lived here in Minney-soda the other day.

When I thought about it -- the answer (to me) was very sobering. 28 years.

Seems just like yesterday that I loaded up that U-haul truck in Indiana, and headed North.

Pirate,

I lived in GSO for 4 years and now Wilmington for 5......

All I can say is..................THE BEACH BEATS THE FOOTHILLS ANYDAY

Actually, both towns are great, but UNCW has more of the "college town" feeling, and the academics really kick butt.

If you decide to visit us here on the Azalea coast, give us a call beforehand, Justloafing and I would be glad to show you around,

ror

Just now got it...Pirate....ECU....

I assume anyway!

You assume correctly. ECU, Class of '74.

Thanks for the offer, Radar. We were down at Ocean Isle Beach last summer and we took a look at UNC by the Sea. I'm not sure what the kid thought, but I liked the place.

He compares everything to the Duke campus, where he's gone to basketball camp the last few years. Hard for any place to compete with all those stone buildings at Duke.

1988-89

I was on the WOW field in Belfountain Ohio. It was a horrible year. My WOW sister who was Corps. got into a terrible car accident. She broke her neck and was in rehab in Minn. at the Mayo Clinic. One day I will sit down and tell the whole story.

By May she was back in Ohio with me and finishing up the year. I had to be the Coord. this time because she wasn't totally back to herself. We made it to the Rock, got pinned, went back to Belfountain and prepared to go into the Corps. She had to take a year off then graduated with the 19th Corps.

Feels like yesterday :(

XOXO

Frances

Edited by Sunnyfla