GreaseSpot Cafe

Barry Bonds

Pirate1974

Carlos Oliveras is a 25-year old airman in the U.S. Air Force, stationed at McGuire Air Force Base in Fort Dix, NJ. Yesterday, he went to a baseball game in Philadelphia between the Phillies and the San Francisco Giants to see if he could witness history being made.

And he did.

Barry "I never knowingly took steroids" Bonds hit the 713th home run of his career and Airman Oliveras came up with the ball.

After the game, Oliveras had his picture taken with Bonds and asked him to sign the ball. Barry being the all around nice guy that he always is, refused. I guess I can see his side. Why do something for free that you can do and get paid for it?

However, Barry did ask Oliveras to sign something for him - a release so that he could appear on Barry's lamer-than-lame "reality" show "Bonds on Bonds." Reality is, of course, very subjective in this case and is basically whatever Barry says it is.

If I had been Carlos Oliveras, I think I would have had to tell Mr. Bonds to stuff his release up his steroid-enhanced a$$.

Barry has stated that he's only concerned with beating Babe Ruth's record, 'so we don't need to talk about him anymore'.

Barry can't hold the Babes batting glove(which Babe probably never wore, nor a helmet). Barry's natural abilities were amazing, and if he had just kept off the juice, would have a had a great career-just minus a hundred homers or so.

That he is such a pompous *^%$^*$ only adds to the reality, that noone is going to care when he passes 714.

For me, it just magnifies the legend of Babe Ruth, who hit his home runs on a diet of hot dogs and beer, and spent the first part of his career as one of the best pitchers in the game. No telling how many home runs he would have had during those years-which were also the 'dead ball' era.

Besides juiced Barry, there were also the 'juiced ball' years.

In the game where he got 713, Phillies fans had a huge banner across the front row in the outfield when he came out. "Ruth did it on beer, Aaron did it with class" They showed it on TV with Bonds trotting out there and standing in front of it. Not signing the ball ... what an arse ... so much for fan appreciation.

Edited by rhino

In a perfect world, no it shouldn't count. Neither should Mark McGuire's and Sammy Sosa's. It's probably impossible to ferret out the legitimate from the juiced for a surety.

It will always be tainted in people's minds though, and there will be little celebrating when Bonds passes Hank Aaron, a true baseball great.

When and if Barry Bonds breaks the home run record. They should put a noticable asterisk next to his name in the record books with an explanation of his usage of steroids. And this is from someone who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I was wondering when we'd hear from someone in the Bay Area...

ya know Mark... I enjoyed the games I went to at PacBell (or whatever they call it now) than the ones I saw at The Stick... well... enjoyed isn't the right word... it was a heck of a more enjoyable experience "climate-wise"...! We didn't need the blankets!