GreaseSpot Cafe

The Official GSC Hurricane Pool

markomalley

Early-Season Hurricane Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How many named storms this season?

• less than 4
    • more than 21
  2. 2. When will the first hurricane hit the US?

• none will hit the US
    • June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  3. 3. Which region of the US will be worst hit this year?

• Virginia and north
    • North Carolina
    • South Carolina
    • Georgia (Atlantic Coast)
    • Florida (Atlantic)
    • Florida Keys
    • Florida Gulf Coast
    • Florida Panhandle
    • Alabama Gulf Coast
    • Mississippi Gulf Coast
    • Louisiana Gulf Coast
    • Texas (Houston area)
    • Texas (Corpus Christi and South)
  4. 4. How many Cat 4+ storms hit the US?

• None
    • more than 5
  5. 5. How high will gas go if the refineries are hit again?

• no change
    • up 1-25 cents
    • up 26-50 cents
    • up 51-75 cents
    • up 76 cents to a dollar
    • up more than a dollar

It may seem morbid, but we do pools on everything else. How about a pool for the upcoming cone season?

If you want to record your votes for the end of the season, feel free to let us know your guesses.

Let's see how well we guess for the end of the season!

I agree, Topsy. I saw recent footage of areas of Louisiana that still look almost like they did right after Katrina. So sad.

I'm hoping these puppies veer out into the ocean this year. The people whose homes, and life as they knew it, have been wiped out could really use a break.

A slight clarification could be in order: By your fourth question, do you mean Category 4+ AT LANDFALL, or any time during its route? I really doubt that anything will hit land with that much force. Rita, for instance was "the worst storm ever in the Gulf" but was only Category 3 at landfall.

George

A slight clarification could be in order: By your fourth question, do you mean Category 4+ AT LANDFALL, or any time during its route? I really doubt that anything will hit land with that much force. Rita, for instance was "the worst storm ever in the Gulf" but was only Category 3 at landfall.

George

This poll is subjective, not scientific. I would say that the respondent should define it in his or her own mind when answering.

When they tally storms for the entire basin, they go by maximum strength when saying there were (or are expected to be) x number of major hurricanes, named storms, etc. But in this case, it seems to me the question refers to the strength of the storm when it hits.

Cyclonic storms like these are a part of the way the planet works to redistribute heat and cycle water.

They are part of the reason the planet is habitable!

I may be dating myself, but maybe it's time we started waving our hands and chanting "bad rice, bad rice" to keep the monsters from slamming into our shores.

Linda Z

you said

I agree, Topsy. I saw recent footage of areas of Louisiana that still look almost like they did right after Katrina. So sad.

I'm hoping these puppies veer out into the ocean this year. The people whose homes, and life as they knew it, have been wiped out could really use a break

Regarding feeling sad about NOLA, I don't. I lived there for 2 years and grew to see why it was so poverty striken and backward. Generations of families (or should I say "broken families") have been taught to suck off the paps of the mother government. The 9th ward was worse than Harlem portrayed in the 60's on that show with Telly Savalis.

I've known a number of really sweet people there, and I really liked some that I met. It was incredible back in the 80's how a traffic jam on the river bridge would spur people getting out their cars and have a party while they waited for traffic cops to direct the lanes to move.

However, NOLA (imho) would never rebuild to where it was. Half the population wouldn't pick up a board to nail it to the floor. That's the part of NOLA that will especially never rebuild. And if it did, it would be from outsiders who bought the story that those poor "saints" need our help.

If they did want to rebuild. They should make every truck in America bring in a load of dirt and rock to raise the flood prone areas, first.

Take the top half of Mt. McKinley and ship it to NOLA or leave it be.

Anyway, that's my take on NOLA. It would be ironically sad if another hurricane hit it this year. Then, maybe the NO Saints would become the San Antonio Saints. (doubt that)

YIDGTC: Let me try to understand. Because there's a high level of poverty in New Orleans, we shouldn't feel bad for the thousands of people whose homes have been flattened? Because, after all, they're all lazy down there anyway?

It seems like you're saying everyone who's been unable to rebuild is a welfare-sucking lazy person. That's odd, because I have friends down there who have never seen a penny of welfare money, since the husband is a doctor and a med school professor. It took about 9 months for them to get a roof on their house. And, sadly, the two hospitals where he practiced and the university where he taught...still nonfunctional last I knew, which wasn't long ago.

While I agree that living on welfare generation after generation creates learned helplessness, to dismiss the entire aftermath of the hurricanes in New Orleans as just desserts for the whole area just doesn't seem fair.

Krys: I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you mean it's just superstitious to pray for a less devastating hurricane season this year? I'm not naive enough to think that our prayers will send every hurricane out to sea, but it would be nice if the cities and towns on the Gulf Coast didn't get slammed so hard two years in a row. I get that these storms serve a purpose, but can't they serve it somewhere else this year? :)

I'm sorry Linda. It was really a tongue in cheek comment and what you're seeing is my wry sense of humor. I guess it was a very bad attenpt at it though.

To my knowledge, there's no way to control these storms, but a mind picture of people along the coast waving it off shore is, in my mind, comedic.

Just to warn you Floridians - I think we're coming to St. Pete for July 4th. I feel it's only fair to warn you, as we were there for Bonnie, Charlie and was it Dennis two years ago? Last year we were stuck a few extra days during one whose name escapes me right now.

Seriously, I'm absolutely praying for no named hurricanes hitting land at all this year. I lived in FL for 10 years and it wasn't til we were moving away that it got so scary so often! I believe it can be calm for several years...