GreaseSpot Cafe

The Challenging Counterfeit

Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me

7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

15All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colossians 2:8  Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

There is nothing wrong with the rudimentary elements of the world; God saw everything that he had made, and it was very good. We are just supposed to be aware that vain people can deceive us through traditions and philosophies patterned or styled after those elements that are not according to Christ.

As I said, "I think that "Christianity," for the most part, has lost the natural realm to the Adversary by default."

If one can determine the vocabulary, he will win the argument. Christians dub the natural realm, that God says is very good, evil; the Adversary is free to define the realm, developing doctrines of devils about the realm through which his forces gain entre to the minds, & so the lives, of people. THAT definition becomes the cultural referent from which books on ESP, movies about Dracula, etc. derive material that influences people. And around and around she goes. Nothing wrong with the elements themselves - well, actually their foundations ARE out of course. But they still have the fingerprint of the Creator on them - that is to say, they are freakin' awesome - and I intend to enjoy them as being from the hand of God, doctrines of devils notwithstanding.

Zoe, life in all its forms, is the promise.

Zoe,

Tom

Jeepers, but this is a strange thread.

Without having read it all in depth can I just add (a derail really) - was the real Challenging Counterfeit VPW? ( :unsure: ducking for cover).

Discuss (WordWolf?? :biglaugh: )

• 1 month later...

I read the book about 27 years ago. I think it was part stuff we were suppose read for AV 1979 ! This book was sale in our local store just 95c . The point I got was devil was not going to let him go. You can get in to occult, but getting out was not going be so easy. The Devil new he was going to Christ , and lose him . so he must be killed The author believed in the Trinity,that blood of Jesus would save him What got by attention this guy was also brought up Jewish , and looking for a higher power. The churches said now we don't want you but the spirtualist welcome him to their group . All you had to do was believe in their "power" In this regard TWI did this jewish Bear a favor saying yes we take your money. SIt vis playing with occult something to thankfull for :dance: I saw the SIt with mannies in 1978 and wanted in :love3:

Edited by andy Bear

I read the book about 27 years ago. I think it was part stuff we were suppose read for AV 1979 ! This book was sale in our local store just 95c . The point I got was devil was not going to let him go. You can get in to occult, but getting out was not going be so easy. The Devil new he was going to Christ , and lose him . so he must be killed The author believed in the Trinity,that blood of Jesus would save him What got by attention this guy was also brought up Jewish , and looking for a higher power. The churches said now we don't want you but the spirtualist welcome him to their group . All you had to do was believe in their "power" In this regard TWI did this jewish Bear a favor saying yes we take your money. SIt vis playing with occult something to thankfull for :dance: I saw the SIt with mannies in 1978 and wanted in :love3:

????????? and....what is a mannie?????? I gather you mean manifestation now that I think about it.....I can't follow..........maybe it's me............. :blink:

Jeepers, but this is a strange thread.

Without having read it all in depth can I just add (a derail really) - was the real Challenging Counterfeit VPW? ( :unsure: ducking for cover).

Discuss (WordWolf?? :biglaugh: )

Well, since I was asked....

I think that-just as there are many ways to counterfeit a dollar bill-

there are many counterfeits of spiritual realities,

each sounding, to some degree, internally-consistent,

and as great a number not bothering.

And, of course, even seeing something is no guarantee it's accurate,

nor a guarantee it was true.

I read a book by Dan Corem called "Powers" once.

As a Christian, he's familiar with stage-magic and so on, and suggests

that the stage-magic of the time of the Exodus was sufficient to accomplish

the things Pharaoh's magicians did (such as a hollow tube concealing a

serpent, making it look as if the staff became a snake-which was then

beaten by a miraculous snake from Moses.) Further, once the 10 Plagues

exceeded their abilities to fake, they stopped trying.

"This is the finger of God."

He made a compelling case.

That makes for a non-supernatural counterfeit. Others have mentioned that

a lot of what was cited in the Advanced classes as genuine devil-magic,

was later shown to be stage-magic dressed up as supernatural.

Those are more supernatural counterfeit.

Raphael Gasson claimed to have spent years exercising "supernatural"

powers that had nothing to do with misdirection, drained the life of the user,

and weakened his spiritual defenses against possession. He was completely

sincere, internally consistent, and -although he didn't realize it- consistent

within a framework he never designed nor saw.

When the Advanced class covered the supernatural, it treaded on firm ground

when addressing directly what the Bible said, and wandered out far into

speculation whenever it said otherwise.