GreaseSpot Cafe

childhood then and now

Abigail

Cindy it's pretty hard or impossible if one does not have a job that pays well enough!

I remember when I could rearrange the budget to accomodate something or other....but today, I do not have that freedom. There is nothing to rearrange unless I give up all fresh fruits and veggies. For a single person such as myself, there is very little savings there.

If one or another of my family members wasn't sharing s-o-m-e expenses I would be dead-meat!

Of course I see what you're saying.

There were times when our kids were small that we were squeezed tighter than others...but there was very little or no wiggle room in our budget until I was able to get into a suburban school where the salaries were better.

Where you live, how many in your household, what kinds of jobs are availabe...they are all variable.

"but in abi's case there is a two income household."

I appreciate what you are trying to say, but it really isn't that simple. Housing has become so expensive here that we would simply be trading one bad neighborhood for another. Reaaranging my budget still won't allow for me to pay over $1,000 a month in rent.

I only work part-time. I could work full-time, that is an option. But I don't see it as much of a trade off if it means I have to leave my kids in the care of strangers every day, leaving me with barely have enough time with them to see to it they are fed, bathed, and have their homework done.

I would prefer to spend my time with them then have them be raised by someone else.

I would prefer to try and gather people together who would be interested in lobbying to keep criminals off our streets. Even if I got out of the bad neighborhoods and into the good one - it does nothing to help all the other children who are at risk because our society seems to think it is more important to protect pedophiles than to protect children.

It's not even about neighborhoods. Although a better neighborhood might provide less drug/gang/poverty levels and better homes with better locks.

Children are stolen from the best as well as worst of neighborhoods.

Children that are abused also come from every income.

After perverts started taking children from the safety of their beds in the night, both from good and not so good neighborhoods, I gave up.

I knew then that my child is not safe anywhere.

There are those days where I also think safety is an illusion. And I'm not raising children.

Honestly, I don't know how my daughter does it...and my grandson is only a bit over 18 months old! When we were out carousing in the stores in January - my heart flipped a few times...but she is as steady as a rock!