GreaseSpot Cafe

Our Church's Version vs TWI's Version

I'm not that great at starting new threads. So here goes....

I've often wondered if others here are experiencing the same thing as me. When you go to church, (of course to those of you that go) what are the topics that are being taught?

How does if differ from that of the twi?

How does it make you feel?

Does Waybrain creep in at times?

It did for me a few weeks ago and I hate when that happens :asdf:

The subject was: " How to win Over Worry"

Right away Waybrain hit like a ton of bricks. :asdf: I thought," okay...., lets see what he has to say about Worry and Fear" TWI always put those 2 together. Well, to my surprise, he never mentioned the word FEAR :blink: Here's how it went:

First of all, he asked us to write down our greatest worry :blink: Waybrain again :asdf: I thought, "no freaking way am I going to write THAT down, because it just might happen because if the adversary sees it... blah,blah,blah.

The teaching was put in a totally different perspective.

Worry= trying to control the uncontrolable

Worry= a waste of energy of those things we cannot control

Worry= futile-it can't change the past or the future. Math 6:27

Worry= destuctive. Prov 17:22

Worry= contageous. Num 13:32

The Perscription for Worry= Phil 4:9, I Pet 5:7,

Worry= is assuming responsibility that God never entended us to have.

Matt 6:32-34 Jesus doesn't promise that nothing bad will happen, but he'll see us through the tough spots

Phil 4:6-8

Thank god and be greatful. Ps 4:8

Think about the right things. You control the filter of your mind

Focus on eternal things. 2 Cor 4:8, Phil 4:7, Is 4:6, Phil 4:19, Col 3:15, Lu 12:15

Then ask yourselves these 5 things:

1) Have I prayed about it?

2) Do I really believe what I say I believe?

3) Can I survive the worst with God's help?

4) How much is going to matter in 100 year from now?

5) Am I making the most of today?

Psalm 118: 24 :dance:

My point is that it's so refreshing to hear a different view than twi's view on the matters in the bible. They used scare tactics and cult tactics to get us to adhere thier way of thinking.

I'm still Relearning, but at least I can see though the clouds now :)

God first

Beloved Sunnyfla

God loves you my dear friend

I try going to church from time to time

I too have seem differ views on many subjects

I love to look at the heart that is put into a teaching and it sounds like the teaching you heard was done with great heart

Now I all so may the miss take at times of telling them I am a X-Way Ministry person than the questions come

Then I truthful about my beliefs

either trinity or tithing comes up and then week after week the teachings are base on proving me wrong so I leave

While my beliefs on trinity is a way thing but my beliefs on tithing are even against the Way thinking

I have changed so must over the years

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Matt 6:32-34 Jesus doesn't promise that nothing bad will happen, but he'll see us through the tough spots

Focus on eternal things. 2 Cor 4:8, Phil 4:7, Is 4:6, Phil 4:19, Col 3:15, Lu 12:15

Not too far different from what I experienced in twi.

I'd also add one other thing from twi: "let go and let God"

The teaching was put in a totally different perspective.

Worry= trying to control the uncontrolable

Worry= a waste of energy of those things we cannot control

Worry= futile-it can't change the past or the future. Math 6:27

Worry= destuctive. Prov 17:22

Worry= contageous. Num 13:32

Great post Sunnyfla !!! I was such a worry-wart in school my 5th grade teacher wrote a note home to my parents saying "your son worries too much." [like the Buddy Miller tune!] Thanks for sharing the stuff on overcoming worry...And I like your other thought - listening to a different perspective. That's why I come to Grease Spot Café and even enjoy reading different commentaries on the Bible.

Edited by T-Bone

I'm glad it was a help to you T-bone :)

I just liked hearing something more of the positive side of things.

I was in a bible study of 2 Corithians a few months ago, and I'm still chewing on it. It definitly shed some

new light on many things that Paul taught the Corithians and his heart. Things twi never touched on. Why?

Because they had their own agenda to attend to. Like trying to make us believe we were the only ones that

new the truth and smothered us in the same teachings over and over.. and over and skipped over what we

really needed to know about the walk of Christ.

Roy,

Thanks for your imput. Yes, the teachings are with great heart. No yelling and spitting :) Just a lot of love and compassion.

I too have told them where I came from. They don't try to disprove me. He just teaches the word and it's up

to me what to believe. So far it's been going well. I personally need to see the other aspect. The aspect we

were all taught was wrong. Although, I don't follow blindly either. Did that, been there.....

Oldiesman,

Yes, your right on that aspect you quoted me on. But, my point was that the Fear teaching didn't get in there

and the blame on us if something bad happens to us or a family member how it was our Worrying/Fear/

resulting in our Believing that caused it to happen. And of course from there the Tithe would creep in the

teaching or actually Abundant Sharing, and we basically need to give MORE so that we would be better

protected. In the study of Corithians, Paul never mentions that. It's giving from your heart that God sees.

That too was freeing to me, because I was still stuck on the 10% and above that. My husband thought I was

crazy :confused:

I didn't mean to get into the Tithe and the ABS thing, but that's what I remember being taught back in the

80's when something wasn't going quite our way, it had to be the amount you were giving that may be

causeing unwanted circumstances in your life. <_<

Hope to hear from more of you :love3:

• 1 month later...

Sunny

I did learn all the stuff you describe about Worry from TWI (except the 100 years bit, which I learned from my mom).

But as Oldiesman says and I think you too - TWI coupled it with Fear and got us focussed on a double dose of negativity.

TWI also discouraged us from looking at things realistically so that we could do positive things where possible to alleviate what might make us worry. They brushed over "What you can know by your five senses, God expects you to know" (hey that's a different thread) and in later years it seems everything came by revelation...