GreaseSpot Cafe

Pirates of the Caribbean

Raf

Fun. Too long, but loads of fun. It does drag, and you'll check your watch well before it "ends," so to speak. But I can't really complain.

Oh, the final frames knocked my socks off and made the wait worth it.

And if you're patient, wait until after the credits for a brief final sequence.

Taking the kids on Monday.We are excited for this one. Thanks for the tip, we'll make sure to have extra popcorn to pass the time,too.

Fun. Too long, but loads of fun. It does drag, and you'll check your watch well before it "ends," so to speak. But I can't really complain.

Oh, the final frames knocked my socks off and made the wait worth it.

And if you're patient, wait until after the credits for a brief final sequence.

Was Keith Richards in this one?

I heard he was supposed to be in either the second or third sequel of the movie.

I also heard NPR's review of it - they didn't like it at all, but I don't care. I don't go to a movie like this so I can do mental gymnastics for 2.5 hours - I go because I don't want to think - I want to be entertained! Can't wait to see this one - we loved the first one!

Good movie, enjoyed by all. The only drawback was the air conditioning went out. Yuck. We all smelled like pirates when we left!!!!!!

Raf,

I would have enjoyed both I and II if it was a straight swashbuckling pirate flick. But no, we have to battle the supernatural.. ghosts and dead people who aren't really dead. All that wasn't needed in the classic Hollywood swashbucklers. What kind of courage is needed to battle skeletons in the moonlight as opposed to flesh and blood human foes? It was hard for me to determine how much of a menace they considered Davy Jones and his ship. So how could I work up any kind of anticipation? But I'm banging my head against a wall, I guess, as that is what this series is all about. Just look at the last few moments of this movie... now what the heck was *THAT* all about? But they'll justify it with some mumbo jumbo in III and to tell you the truth.. it could have been great without it.

The Black Swan and Captain Blood it ain't. You KNEW those swashbucklers courage because they were facing foes we all COULD UNDERSTAND!!!!

sudo

I suppose there's no reason the story had to have a supernatural element. But it does, so there. Non-supernatural pirate movies have been done, and done well. And they've been done badly. I suppose the producers wanted to do something a bit different, so they went for it. When you think about it, the Indiana Jones movies all had big time supernatural elements, and it didn't hurt them much (although in the first two, they provided deus ex machina solutions to the predicaments. The third one integrated the supernatural plot much more elegantly than the first two.

Tom,

You and Raf are right.. its just Summer fun. I'd a just preferred a straight pirate movie is all. Did ya'll ever see Captain Blood? Ahhh.. there was a pirate movie. An un-holy alliance between pirates.. Captain Blood and whoever it was Basil Rathbone was playing. And the sword play?? MUCH better than what passed for fencing in POTC. Even as a kid I could tell Rathbone was the better fencer but..... Errol Flynn was the hero and won. And once a bad guy was killed... he stayed dead <_ .>

sudo

"they" said that originally they wanted Depp to play the Errol Flynn type pirate but let him use his 'creative abilities' to put a different light on it... (and I think he does well) ...I think that Orlando Bloom is the 'Errol Flynn' type now (and the women would probably agree)...

I beg to differ...Johnny Depp.Whoa!!!!!!

Our family enjoyed the movie :eusa_clap:

Yes, it was long, but hey.. I"ve been a fan of Depp. since Edward Scissor Hand and a new fan of Bloom since Lord of the Rings.

I have NO problem watching them for nearly 3 hours :redface2:

Ted and I just saw this movie yesterday. We thought that it was better than the first. Thanks for the tip about staying for the credits. We were the only ones in the theater that stayed. It was worth it. I loved the ending and can't wait for #3. Just can't decided which one is hotter: Orlando Bloom or Johnny Depp (but went home with Ted, of course :) ).

Edited by moony3424

Slow down.....the drool is emanating off of my screen..... :biglaugh: