GreaseSpot Cafe

Concert in Las Vegas this Sunday afternoon

GeorgeStGeorge

The "National Community Band," made up of community band members from around the country, will perform "Sousa on the Strip," a band concert in the style of John Philip Sousa, this Sunday afternoon (7/23) at 3:30 PM at the Judy Bayley Theater on the campus of UNLV.

I've been a member of the National Community Band ever since its inception 22 years ago. (I play baritone saxophone.) The band is organized in conjunction with the biennial National Band Association convention, though this year the actual convention was in Normal, IL, last month. :blink: Band members receive the music in May to work on individually, and then there is a series of intense rehearsals of the whole band right before the concert. (This year, we have a rehearsal Friday night, two on Saturday, and one on Sunday before the performance!)

The concert should be excellent. The selections look fun (lots of marches, of course, and other Sousa Pieces, but also overtures and solo pieces); and we have a lot of great musicians and a top-notch conductor. All we need is an audience. So, be there! It will be too hot to do anything else, anyway.

And, before I forget ... IT'S FREE!!!

George

The only time we have free is Saturday night. I'm also staying Sunday night due to the scarcity of good flights. Not ideal hummingbird watching time.

The NCB AND the convention were in Normal two years ago. Definitely a quiet town, especially when school's out. I was able to get some old friends from U of Illinois to come to that concert, though, so it wa a good time. (And I spent time in Chicago with my brothers and sisters, too.)

George