GreaseSpot Cafe

A Brush with Today's TWI

SFSailor

Standard proceedure to get clearance for a backyard barbeque?

Yesterday, I spontaneously threw some charcoal in the grill and called up a couple of buddies. We sat around, ate chicken and drank beer.

I simply cannot imagine the mindset involved with getting "clearance" to do something like that.

Who in their right frickin' mind would call a "branch/limb leader" to get permission to have a cookout with some friends? Lifestyle bondage anyone?...no thanks boy...no church with you. :evilshades:

Sadly, it's true, Groucho. :(

A lady in our fellowship had a pool party, invited their friends, some of whom just happened to be TWIts from various fellowships (she did not invite entire fellowships). There was no formality to the party, no teaching, no Bible at all - just a friggin' pool party.

M Harmon got all in a tizzy over it and that's when we found out that if more than 3 TWIts are planning to get together they need to get approval from the BC and, that it's extremely rude to NOT invite them. :huh:

Your spontanaiety would have gotten you into Big Trouble, Mister! :P Oh, and the alcohol??? No way, Jose!! That's not allowed at any TWIt function!! :rolleyes: Even if "said" function isn't a TWIt function but just happens to have TWIts involved. :confused:

Yepper that's right!

It had to do with "fellowshipping" - "sharing fully". We weren't supposed to be sharing fully with those from outside the household (but now I can't remember why). So if you couldn't get your neighborhood or work buddies to take the Class, you couldn't share fully with them.

Then, when we gave up our outside friends - we would do things together - maybe a couple of families or couples together. But then, paranoia set in, and if you were spending time with someone else and it wasn't twig time, people wanted to know why. When you said you were friends with so and so....you were told that we weren't supposed to have any preferences when it came to the household, so they started monitoring things like this.

There was one other family in our twig with children about the ages of ours, so if we got together there was usually nothing said....if was for the kids, ya know!

One thing at a time, and they got their greasy hands all over your life and there was no where to go until you realized how much they controlled you. But often the control was subtle enough that some people didn't realize they were being controlled!

Today, I can't imagine what I ever saw in them.....but don't we all!

Yesterday, I spontaneously threw some charcoal in the grill and called up a couple of buddies. We sat around, ate chicken and drank beer.

...I guess I missed that call... :(

(First weekend in November, see the Texas thread in the States forum)

Back in the day... IIRC... hanging out with folks was encouraged...