GreaseSpot Cafe

Etiquette Question

mstar1

Most of you know that my business requires me to almost constantly meet with clergy of different faiths. It used to seem pretty simple to be respectful but there are so many titles and different expectations in the various denominations these days that I am occasionally at a loss as who to call pastor, who to call rev, who to call father ...who to call ...whatever... and be respectful and right about it.

About 75% of them seem to diffuse it immediately (depending on the group) by saying "Please call me Ed" or something like that after the formalities, but there still can be awkward moments for me initially meeting someone when i am a little unsure how to address someone properly either in person or in writing.

Yesterday I had to meet a female Rabbi, and worried alittle overmuch trying to figure out how to introduce myself since I was had never met a female rabbi before. (FWIW she was great and came to me and said "Hi Im Donna", before I had the chance to stick my foot in my mouth.)

So, do any of you who are better mannered than me, know any rules or rules of thumb that may apply here

Thanks

"Yo! Baby!"

Seriously, i think that most clergy are sensitive to the awkwardness of "The Title" and they usually drop it almost immediatley.

I would do as previously suggested and introduce myself, then if you know the proper title - fine. If you don't, just be honest and say that you are unsure about the proper way to address them. If you really want to win brownie points - even if they just give their first or last name, just add an inquiry such as, 'Well, how would I address you if I had to introduce you to someone and I wanted to honor the commitment you've made."

Something like that is fairly diplomatic and it keeps the conversation moving while the other person gets to talk about his or herself. In the meantiime, you have paid them a compliment by referring to their decision to become clergy in the first place.

Good ideas--Thanks

what do you do?

Most of the times if Im unsure the Hi Im Mstar approach works, If Im stuck in the secretaries office and have to explain Im there to meet His Holy Dudeness, or writing aletter, when I may only have Joe Smith or some other name to go by, I just like to be a bit professional and polite and get the wording right until I know them alittle better.

Most denominations have a set of formal approaches that I am used to,(whether or not you refer to them as Rev, Father, Pastor, or something else...) that many times are dropped after the first few meetings, but still at times I feel compelled to give them the proper respect as a matter of professional courtesy.

As I said a very large percentage dont really seem to care about their title and are very down to earth, which is strange because those are the ones that I would most prefer to get right as a matter of respect.

The ones (generally speaking) that are a little too full of themselves are the ones that usually demand a title and the ones that I dont mind screwing up and may even do it intentionally from time to time just to .... em off. :spy::wink2:(not all of them by any means ) but for the others I was curious if there is some according to Hoyle rulebook that anyone is aware of...

Edited by mstar1

One of *my guys* (Clark -- the schizophrenic, with advanced Parkinson's) used to go to church all the time.

He isn't able to anymore. We asked (recently) if he would like the pastor to come to the house,

and read some verses, and give him communion.

We got a two thumbs up from Clark, which meant YES!!

So we called the church, and the Pastor (an interim one) said he'd be glad to come over.

His name is Dan, and I called him by that name when speaking with him,

but in introducing him to Clark, I added the word Pastor.

Good question Mstar -- I never thought to ask,

but he (Pastor Dan) was comfortable the whole time,

and didn't ask for *proper recognition* when it came to title.

Methinks they are the honest ones, the *real deal*. ;)

There's more to this story, but that's what pertains to this thread.