GreaseSpot Cafe

What a CASA is

medic's wife

OK....do a Google search on National CASA and you will find out EXACTLY what I am

I am a child advocate

I am a child abuser's worse nightmare (though they don't know it from the start)

I am 100% for the best interest of the child involved

Most judges spend a total of 2 minutes reviewing each "child case"

I am here to see that they do more....much more.....

See what you can do in your state, county, municipality....

These kids NEED US.....if we have time to be on a website.....we have TIME to donate to this

Please listen to me. This is a DIRE need.

Any questions....email me

Love to all

Dana

In New Zealand there has been a huge debate of late where a certain lobby group are trying to get 'smacking' of a child outlawed. The problem is 'smacking' and the law of 'reasonable force' can get very 'blurry' at times.

Sweden and some other countries had done this years ago and now have something like 30 pecent ? of children aged 3 years to 12 in social services 'protection' when the parents who dared smack their child ended up in court charged with assault on a minor.

I just hope you and your organization are NOT trying to go down this road.

We have a CASA program here too. My understanding is that CASA is not about a political agenda to remove parental rights. CASA is about insuring that the best interests of the child are served - to give the child a voice.

In this instance, the child would already be under court supervision, or at the very least, there would already be a protective services investigation taking place. A CASA representative gets to know the child and advocates for the child. This could mean advocating to remove parental rights or it could mean advocating to reinstate parental rights.

This might help you have a better understading of what CASA is, from HERE

What function do Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) volunteers serve?

CASA volunteers are trained to act as first-hand experts on the individual needs of abused and neglected children in foster care, giving them the best possible chance at a hopeful future.

As an appointed member of the court, a CASA volunteer assumes the following core responsibilities:

Serve as a fact-finder for the judge by thoroughly researching the background of the assigned case

Speak on behalf of the child in the courtroom, representing his or her best interests

Act as a "watchdog" for the child for the duration of the case, ensuring it is brought to a swift and appropriate conclusion

Judges typically assign CASA volunteers to the most difficult and complex cases involving physical or sexual abuse and neglect. Several other factors are also considered in making this decision:

The instability of the child's current placement

The presence of conflicting case information

Concerns about the implementation of special services, such as medical care, counseling and education assistance

Edited by Abigail

I know what CASA means to me: http://www.casaweb.org/

I used to be a member. I don't think that's what it means to you.

As to political advocates of any kind, they scare me. They give a small number of vocal individuals tremendous power. Their power is often used to shape political opinion and appeal to voters' emotions to further the advocates' agenda. I guess that's not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

Yes....they sound very similar to 'CYFS' in my country (chilren, youth, families service). As a couple of my friends found out...someone within the department gets a 'bee in their bonnet' about you, kiss your kids goodbye (for awhile anyway, til you jump through all their hoops and pay a lot of money for their 'family court lawyers'.) And thats what it really is unfortunately...another money spinner for the lawyers involved.

It's not political at all. It's volunteers who GIVE their time to get involved and observe and obtain information that will help the courts make an informed decision, which isn't always easy to do given the work loads on the court system and the child welfare service departments.

A co-worker was heavily involved as a child advocate. It's extremely rewarding and awesome for the children.

Good on ya, Medic's Wife! :knuddel: It's superb that someone as kind and gentle as you are in there helping out the next generation!