GreaseSpot Cafe

HELP ME OUT HERE ---

dmiller

This may get me slapped, but it won't be the first time...

When I first saw "VeganXTC" 's handle, I though, "Oh, jeeze... here we go... just another cult... this time it's about FOOD!" See, I've had a few encounters with some vegans who were rigid, nasty, rude, and some of the most judgemental people I'd ever met. Period. I honestly just avoided anyone pretty much, once I knew they were vegan - I'd rather talk with an Amway person, really - I always felt browbeaten after talking with some of them...

Notice I didn't say "all vegans" - I said "some vegans".

When this thread cropped up, I thought, "Well... guess we'll find out now..." I have found VeganXTC to be informative, friendly, funny - a pleasure to read. I don't feel that he/she (sorry I can't remember if you've referred to your gender) have been judgemental or rude at all - I think the posts have been very respectful. I applaud VeganXTC for helping some of us who didn't understand or just wanted to know more, to appreciate the diversity that we can get from this board...

But I can certainly understand where Allen is coming from - scheesch - some vegans acted like they had to "witness" their practices and gawd help you if you didn't embrace them immediately. Yeah, it was like an encounter with a cult member - no different than some of those rabid WOW's or Way Disciples or whatevers that some of us once were.

VeganXTC is not of on THAT trip, thankfully... :)

Good topic David, thanks for starting it.

I have one son who is vegan, and one who is vegetarian. (They each also have girlfriends who share their respective diet). I am a "meateater" myself, but I have come to admire their lifestyle immensely, and I have made some adjustments to my own diet upon hearing their stories and research. Neither of them are by any stretch of the imagination at all sickly looking, nor are their many friends. As a matter of fact, their incidences of illness, flu, dental cavities, intestinal tract issues, and eyesight deterioration have been demonstrably reduced since they started their diets some 4 or 5 years ago. I of course cannot scientific prove whether all of these are diet related or in part lifestyle related, but I am happy for the result, however they have come. Both they and their friends are vibrant, cheery, physically active, and very serious about what they do. The vegetarian's girlfriend has been cooking for herself since she was 10 because her family were meateaters and she did not like meat. She is the bubbliest, most lively gal you could ever want to know.

My vegan son and his girlfriend are traveling and working in Europe this year. Via the internet they have found "likeminded" people to stay with and work with in The Netherlands, Germany, France, and Italy. They are doing something called "WOOFing" World Opportunities in Organic Farming"

When my vegan son and his girlfriend have come to visit, they usually cook a fantastic meal for us (I buy, they fly and cook). Every meal they have prepared has been wholesome, tasty/ flavorful and filling to the stomach. I do notice the food prep time is often longer, and the grocery bill is often higher for the meal. This has much to do with their careful and watchful care as they cook, and their careful selection, when possible, of truely organic and preferably locally produced foods. (Locally grown stuff requires less fossil fuel usage for transportation, it also provides natural remedies against local diseases and bacterias.) It also takes longer for them to shop (at least in the unfamiliar stores) when they visit. This is because they read the labels to be sure of all the ingrediants hidden in many of our foods.

The meals might include peppers, pastas, peppers, tofu, beans, fresh spices, falafel, humus, of course tofu geeze, the list is endless! They generally spice things up for flavor with garlic, extra virgin olive oil, thyme, basil, curry. People I speak with do not understand tofu I think. Folks, it is generally NOT eaten plain out of the package. In fact, when they have used it, it takes on an incredible array of taste, and I have a hard time being sure that it is really tofu.

They are indeed serious about it, and make every effort to carry their disapproval for using animals for human consumption and clothing into every part of their life. HOWEVER- I have never had them make me feel uncomfortable with what is in my fridge or in my closet. Actually, I see their discussions as "teaching" rather than "preaching". Not unlike they way VeganXTC and others have shared with us here.

The vegans I know are sincere. The primary reason for their chosen diet seems to be concern for health, but they do also have a healthy disenchantment for the way many of our production animals are treated. I totally agree with VeganXTC that the lifestyle, consciousness and conscience of the vegans I know is one of compassion, love and appreciation for our surroundings, human, animal and natural features. Not a bad way to live at all IMNSHO

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

This is an informative thread that I am finding very interesting--

-

I am curious as to the process that you took VeganXTC to become a serious Vegan and how long the transitional phase lasted.

Was it an immediate change or did it come over a period of time?

Did you notice any physical/emotional/spiritual changes when you changed your diet?

How long have you been a practicing Vegan?

Thanks for all the info

I have one son who is vegan, and one who is vegetarian. (They each also have girlfriends who share their respective diet). I am a "meateater" myself, but I have come to admire their lifestyle immensely, and I have made some adjustments to my own diet upon hearing their stories and research. Neither of them are by any stretch of the imagination at all sickly looking, nor are their many friends.

Hap -- I hear ya. I had a radical change to my diet when I started working at the group home with two of *my guys* who have PRADAR WILLIE SYNDROME. Well it wasn't *radical* I guess, since I (as an old hippy), have always tried to *eat right*, but seeing life from THEIR perspective -- got me to thinking a mite more.

It's not so much WHAT they eat -- but the portions. Both Larry and Jeff were at 400 plus pounds, and each of them are 5'2" tall. Granted -- PWS is a genetic disease, and they both suffer from it, yet the guidlines they have to follow as concerns diet, benefit all (not just them)-- and they are now both at 135 pounds. Granted this is 15 years later, and with exercise included (walking 30 minutes a day -- 4 times a week)

So -- While I can *applaud* vegans for sticking by their guns,

I also applaud those who do a *sensible diet*

eating starch, vegetables, and protein -- regardless of what it may contain. :)

Edited by dmiller

I'm copying someone's style here. Maybe Wordwolf's? I hope its ok.

This may get me slapped, but it won't be the first time...

Not by me! That would be against the whole thought of reducing suffering! LOL!

When I first saw "VeganXTC" 's handle, I though, "Oh, jeeze... here we go... just another cult... this time it's about FOOD!" See, I've had a few encounters with some vegans who were rigid, nasty, rude, and some of the most judgemental people I'd ever met. Period. I honestly just avoided anyone pretty much, once I knew they were vegan - I'd rather talk with an Amway person, really - I always felt browbeaten after talking with some of them...

We call them"vegan nazis" or "the vegan police." They attack other vegans and vegetarians also. "OMG! DID YOU JUST EAT AN OLIVE? WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU? THAT MIGHT HAVE CONTAINED D-MENTHOLYIDE CLORINTH WHICH HAS AN EXTREMELY SMALL CHANCE OF COMING FROM AN ANIMAL SOURCE!"

Notice I didn't say "all vegans" - I said "some vegans".

When this thread cropped up, I thought, "Well... guess we'll find out now..." I have found VeganXTC to be informative, friendly, funny - a pleasure to read. I don't feel that he/she (sorry I can't remember if you've referred to your gender) have been judgemental or rude at all - I think the posts have been very respectful. I applaud VeganXTC for helping some of us who didn't understand or just wanted to know more, to appreciate the diversity that we can get from this board...

Wow, thanks. I am really amazed at the love and respect people show each other here. I would say something about TWI, but that would be a whole different thread. I'll just say I'm glad I'm out.

But I can certainly understand where Allen is coming from - scheesch - some vegans acted like they had to "witness" their practices and gawd help you if you didn't embrace them immediately. Yeah, it was like an encounter with a cult member - no different than some of those rabid WOW's or Way Disciples or whatevers that some of us once were.

I'm vegan and a WOW Vet. Can you imagine if I a vegan WOW? LOLOLOLOL!

VeganXTC is not of on THAT trip, thankfully... :)

Ugh! I thought I had more time, but if I write any more, I'll be late to work. Mstar I'll come back later to answer your questions.

I hope so, VeganXTC! It is very enlightening and I'm enjoying reading your answers as much as the diversity of questions. Some of those questions I never even thought of asking the vegans I know but when I read them I think, "Now that's interesting. I wonder what her answer will be...."

I have several friends who are vegans and they are beautiful, healthy and have the clearest skin I think I've ever seen. They just "glow". But, like you said, there are extremists among any group, and sadly they are usually the loudest thereby tainting the impression of everyone who subscribes to the same or similar beliefs which is a shame.

One vegan I worked with at a former job was obnoxious like that but when she started shopping for a new car she emphatically wanted leather seats. :o Some of the more "bold" guys in the office pointed out the utter hypocracy of what she had been preaching to us and she had to decide just how devoted to veganism she wanted to be. :huh:

That's just one, but the majority of the vegans I know (and I do know a good many vegans and vegetarians) are wonderful people whom you would never know were vegan unless you asked them. Even when they turn down meat or something cooked with their verboten ingredients, they just decline and don't go into why unless pressed. I tried going vegetarian a few years ago, but soy products do NOT agree with my body and it was way more work than I cared to put into my diet. I do eat organic as much as I can and can afford and I do buy local from the farmer's market, but I don't exclude anything from my diet - especially the occasional splurge at the local BBQ & Soul Food Restaurant and those days when ya just gotta have chocolate. :biglaugh:

p.s. Not sure if WordWolf started that method of answering posts but it is by far the most efficient and works great because you can see the statement/question and the reply without having to flip back and forth between posts, so thanks for doing that for us folks with poor memories! :)

Chas, I forgot! Coffee is vegan. There's a saying that everyone is vegan between meals. So, Welcome to the community, lol!

Mstar, I don't really have a wonderful story to tell. In February of 2004, I was looking to make guacamole, but I was tired of the same old recipe. So, I went searching online and was sent to GoVeg.com. After I wrote down the recipe, I noticed a small ad that said ( this link contains graphic images) "Chew On This." I clicked on it, and watched many reasons why I should go vegetarian. Some reasons made me laugh, some made me angry, some made me cry. But that very short movie was all it took. I haven't eaten meat, dairy or eggs since.

Really the only change I've noticed was that I'm not so tired. I use to come home from work so exhausted, that I had to take a nap before I could do anything. Now when I get off from work, I can run the vaccuum around, or go shopping, or protest KFC (lol!), or post on GreaseSpot.

I think its really cool that alot of you know people in real life who are veg*ns. I knew many vegetarians, but I was the first vegan I ever met. I didn't even know how to pronounce the word. But there's a huge and active online community, and I found out there are quite a few vegans in my area.

Hap, I hope your sons know how blessed they are. I hear so many stories from teens and young adults about how unsupportive their parents are. Its refreshing to hear from someone who is proud of their veg*n children.

I say it like Safari and David, (except I don't ennunciate the last vowel, so I really say V-gn, with a hard g as in go, and the accent is on the V) but there is no right or wrong way, like Safari says. So, be prepared to change your pronunciation depending on where you are.

I'm just loving this subject!

We've been experimenting with different ways of eating for many years now. Mostly due from the desire to enjoy better health.

Thinking back to how 'each way of eating' made me feel, the VERY BEST was ALL RAW VEGAN!

Now, when I get into something, it's usually all the way, so we purchased several books, the big 9 tray Dehydrator, two juicers, two sprouting jars and went to town. Every meal was made from a variety of Raw fruits, veggies, sprouted grains and seeds. It took some time to get the hang of it, and became less labor intensive as we became more familiar with all the growing and handling issues.

This I did for a full four months, and I NEVER felt better in my life! BUT... my family wasn't as interested, and they finally won. Preparing two types of meals was just more than I could handle.

In 2004, my husband had a very serious health scare/issue. We've spent close to 10K on different medical procedures and care. The ONLY thing that actually helped him was a two week WATER ONLY FAST in 5/2006!

Finally, the rest of our family is seeing the importance of DIET and it's direct relation to how healthy we are.

The juicers are going, the veggies & fruits & grains are being enjoyed... and we're feeling better than ever. The only time anyone gets a cold in our family is AFTER consuming junk food. I've documented it. As long as the consumption is kept wholesome and mostly raw, everything is better~ EVERYTHING~ behavior and health!

I say it like Safari and David, (except I don't ennunciate the last vowel, so I really say V-gn, with a hard g as in go, and the accent is on the V) but there is no right or wrong way, like Safari says. So, be prepared to change your pronunciation depending on where you are.

Yes, what VeganXTC said...

Say V followed by gn :confused:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: