GreaseSpot Cafe

I need help with a BBQ Smoker.

OnionEater

My wife went to a lawn sale and came home with a "New Braunfels" smoker but it didn't have any directions with it. This is a heavy duty smoker that is made with 1/8" plate steel not sheet metal. The smoke box measures 16" wide X 17" deep and is upright 36" high with 14 grate levels. The firebox is 16" wide X 20" long and 12" deep. It's weight is well over 200#. I couldn't find a picture of it on the net.

My problem is I have never used one of these and all the information I find on the net is to vague and conflicting.

I need step by step directions on how to use this beast. Can anyone give me directions on how to smoke a turkey with it?

A smoker takes a little patience to use propoerly. Hopefully your firebox is offsett to provide indirect heat. Here are your two "controls." The amount and type of fuel, there should be a vent which can be adjusted. I usually start a small fire with briquets because they last a while. What I mean by small is 5 or six pieces and no more. The problem with briquets is that they burn very hot. You want to smoke at around 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything more is baking not smoking. Hopefully your smokter has an external thermometer so you can monitor temp. You can adjust the temp by adjusting the opening of the vent.

Soak your wood ships in water, or apple juice if you like a slightly sweet flavr in your wood. I use a combo of large chunks, hickory or mesquite depending on what I am smoking (LOL) and I also use chips. All soaked extensively.

Rule of thumb is about an hour per poound when smoking. That means if you are smoking a large roast or so - you will be up early in the morning. Another rule of thumb is to keep the smoker shut as much as possible. Each time you open the main cooking area you add another 15 minutes to the smoke time.

So ... 1) prepr meeat the night before so save time in the morning. I usually soak my first batch of wood over night as well. Figure out the cooking time - get up and light the briquets. Once they are an even gray add some wood chunks and chips. Immediately insert food into smoking area - close door and go get a morning home brew. I check the firebox about once every 45 minutes or so to see if more fuel needs to be added. BE SPARING adding fuel. Keep your temps at around 250. Drink another homebrew and check periodically through the day (being careful to grab another home brew each time you come back from checking). By the time the food is done you wlil b moderately smashed on homebrew so you own't notice if your first attempt isn't what you expected. Enjoy.

You might call the Company, OE, and ask them for their information packet. I've done this with a few things without problems; worth a shot.

There is probably an 800 number on it if it's not too old to be worn off or at least the name and then the number can then be gotten from directory.

RumRunner - Thanks for the info. Do I have to start drinking again????

Shell - No info on the unit and I can't seem to find the company on the net, all I find is dealers.

LG - All I needed was the "Bandera" model, THANKS. Turns out there is a YAHOO discussion site just for that model. That picture is the one I have.

Edited by OnionEater

• 4 months later...

I ran across a site dedicated to the New Braunfels Bandera you may be interested in OnionEater.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/index.php

Some snipits are:

We are “The Brethren." The most enthusiastc bunch of BBQ addicts around.

Brisket Nirvana is not far away.

The Bandera 101 Document is The Brethren Bible.

Looks like a very good reference.

The files section even had some manuals in it.