GreaseSpot Cafe

Beth Moore

Watered Garden

The Ladies' Bible Study at our church is studying a class by a woman named Beth Moore on the life of Paul the Apostle. I wondered if any of you Spots had ever taken a class/seminar by this individual, and if so, what you thought of it/her.

She seems to have quite a bit of a women's "ministry." The other women think she is wonderful, but she kind of gets on my nerves for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

Thanks.

WG

Belle,

I think part of my problem with her is she throws around Greek like holy water! She actually said on the last one I attended (I don't go every Wed night, just when I can't get out of it) something along the lines of "Of course not many of you will understand this, but the Greek word is.....".

I thought "Well, exegeckomai to you, honey." It was very condescending and it reminded me of someone who used to arrogantly say, "Oh, you don't think I know the Bible?" when of course he thought he knew more Bible than God.

And of course some of her teaching is even weirder than TWI, at least to me. She did a session on the fruit of the spirit last night that was pretty good, even though I disagreed with part of it.

She has an annoying accent, too, but I won't go there. It probably wouldn't bother me if she didn't.

We did a Christmas program in choir at the other church called "Jesus the One and Only" that was just too cool. It was from a class she taught by the same name. This is only reason I started going in the first place.

The one upcoming a couple weeks on "gifts of the spirit" will probably make me giggle or gag or both.

If I attend....probably not.

WG

Beth Moore's Believing God, Experiencing a fresh EXPLOSION of faith was my experience with one of her seminars. It was my first post twi experience of sitting in a class setting studying biblical stuff. I enjoyed her presentation. It was once a week for 12 weeks.

A few weeks into the class I lost my babysitter and couldn't continue as it was on a school night. I bought the course material and haven't gotten around to sitting down and getting back to it. It's been almost 2 years - not too motivated, am I?

I remember thinking that with all the similarities of attending way classes, it was definitely different enough for me.

I appreciate the reminder. I've meant to get back to that, but had forgotten about it.

I guess I'm not really much help, but I did enjoy the classes I went to.

I do remember thinking the workbook was a bit lame and work intensive. It seemed like a lot of homework, but maybe just cause I was so busy with other things at the time.

Thanks, all. Bow, I'm not trying to trash the lady, just get some others' insights and opinions. I suspect at least some of my irritation is just personal. I did find a website where I could read an exerpt from "Jesus the One and Only" and it was really well written. The workbook on Paul is also a bit cumbersome and asks very personal questions, so I just leave those blank in case someone takes a peek. :nono5:

:) I have found myself breaking out into hives at the mention of a class or "seminar" with any kind of religious connotation. Especially if there seem to be lots of rules, written or unwritten about it.

The only one I tried shortly after leaving TWI was The Purpose Driven Life - 40 Days of Purpose home fellowship series that my church was having. The books and teachings are too performance based for my taste and I totallly disagree with some of the teachings. I dropped out shortly after it started and realized I was having mild panic attacks after each meeting.

I dunno.... :unsure: The articles seem to make her out to be pretty realistic, but this part caught my eye -

Instead a man walked up—a former football player—who threw open the Bible and practically wept as he taught it. Never before had I met someone who had such a passionate relationship with God through the Word.

I told God, "I don't know what this man has, but I want it." And God began to birth that passion and hunger for his Word in me. As I continue to study the Bible, it's literally become life for me.

I know she says it was at her church, but..... maybe it's those darn tics I have been able to get rid of since leaving TWI. :redface2:

Thanks for looking that up for us, WW.

I have taken 2 Beth Moore seminars and enjoyed them both. I'm not saying I agreed with everything but her humility is awesome.

As far as the greek thing goes, you might have to remember that the majority of "church-going" women who take these classes pretty much leave the research to the teacher, pastor, or sunday school teacher. She does the research but then there is homework every night (in the form of a workbook), and I saw miracles with these women because of the close personal relationship with Him that they developed over the seminar.

She doen't get it all right but then, who does? --Jesus--