GreaseSpot Cafe

Riddle me this....

Belle

Want to feel old?

How old is Grandpa???

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current

events.

The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at

Schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' television

' penicillin

' polio shots

' frozen foods

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There were no:

' credit cards

' laser beams or

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose

' air conditioners

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a

title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare

centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . but who could afford one?

Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,

' "coke" was a cold drink,

' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

' " chip" meant a piece of wood,

' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.

No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap...

and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

This man would be only 59 years old

Awwww, come on.... *grin* No grass, pot, sex, drugs & rock and roll??

Isn't this the generation that attended Woodstock?

Was warned about the brown acid?

Started the "Jesus Movement" and put Haight Asbury on the map?

Listened to Firesign Theater and raised Amazing Sea Monkeys?

Made the VW Van popular?

OK - which ones apply to you - I'ved edited the list for the ones (I think) apply to me - this ought to be fun

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There were no:

' credit cards

' laser beams or

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a

title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare

centers, and group therapy.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

Everything but the FM radios

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,

' "coke" was a cold drink,

' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

' " chip" meant a piece of wood,

' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

' "software" wasn't even a word.

Hmmmmm. I remember using *fountain pens* in grade school.

I also remember (in high school), at a football game -- both teams on their hands and knees --

searching for one little contact lense on the playing field that a player lost....

Since they were so new, innovative, and expensive --- at the time.

I also remember moving from the house Mom and Dad rented, to the one that Dad built,

(back in 1955), and them actually buying hamburgers from a *fast food joint*,

so we could eat, and get on with moving.

Buying pre-cooked food was a real novelty back then.

PS --- today I had to explain to a co-worker of mine what Burma-Shave signs were all about.

I made mention of them, and she had NO CLUE what I was talking about!!

I'm feeling old (or is archaic the more proper word?) -- right about now. :(

Edited by dmiller

Since I love trivia and since I knew some of these items were wrong (and since I obviously have too much time on my hands on a Saturday morning!), here are dates for some of these inventions, mostly taken from about.com. This list has to be a few years old, if "Grandpa" is only 59. :)

July 2, 1928: Charles F. Jenkins begins broadcasting the first regular telecasts designed to be received by the general public; July 12, 1928: First televised tennis match.

The first thing I remember ever seeing on television was professional wrestling, at my grandparents' house. it was about 1950. Their TV had a little round screen. I hated professional wrestling even then.

In 1943, the required clinical trials were performed and penicillin was shown to be the most effective antibacterial agent to date. Penicillin production was quickly scaled up and available in quantity to treat Allied soldiers wounded on D-Day.

Up until this time, soldiers died from infections in their wounds as much as from the wounds themselves.

In 1955 Jonas Salk became a medical hero for developing a vaccine that helped conquer polio.

I still remember all of us children lining up in the gym/cafeteria of our elementary school to get our polio shots!

The first quick-frozen vegetables, fruits, seafoods, and meat were sold to the public for the first time in 1930 in Springfield, Massachusetts, under the tradename Birds Eye Frosted Foods®.

God bless old Clarence. Fresh is best, but frozen beats the heck ouf of canned!

Xerox Corp. was founded in Rochester, NY, in 1906 but under a different name. It was named Xerox Corporation in 1961.

In 1936, William Feinbloom, a NY optometrist, fabricates the first American-made contact lenses and introduces the use of plastic. In 1945, the Amer. Optometric Assn. formally recognizes the growing contact lens field by specifying contact lens fitting as an integral part of the practice of optometry.

The Frisbie Baking Company (1871-1958) of Bridgeport, Connecticut, made pies that were sold to many New England colleges. Hungry college students soon discovered that the empty pie tins could be tossed and caught, providing endless hours of game and sport…. In 1948, a Los Angeles building inspector named Walter Frederick Morrison and his partner Warren Franscioni invented a plastic version of the Frisbie that could fly further and with better accuracy than a tin pie plate.

The birth control pill was introduced to the public in the early 1960s.

In the 1920s, a shopper's plate - a "buy now, pay later" system - was introduced in the USA. It could only be used in the shops which issued it. In 1950, Diners Club and American Express launched their charge cards in the USA, the first "plastic money".

I remember in the 1950s, my mom having a little metal "Charge-a-Plate" with her name and address embossed on it. It was good in all the major department stores downtown.

The invention of the laser, which stands for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, can be dated to 1958 with the publication of the scientific paper, Infrared and Optical Masers, by Arthur L. Schawlow, then a Bell Labs researcher, and Charles H. Townes, a consultant to Bell Labs.

The first man to actually develop and launch a ball-point pen was the Hungarian László Jozsef Bíró (1899-1985) from Budapest, who in 1938 invented a ball-point pen with a pressurized ink cartridge.

I do remember, though, when the first felt-tip pens came out. Remember the "Bic Banana," anyone?

In 1959, Glen Raven Mills of North Carolina introduced pantyhose -- underpants and stockings all in one garment.

They were invented by a man. Figures.

In 1902, only one year after Willis Haviland Carrier graduated from Cornell University with a Masters in Engineering, the first air (temperature and humidity) conditioning was in operation, making one Brooklyn printing plant owner very happy.

In 1886, Josephine Cochran proclaims in disgust "If nobody else is going to invent a dishwashing machine, I'll do it myself." And she did, Josephine Cochran invented the first practical (did the job) dishwasher. Josephine Cochran had expected the public to welcome the new invention, which she unveiled at the 1893, World's Fair, but only the hotels and large restaurants were buying her ideas. It was not until the 1950s that dishwashers caught on with the general public. Josephine Cochran's machine was a hand-operated mechanical dishwasher. She founded a company to manufacture these dishwashers, which eventually became KitchenAid.

Electrical clothes dryers appeared around 1915.

Surprised me, too, Linda. :) I'm going to have to ask my Daddy what he remembers since he IS 59. LOL!

I do remember hearing them talk about being the first house on the street with a television. It was tiny and all the kids in the neighborhood would come over to watch it. (We are the Jones family, you know. :wink2: )