GreaseSpot Cafe

REAL MEN ASK FOR DIRECTIONS

dmiller

What's so hard about that, eh???? If you're lost, admit it and ask.

I have NEVER had a problem asking for directions. I want to get to where I am going.

But then again -- I used to drive deliveries for a living, and time was money.

So my personal preference for asking "Which way do I need to go?",

morphed into the *professional* aspect of driving, which meant my paycheck.

I just got off of a 1,600 mile road trip, and was lost once. I didn't drive in circles.

I asked the first person I saw if they knew how to get to *such and such* a place.

They knew, and I didn't. No problem. I asked, and was on my way.

I got to where I wanted to go with no bruised ego because of the asking.

I hear truck drivers on the CB radio all the time asking for directions.

It must be a manly thing to do so over the CB, but not in the confines of the car,

with your wife and kids on a trip to Disney world..

Maybe it's the company in the vehicle that make the difference.

Scenario One: (with the wife and kids);

"Don't worry honey -- I know exactly where we are".

and we'll get to that amusement park, and the kids'll be happy in no time flat,

and we'll be lounging poolside before you know it"

Versus Scenario Two: (5 guys headed to a football game);

"Hey guys -- I KNOW where I'm going. Shut up, and let me drive."

Do you think scenario two would be accepted by the male participants??

Not hardly. They want to get to the game.

Asking (in this case), is perfectly acceptable, cause the guys want to get to the game.

So the *asking* is in the details.

Men -- if yer lost, admit it, and ask for directions.

IT JUST FEELS GOOD to get to where you want to go.:)

dmiller--------I too used to drive quite a lot as part of my job. Much of it was rural and we didn't have cell phones or GPS. Asking for directions was a necessity not a choice. I found that most people were eager to help.It made them feel productive and it got me where I needed to be. How can that be a bad thing? On a sidenote,though, I once stopped in a convenience store and asked the young lady behind the counter for directions. She told me to "go about a couple of miles past where Grandpaw's old swimmin' hole used to be and turn right where they cut down the big pine tree last year." :( I wanted to laugh but I realized no one would benefit from that. I probed a little deeper and got some route numbers and major intersections that proved to be the information I needed.

Of course, it just occurred to me that perhaps your post was metaphoric. :)

The best is when they get out of the car, lay the map open on the hood of the car and complain that the street they are looking for should be RIGHT HERE! Argue with the road map, why don't you? :asdf:

Thankfully, I don't do road trips with my Daddy and his Daddy anymore. :biglaugh:

Signed,

Belle, who doesn't even realize she's lost till she's WAY off the planned route.

(ask me about my 8 hour detour sometime)

When in a rural area, I usually ask for directions, when in the city, I depend on a map. There are too many people here in Lincoln who grew up on farms and couldn't give you a street address to save their lives! Lincoln has a pretty logical and consistant numbering system for the most part, so addresses are not that hard to find. Some of my ex-rural buddies still want to tell me to turn at the water tower until I pass grandma's house...just give me the d*mn address!

Even in the rural areas these days, they've gone to "911" addressses and labelled the gravel roads to help emergency vehicles find their way. I found that to me invaluable when I was delivering newspapers to the small towns and farms 5 years ago.

One thing that I have learned, is that MapQuest isn't infallible! I had zero problens since starting to use them in 2002 until this summer. We were in Florida, heading from our hotel to the rental car place where we would catch a shuttle to the airport. The directions had us getting off the freeway and getting right back on; this confused us and we got seriously lost. Almost missed our flight.