GreaseSpot Cafe

Truth is not a what, it's a who. God is Truth.

Jesus said, and I quote, "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (JCOP pg 130). His thoughts were God's Word. He spoke God's Word. He lived God's Word. Did this make him God?

Where does it say God is Truth? If it says that, then, given the exactness of language in the bible (which I don't agree is there, but for the sake of argument am using it), then Jesus MUST be God.

Of course, that goes for wherever it might say God is life or God is the way...

If anyone is left in the country with an ounce of perception of the truth, it's those of us who still have a Bible and can read it. (there was more to this post... but I'll stop here and let the mud start flyin' for those of you who wish to start slinging mud)

First, when one advances an opinion in a public forum like this and another disagrees or offers a different perspective, such criticism does not constitute "mudslinging."

Regarding the Bible and those who still have one and read it, the scribes, Pharisees and doctors of the law in Jesus had Bibles too. They were the Bible experts of their day. Scripture and religious discipline was their lives. They were looked upon as the very paragons truth and virtue. Yet, Jesus confronted them as blind leaders of the blind, whited seplechres and chided them for straining at the gnat while swallowing a camel, bending the peoples backs under the heavy load of their doctrine while omitting the more weightier things of mercy, judgment and truth.

One does not find Jesus dealing harshly with the drunkards, demoniacs, prostitutes even corrupt officials of his day as he deals with those who expound the Bible while casting a condescending eye toward the former.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

I like your definition George, in that truths according to your definition, cannot really be debated or argued. The grass is green. We could perhaps debate the exact shade, but there is no debating that it is green.

Usually, when I discuss something I believe about God, I state it that way - it is my belief.

Consensus theory holds that truth is whatever is agreed upon, or in some versions, might come to be agreed upon, by some specified group

...Thus, "group think".

Consensus theory seems to be the culprit in most religions...It's true if enough of us agree that it is?

I suppose that if we all agreed that spiders coming out of somebodies nose in a dream is "prophetic", then it would be "true"... :biglaugh:

IMHO lanquage is as precise as math.

Of course, there are exceptions to language not being exact, but I've rarely seen it in the Bible. When I have, it's always because of the figures of speech, which explained the exception.

Can't agree onthat one, Y, not at all. I doubt that even at the time a new word or expression is coined, it's meaning is exact. With exceptions of course, the meanings of words are largely subject to the point of view and interpretation of the hearer. While I wouldn't expect a plane to land in a school zone either, what does the sign "School Zone" mean, and just as importantly, imply? Is it just that there is a school there? Or are there special speed limits and increased penalties for drug trafficking? Is it an elementary school, or a vocational school?

And even among languages, the Hebrew of the OT is notoriously un[/u]exact, there were no vowels in the original, let alone puncuation. Hebrew is a language that is rich with figures of speech, which make it very inspiring and poetic, but difficult if you don't get the figures.

And don't forget that language grows and evolves. Who can't think of an example of a word or phrase that means something completely different now than it did when we were in high school?