GreaseSpot Cafe

NC first wintery

likeaneagle

We're mighty low on snow here. We have cold temps, but no snow. :(

Matter of fact -- the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon has been rescheduled,

due to lack of snow. At least a foot of the white stuff is needed on the ground,

for the safety of the paws of the dogs.

Right about now -- there is less than an inch, and that is sporadic.

Edited by dmiller

In MA--, I woke up to 6 degrees, Its now a blustery 18 at 2 PM, so far this year (knock wood) the snows been light--Not that bad, although when the single digits are out-it is just plain cold and forcing yourself out is a chore

I remeber being a wow in Lawrence during the Blizzard of 77 or 78... anywho... first time I'd lived up north... walking down the middle of the main street with snow up to my waist in my wonderful KMart parka with the fur of a mangey german shepherd around the hood (or so it seemed)... I thougt it was great! snow drifts halfway up the second stories... tunnels and secret hideouts! snow coming down so fast the plows couldn't keep up with it... 36 inches in 24 hours... (well, it was a big deal to the poor boy from Texas)

I remember when I was a kid listening to "the old folks" talk about the weather and how bad it was "back in (insert year)"... I thought, "HOW do they remember what the weather was like ten years ago? AND WHY DO THEY CARE?"

LOL! I guess I'll have to answer those questions when I start subjecting kids to the tales of living through four hurricanes in one year and the year the smoke from the great forest fires hung over the Daytona 500 and the devastation of Katrina and...... :spy:

Tom, I'm not poking fun at you! :( Honestly, I'm not!

I was just laughing, mostly at myself, at how, as a kid, this kind of talk was "so lame" to me and now I engage in it all the time and can see the fascination and how and why we remember those things. I LOVE when folks reminisce on here - like the "skitching" thread. I talked on there about the April Fool's Day snow in Mississippi my Freshman year in college (1987) - Heck, I remember that exact date, and even the time it started snowing! :biglaugh: It was a really big deal seeing as how it NEVER snowed like that my whopping 18 years of life in that very town.

Honestly, I wasn't trying to be mean. :redface: I'd remember it, too! In fact, I still have the 3 rolls of film my college boyfriend had to take of me in the 6 inches of snow that fell in one night when I was visiting him in Iowa. I couldn't believe how people were still getting around - the roads were clear - the piles of snow on the side of the road that were taller than me - everywhere we went I made him take pictures of me by the "big snow". :biglaugh:

Just as a kid, weather didn't seem all that important or memorable to me. I just hadn't experienced enough of it for it to have, I guess. We have the seasons in MS, but nothing extreme ... well, the thunderstorms, but those are cool and we got those quite a bit, so they weren't all that special.

Extreme Weather is a common experience that connects people together. Its one of the things I like about big storms. there is alittle preparation then the storm itself then the aftermath---then everyone seems overly open has some sort of story and the normalcy of people being in their own worlds goes away for a few days with everyone having been in the same boat---and on more or less the same page...I think that is what makes them memorable--at least to me...

I was in Utah at the time but my Dad still talks about the blizzard of '78 once in awhile and whoever is there will recount where they were and what happened to them and it rolls on ...the footage of the cars stuck on RTE 128 for five days still gets trotted out everytime a Noreaster is on the way.

Im a big fan of winter storms on the ocean......thats a real sight