GreaseSpot Cafe

weenie roast

coolchef

Ah yes, Cabana boys or Cabana girls, whomever keeps bringing the ice cold fruity drinks with little umbrella's pushed through the marishino cherries, that's who I mean.

Good to see you LikeAnEagle, all settled in? So glad we got to meet you while you were still in the sunny south!

Suda

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the wedding will be the week or weekend before Labor Day, so for the princess and me Labor Day weekend looks best - we'll already be in TN. :biglaugh:

That Land between the Lakes you mentioned on the way home from last year's Roast sounds interesting to me, though I am flexible...

Yes, I am settled in..this place is so beautiful...altho, the watch out for MOOSE signs freak me alittle.:) I am use to 10 pointers buck gone wild during rut..but moose in rut..wow! I feel at home...I may take up french since it seems to be a second language. It was so wonderful to meet you all too..its history making in itself..

So you all come and visit us here in New England..Paw you too!!

Don't know how the NorthEast and South get-togethers got lumped together, but tis okay with me.

I've listed weekends good for us. And two places in KY for suggestions. Any input?

For next summer would be nice to do a National or International Greasespot Cafe Reunion somewhere. With a year's planning in advance, think lots of people could be ready by the summer of 2008. Anyone have the stats on where all the GSC's are located so they could estimate a good central place based upon who populates the cafe? If we could get a location and date set now, people could plan vacation times, etc. around it if they were interested in attending. With Labor Day and Memorial Day always being a long weekends, maybe they would be good dates. Labor Day is much better for us as May is usually hectic, but I'm game for either.

If someone will provide the "geographic center" of GSC posters, I'll try to do some checking into places.

Suda (who loves a good party)

Abigail here - I don't know what is central geographically, but I can tell you Greasespot has a large number of Michigan posters so I vote we have one here in Michigan. :biglaugh: Rascal and I were talking about trying to organize something in the Upper Penninsula.

It seems to me that most people think "centrally located" is awfully near where they live. Coincidence? I think not. How about all the decisions getting made by people in CA or NY? Then maybe we'll see what is centrally located.

Edited by pawtucket

Does there have to be an "Official Weenie Roast?"

I like the idea of multiple get-togethers throughout the year and around the country. They get announced and folks get there if they can. We sure were thrilled to have Mo and Lori at our Texas BBQ! (Sorry - I don't do weenies...)

Dooj,

Agree, I like multiple get togethers at different locations at differing times during the year. Would be less confusing to me if each locale used it's own name and not all get togethers be called a "weenie roast". Seems the Weenie Roast is what those in the Mid South host. The BBQ seems to be the name for the Texas get together. Maybe the North East one will be called the Lobstah and Clam Bake - guess the group at Chas's house over Labor Day will dub their "official" name.

As the Bowtwi's will already be in the area over Labor Day, that seems to be a good time for the Mid-South weenie roast. Maybe Sudo or I can check into some information about it soon.

Suda

Dooj - I don't do weenies either - I AM ONE!

People eat whatever they choose.

One Roast Rascal taught me how to make biscuits & gravy. We eat it now every other week or so - I believe that was the 2nd Roast.

Rascal brought a ham she'd baked at home and brought up one time and that was some of the best sandwiches I'd ever had.

If Sudo is going to make his famous (or infamous, I don't know yet) better than sex stew again, I'll be sure to be there the first night.

Sushi made outstanding biscuits & gravy another year.

Anything Littlehawk's cooked has been to die for scrumptious too!

Rascal's Hannah is an expert s'mores maker, by the way.

Those are just off the top of my head memories. My point is I don't believe I've ever eaten a weenie at a roast, although I've seen plenty roasted...

Just bring whatever you want to bring and if you bring enough to share, others will eat it, no doubt!

It seems to me that most people think "centrally located" is awfully near where they live. Coincidence? I think not. How about all the decisions getting made by people in CA or NY? Then maybe we'll see what is centrally located.

Paw - I live about in the center of the USA. The question I answered when I said I figured the center was near my house was (I'm copying and pasting, as I don't know how to quote twice in one post the proper way) suda's and I quote:

"For next summer would be nice to do a National or International Greasespot Cafe Reunion somewhere. With a year's planning in advance, think lots of people could be ready by the summer of 2008. Anyone have the stats on where all the GSC's are located so they could estimate a good central place based upon who populates the cafe? If we could get a location and date set now, people could plan vacation times, etc. around it if they were interested in attending. With Labor Day and Memorial Day always being a long weekends, maybe they would be good dates. Labor Day is much better for us as May is usually hectic, but I'm game for either.

If someone will provide the "geographic center" of GSC posters, I'll try to do some checking into places.

Suda (who loves a good party)"

The bolding was mine to point out the question I answered.

I see no coincidence with my answer - I see a map of the USA.

I have no qualms with anyone having a Roast anywhere. I tried to make the Texas BBQ last fall. I went to the mini GS gathering, as I think they called it at the !'s one year wedding anniversary. I have met a lot of GSers and strongly encourage anyone who is so inclined to do it too.

You could certainly have a New England Roast or you could attend the Southern Comfort Weenie Roast and whatever the gathering in the TN or KY area was dubbed. I'm sure nobody would mind. And I bet if you hosted one, plenty would come. As I've read the plans for the New England get together I tried to fit that into our schedule, as I'd LOVE to attend, but I'm committed to the Southern Comfort Weenie Roast and my son's wedding, so our vacations are pretty well set already for this year.

You might notice that I was playing around when I suggested near my house, maybe that didn't communicate here in cyberland, but I'd made more than one post where I mentioned wanting to attend one in TN or KY. Not to mention that over this past year more than once, I've agreed to an Arkansas location for a Roast.

I'm not trying to get you all to come to my area - I think I've proven that I'm willing to incur the expense and do the traveling it takes to meet as many of you as I can.

I don't see a coincidence here.

Edited by bowtwi

Guess what I found when I googled "center of the USA", not even "geographical center ..."

Lebanon, Kansas - Geographic Center of the 48 States

Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States is located just north and west of Lebanon, KS, adjacent to a pasture and overseen by a friendly-if-nonplussed herd of cows. The Center is a small grass patch containing a 10 ft. high stone podium and flagpole, on which U.S. and Kansas flags fly. A small plaque on the podium informs visitors that a government geographic survey in 1898(?) established this spot as the center of the continental U.S. A picnic table allows you to contemplate the the equilibrium of your surroundings. Nearby is a tiny hut, the Chapel at the Center, which invites you to pray (a bible is provided at the altar; it was open to the book of Revelation when we visited) and sign the guestbook. Souvenirs, a sign informs you, are available back down the road in the town of Lebanon.

KSLEBuscenter.jpg Lebanon, Kansas - U.S. Center Chapel This is a very small chapel outside of Lebanon. The chapel has seating for about 6 friendly people and was well kept up. It is purported to be "the Geographical Center of the U.S.A." It sits on a little rise overlooking a corn field. Nearby is a defunct motel. You can get info on how to get there from the cafe in Lebanon. [Penny Spring, 06/16/2002]

Here's the link: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/getAtt...ractionNo==7032

I happen to live 246 miles from the geographic center of the USA. Now THAT might be a coincidence.

Check out Eugene T. Mahoney State Park in southeast NE (Ashland) between Lincoln and Omaha. Has large lodge with restaurant, fully equipped cabins which sleep 6 - 8 with kitchens, and nice campsites for RV's and tents.

Do we have any posters from Nebraska? What do you know about this place? Any other suggestions about your neck of the woods?

Will try and call Monday and check on prices, etc.

Looks like it could be lots of fun!

Suda

Edited by Suda