GreaseSpot Cafe

weenie roast

coolchef

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free,

I've heard of KC's famous BBQ. But seems everyone sez they have great BBQ. Memphis is especially famous for its BBQ but personally I think the sauce is too sweet. I think KC's sauce is too sweet as well. I make my sauce with much more vinegar and lots less molasses. To each their own, though, eh?

What I like about these GS get-togethers though is getting to know each other. Getting to appreciate our shared experiences. Getting some time to let your hair down. Getting moonshine.. Hee-hee!

sudo (looking for the nearest pole)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone interested in planning the 2007 Weenie Roast? Last year we gathered in August and Gwinn Island in Kentucky. Nice place. Have also talked about Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky near the Tennessee and Arkansas borders.

If you're interested in attending, let me know. Would love to meet up with fellow GSC'ers again soon.

Suda

Thought I'd throw out some weekends that would be good for us.

August 3 - 5

August 10 - 12

August 24 - 26

August 31 - Sept 3 (Labor Day Weekend)

Sept 14 -16

Sept 28 - 30 (Sudo's birthday, he'll be 55!)

Oct 26 - 28

Nov 9 - 11

After that, no time till after the holidays for us.

I think Labor Day weekend sounds good. That gives us two full days together, with a day for travel on each end. If that's good for others, we better plan it fast so we can reserve a place big enough for all of us.

What say ye?

Suda

Edited by Suda

The princess and I are interested, but I have to wait to see just when bow jr's getting married. Labor Day week was their first choice and the week before their second, but they don't know yet when Pauli can get time off work so we're waiting to hear about that. Just wanted to mention that we're up for it unless the wedding interferes.

Not to derail the weenie roast thread, but I've heard rumblings of some cows needing bbq-ing in TX. October or November works for me. But I don't wanna do it unless Tommy Strange comes....... :wink2:

Maybe we could transplant the BBQ to New England? Or the weenie roast to TX?

Paw, you meanie, you didn't invite me to the New England get together. :biglaugh:

I for one am planning to be at the Texas BBQ this fall. Hope Sudo can join me - he may have to be in Oxford watching the Rebels play football, though.

And I hope we can get a weenie roast going somewhere in the NC, TN, KY, ARK, AL area. Would be lots of fun.

I don't think 3 in one year is too many. In fact, seems like too few to me. Let's get together, get to know each other, and have a blast as often as we can.

Suda

Don't know how the NorthEast and South get-togethers got lumped together, but tis okay with me.

I've listed weekends good for us. And two places in KY for suggestions. Any input?

For next summer would be nice to do a National or International Greasespot Cafe Reunion somewhere. With a year's planning in advance, think lots of people could be ready by the summer of 2008. Anyone have the stats on where all the GSC's are located so they could estimate a good central place based upon who populates the cafe? If we could get a location and date set now, people could plan vacation times, etc. around it if they were interested in attending. With Labor Day and Memorial Day always being a long weekends, maybe they would be good dates. Labor Day is much better for us as May is usually hectic, but I'm game for either.

If someone will provide the "geographic center" of GSC posters, I'll try to do some checking into places.

Suda (who loves a good party)

If someone will provide the "geographic center" of GSC posters, I'll try to do some checking into places.

Suda (who loves a good party)

KY and TN are personal favorites of mine, but I must say it seems to me that the geographic center of the GS community would be somewhere a little northeast of Kansas City, Missouri - I know of a couple campgrounds and a GS family that has a pretty big fenced-in backyard and a pool (hint, hint).

A party at Bowtwi's - a great idea!

Wouldn't surprise me if Kansas City was the "geographically central" location, or at least close to it. Loved the area when I visited last summer, and am up for seeing more of Kansas. But if it's gonna be outside, which is cooler usually, late May or early September? I remember Emporia, Kansas feeling like I was standing in front of a blow dryer on high heat! Hot, dry, and windy, but no cooling off by the wind. Course, that could mean I'd be able to spend all my time in the pool in my bathing tootie. Will there be a poolside bar? Complete with waiters?

Suda