GreaseSpot Cafe

Invisalign Anyone?

Nottawayfer

I am considering getting Invisalign. Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable aligners to gradually move your teeth. You wear a set of aligners for about two weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, brush and floss. As you replace each set of aligners with the next in the series, your teeth will gradually move until they reach the position your doctor has prescribed for you. The average treatment time is about a year. I've always had crooked teeth, and my parents never thought braces were important. Anyone get Invisalign, the alternative to metal mouth?

If you have, I'd love to hear your experience with it and the cost too if you don't mind.

Have never used them myself, but the orthodontist we refer our patients to (and who treated our children) uses them a lot and has only good things to say about the results. He offered to treat me and I may take him up on it, especially for my lower teeth.

One word of caution, the "appliances" (for lack of a better word) that you wear are very sensitive to food coloring and will take on the color of some things you eat and drink, like cheetos, cola, coffee, etc., so be sure to ask about this. Would be horrid to have to go around with orange teeth for 2 weeks because of snacking on cheetos while wearing your invisalign.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Suda

My son's fiance wears an Invisalign retainer - she wore regular braces for 2 years. I asked her what she'd say to you. She said they're wonderful and she wished she had used the Invisalign braces too. She said that if she had it to do over again, she'd definitely choose the Invisalign braces.

She said they're the single most impressive use of plastic she's seen in her lifetime. I've seen her with the retainer in and unless you really look for it, you don't see it.

She estimated they'll cost about $7500 for both uppers and lowers.

My 10-year-old's metal braces cost $5100 - and they're gold plated (gold plated? They're gold, not silver, but I forget the term right now)!

I had braces for almost 2 years - from 2002-2004. I had to have 4 extractions before the braces were applied and I had to go for regular adjustments, etc. When the braces came off I had to wear a retainer for about 3 months but didn't mind because it is clear. I still wear the retainers at night and will need to for the rest of my life. The whole process cost about $2,200. The price included teeth whitening, which I need to do again.

I compared the price and time of the regular braces vs. Invisi-line. The time and price were much less for regular braces but they were not comfortable. I lost around 40 lbs with the braces and looked damn good when they came off. Of course, that's also about the same time I got pregnant with Andreas and the weight found me all over again... sigh...

Anyhow, you might want to do a little comparison shopping.

All the women at my orthodontist's office used it when they first came out and you really couldn't tell they were wearing them. They loved the results they were getting. Of course, they paid (or didn't have to pay) nearly as much as the average joe would. I should get braces, but I'm just so darned used to seeing my crooked teeth I don't much care anymore..... that, and there's this natural wood looking tile floor I'd rather have....... :biglaugh:

they are pricier than regular braces...$3500 vs $5000 for inivisalign because you're paying for a custom set of 36 trays, traded out every two weeks.

Not recommended for young kids because they can easily lose them, step on them, etc.

the other option was for clear brackets on teeth and a very thin wire...but I didn't like the hassle of food stuck in them. I made monthly payments which made it affordable over time.

cost may vary depending on where you live.