GreaseSpot Cafe

NOW WHAT? New motherboard and safe mode?!

ChasUFarley

Sorry for starting a new thread on this but I know some of you who are "in the know" would be more apt to read this than the one about the initial problem.

My computer had a damaged motherboard, which got replaced. I just got the computer back from Best Buy via UPS today. YIPPEE!

BUT...

It boots up in safe mode.

I don't have the Windows XP disk - it was preinstalled.

What now?

How can I get it out of safe mode?

Thanks in advance for your help... I feel like a fish out of water without it.

Update: It's headed back to the shop. I'm so mad I could spit nails right now. There's something loose in one of the fans (it has 3) - that sounds like it's grinding against the blades. It just started about two mins. after I booted up. I knew there was a loose screw in it when I took it out of the box and took the back off to take the screw out. But now there's something else.... I can't believe this... good grief!

God first

Beloved ChasUFarley

God loves you my dear friend

I believe I call them and tell them you want a replacement computer if they can not do better job fixing it then this

because it should never came back in safe mode and with a lose screw

and I call the head store or email them

wish I could be more help

but this is just me and I understand what you are saying

years ago I had a Packward Bell that I went round and round with they replace every part three times but it never worked right but last I got my money back and got a differ brand

today I have a Dell because they fix it on site while I like others like gateway I do not like shiping it in to fix while its new

I am sorry this is happening

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Well, getting it fixed isn't going to cost more $ because I had bought an extended warranty but it will cost me time and travel (the nearest Best Buy is almost an hour away). It's been painful because all the software on it that I usually use for work is on THAT computer. I've gotten way behind and buried in work. There is certainly some loose parts in that thing rattling around - I can't see them when I open the case but can hear them when I gently rock the thing. One rattling noise is coming from inside the power supple box (the NEW power supply... sigh...)...

Hopefully, I'll be able to get it there today, depending on the roads (it snowed last night a bit and its still snowing.)

Awee, sorry your having such an issue with the non"Geek Squad" . Maybe you can send em over here and we can teach em a few things.

Right Bluze?

Well, we could show 'em how to put screws back in correctly. :)

I have heard some bad things about the "geek squad". From what I've heard, their favorite "fix" is reformatting the hard drive. Without saving any of your data, of course!

Rick

I took the thing in and dropped it off a couple of days ago.

I was told that reinstalling XP would be $99 - I almost went postal. I kept my cool but promptly asked for the manager and then asked him for his manager's name and number. I was ready to crawl up the chain of command on this one. I had my paperwork in my fist and said, "This is NOT what I paid for!" Then I explained the whole saga to the guy. I never raised my voice or got rude - I was very in control but there was no mistaken that I was not happy. I told them this was their PROBLEM and they never should have shipped it back like that. I told them they were going to fix the problem and it was not going to cost me any more because it was already costing me a lot of time and trouble - A TON OF TIME AND TROUBLE.

Yeah, I was sorta the customer from hell that day.

They said it would take about 3-4 hours to reinstall XP, so I'd have to make another trip to get it back, and they'd do it for FREE. Good answer.

Well, today I got a call from Geek Squad.

It might be my processor or the hard drive now, but the thing won't let them install XP.

I started bucking for a new computer pronto. I don't know how far that will go, but they promised to expedite this - yaddy, yaddy, yaddy.

All I can say is IT BETTER BE RIGHT THIS TIME...

:offtopic:

NEVER, and I do mean NEVER ask this question about ANYTHING. It is tempting Fate, and she is a capricious wench.

YES I AM! :biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens again...

No computer for another 2 week - some griping on the phone got me a loaner.

Had the new motherboard replaced, a new hard drive, and another new power supply put in the thing.

Now I gotta get the backup discs from HP to partition the thing off and install XP - that adds another week to this.

I'm glad this was under warranty but gotta wonder if all these new parts were really necessary - I mean, really!

They've had my machine for nearly a month - it will be over a month by the time I get it back.

UNBELIEVABLE!

I will never deal the Geek Squad again. This sucks!

I got the reformatting disks from HP and took them to Best Buy so they could finish setting it up.

I dropped them off and was told it would be a couple of hours, so... I went shopping...

I came back 2 hours later, the tech was almost done. Then, the computer locked up and the screen was nothing but lines.

Now, the video card was bad...

PER THE WARRANTY, I am now due a new computer of similar specs!

YIPPEE - I feel like I just won the lottery... :dance:

I was told it will take about a week, but... I'm hoping it happens like that...

I was told it will take about a week, but... I'm hoping it happens like that...

To affect human behavior, one needs to find the proper motivation. You could mention something about a picket line in front of their store, and perhaps, a news crew might show up. I would think this would speed things up for you. :biglaugh::evildenk:

Sushi -

Well, I took your advice and pitched a fit on Friday when I hadn't head back from BB about it. They had said they would expidite things - but wating all that time didn't seem that way to me. So, I called the Corporate Headquarters (Home Office). I asked for whomever was at the top of the customer service food chain and told them my gripe. I wasn't mean about it - I'm just not the type to get in people's faces - but I did clearly communicate that this had been a horrible experience.

Satuday I got call from Geek Squad - the Lemon Policy was in effect - I could get a new computer.

During this time, I decided that my next computer would be a Mac.

Today, I picked up my new G5. (Yup, now we got His & Hers G5s) It's got the 17" screen, Intel 2Duo, 1gig RAM, 160gig harddrive, superdrive (CD/DVD burner), and all the bells and whistle.

Hi, I'm a Mac....

apple_imac_g5_isight.jpg

Got a new printer for it, too - due to a special going on...

All for my old computer (which was 3 years old) and $260 more for the difference.

The moral of the story: Geek Squad has slow service and no forethought for the customer, but BB has a good Lemon Policy in the long run, which could make it worth it...

i am truly jealous.

I'm glad you got your new computer FINALLY Chas! ...and that you're a happy camper now!

(I'm sure the hubs is too!)

...but I'm not jealous like paw... I like my little machine... and (knock on wood) I don't know why, but I just don't have computer problems... I'm lucky that way and it's a good thing because I would've fried them a long time ago... I couldn't be as patient as you were...