Vegetarians/Vegans

Bluzeman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems to me animals that get shot have one of the easier deaths. The wild kingdom is totally heartless. Animals eat each other all the time, often very slowly. Just last night the little farm doggies were barking like crazy. I didn't get out fast enough to get a good shot at the coyote, and for several hours thought it had gotten one of the little dogs. Fortunately it came out from hiding later. Everybody is eating on somebody.

Those cute little putty cats like to torment mice to death. To save the most life, get rid of all those bad cats. (they don't get along too well with birdies either)

Just because...

Navin R. Johnson: Well I'm gonna to go then. And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this.

[picks up an ashtray]

Navin R. Johnson: And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.

[walking outside]

Navin R. Johnson: And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.

[dog barks]

Navin R. Johnson: I don't need my dog.

Bluzeman asked:

If their was a very promising treatment or even cure for aids, and the ONLY way to find out if it is safe is to test it on say, rhesus monkey's first, would you be against that? And again, I'm saying if it was the ONLY way to test it to see if it's safe. Now, next question. What if there was an alternative but it would take 5 years longer to conclude wheather or not it's safe? Would you tell all of those people who are in the final stages of the disease that there is a possible cure but due to laws banning animal testing, it won't be available until your already dead?

There ARE other safe ways to test besides using animals. As far as AIDS, non-animal clinical, epidemiological, and in vitro studies have found the virus that causes AIDS and have shown how the virus is spread in people. Researchers relied on epidemiology and in vitro lab work to identify, track, and isolate new strains of HIV before they spread. These methods were recently responsible for stopping an epidemic of drug-resistant AIDS in New York City. There ARE faster ways to test than using animals. Every HIV vaccine that passed animal testing has failed in human clinical trials. They can't even get an animal infected with HIV unless they are injected with many different strains, and that is not the strain people are infected with. There is no excuse for using animals for testing.

I don't think that PETA is presuming to judge what is cruel and what is not. I think they, and other animal rights groups, are trying to show that it is unethical to use animals unnecessarily.

There is the documented case where monkeys were used in experiments that lead to some unbelievable results with Parkinson's. When the man that benefited from the treatments showed how he could control his tremors with a literal flip of a switch, animal rights activists called him a murderer. Maybe the real murders are the ones stopping experiments that would lead to cures for horrible diseases that plague all of mankind.

Are animals equal to humans? Are they to be given the same rights and then also privileges as humans. If the animal rights activists get their way what will become of the vast dairy herds on the dairy farms they oppose?

Animal cruelty against another animal is that tolerable and permissible? Does the coyote get the animal rights activists blessing as it rips to pieces the sheep? What else would happen to the millions and millions of sheep in herds that provide wool and meat?

Stem cells offer a much better resource than monkeys as far as Parkinson's research is concerned. Remember the controversy surrounding Michael J. Fox's commercial about whether or not he took his Parkinson's medications? The message of the commercials was to vote for people who would allow stem cell research because it is so much better than using monkeys.

just a refresher ...all stem cell research is legal I think

embryonic stem cell research is legal, but not government supported

except for the very many lines that are already being researched ... with perhaps limitless possibilities, they are governement supported

and non embryonic have provided all the real results so far

and non embryonic seem to be more promising than embryonic, as far as I understand ...

Edited by rhino

Stem cells offer a much better resource than monkeys as far as Parkinson's research is concerned. Remember the controversy surrounding Michael J. Fox's commercial about whether or not he took his Parkinson's medications? The message of the commercials was to vote for people who would allow stem cell research because it is so much better than using monkeys.

Sure, you show me how they can drill and wire stem cells to see if the idea will work as they proved with the monkeys so the man could live a much more normal life, then I will consider the argument.